Where's Nicer - Berwick, Frankston South, Ringwood North, Mount Eliza or Langwarrin?

richdownunder

Hello,

I'd like to understand from local residents what area they consider to be nicer from Berwick, Frankston South, Ringwood North, Mount Eliza or Langwarrin and their nearby suburbs. We are a family with a 7 year old so good primary schools would be key as would commuting times into CBD although I don't mind a journey of an 60-75 mins as that's what I do at present.

I know everyones view are very subjective and what may be nice for one may not be for the other and I understand that. We will be looking for a property in the region of $550,000 when we move in the next few months and really can't decide which is why we're asking.

We've been to each of the areas and like all of them, although we did find Ringwood a bit too far from Mornington Peninsular where we like, but we know the commute times are better which is why we are still considering it.

Would appreciate any views and comments or maybe suggestions on hidden gems that we may not have listed above.

Thanks so much.

Guest The Pom Queen

If I had to put them in order for me personally it would be my favourite first

Mt Eliza

Berwick

Frankston South

Ringwood

Langwarrin

On transport I would put them at :

South Frankston

Langwarrin

Mount Eliza but might be too pricey

Berwick

Ringwood North.

Other suburbs around that might be of interest could be Patterson Lakes, Harbour Town, on the Peninsula, Somerville where I live as we have good transport links, train and bus and are very close to the new bypass road. Ten minutes from Frankston, Mount Eliza and Mornington.

Going further in you could look at Mordialloc, Parkdale nice areas, good shopping.

I get the drift that you want to be near the beach so am not mentioning suburbs which are a longish way from the Beach.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one. Most of the active members are fairly new to Aus and may be able to give you more perspective than us people who have lived here for yonks.

Good luck

I would almost echo Petals words, having lived in Frankston for 11 years, and in Somerville for 21 years. I would not consider Lanwarrin myself, but would replace that with Somerville, or even Baxter. In Somerville or Baxter, you will get more bang for your buck in those areas compared to South Frankston or Mount Eliza.

I would almost echo Petals words, having lived in Frankston for 11 years, and in Somerville for 21 years. I would not consider Lanwarrin myself, but would replace that with Somerville, or even Baxter. In Somerville or Baxter, you will get more bang for your buck in those areas compared to South Frankston or Mount Eliza.

Shush we should not give it away, off topic but did you see that they have put us on the map now, I even saw blow ins in the Supermarket, never happened till those signs went up :laugh:. Most people in Somerville who move move to another place in Somerville so I was told by an agent. I know quite a few who have moved from the acreage to small blocks in town when the kids left home. We have been here for 26 years this year.

Its just so great, walking distance to everything.

Shush we should not give it away, off topic but did you see that they have put us on the map now, I even saw blow ins in the Supermarket, never happened till those signs went up :laugh:. Most people in Somerville who move move to another place in Somerville so I was told by an agent. I know quite a few who have moved from the acreage to small blocks in town when the kids left home. We have been here for 26 years this year.

Its just so great, walking distance to everything.

Love it here Sue. My thoughts are that after Aldi is built, that we should build a wall around Somerville, and make it into a gated community.:jiggy:

Mt Eliza

Ringwood North

Berwick

Frankston

Langwarrin

This is is what I'd go for. Mt Eliza is lovely but downside is where it is- too far from the city. Ringwood North is very middle class suburbia close to trains and good transport and good schools ( different from Ringwood, note) Berwick used to be the Dandenong overspill, enough said, Frankston - just don't like it much personally though many do, Langwarin a bit of a way from anything but I don't know it very well.

Hi I have lived in Berwick, Langwarrin, and Frankston South and have liked different aspects of all those places, Berwick has good restaurants, Bistros and Cafe, even night clubs, But not a good shopping Centre, unless you travel to Fountain Gate, Frankston South is nice again with the added bonus of being near the beach and nature reserves with good transport links (the Nepean highway) Train and shopping Centre at Frankston and Prices for houses are fair, Langwarrin is a bit different it straddles main roads and intersections, but still remains a backwater, yes it has pubs, restaurants, shopping Centres, all quite small and fragmented, but it does have good schools

My area list would be

Mt Eliza nice but Pricey

Berwick

Frankston South

Langwarrin

Baxter

Ringwood

• 3 weeks later...
Fountain Gate is 5 mins from Berwick and has just had a massive re-fit. As for Berwick being the overspill for Dandenong....hmmm, not heard of that one before. Love Berwick personally.

Berwick is too far from the beaches for me. Nothing like going to the beach with the kids after school and it only taking a 10 minute drive. Fountain Gate is a 40 minute drive from Somerville.

Love it here Sue. My thoughts are that after Aldi is built, that we should build a wall around Somerville, and make it into a gated community.:jiggy:

Just saw this post what a good idea, we will put out the "Full" sign.

I am always amazed that we have such a great place to live and we can walk to everything, if we want to lol. New consultants suites at the docs looking good.

Also good being up on the hill when global warming takes over we will be an Island, Somerville Island has a ring to it.

can I just put in a good word for Ringwood North as I grew up there. Great schools - big choice. Very established with proper shops, cinemas, frequent trains, buses all over the place. Also has a major public hospital (and soon a Costco if that floats your boat). The Eastern Freeway is a very quick run into town (off peak!). Check out Eastlink access straight down to the Peninsula for beaches in about half an hour.

Mordialloc is also nice if you want to be by the sea. I always think Berwick is a long way out and that Monash Freeway can be really busy.

Archived