Advice & tips on preparing a pack for renting applications

NPKA

Hi, looking for advice & tips on preparing a pack for potential agents if we applied for a rental..

Travelling to perth in April, family of 2ad, 3child, (12, 5, 1)

we are aware the rental market is very tight at the min, husband is travelling 1st in next few weeks, but won't have the time to look or inspect houses, tbh id rather do it!! we have friends who we r staying with but im planning on house hunting once the jet lag eases as iv 2 kids school age & need them in a catchment area for schooling asap.

Basically if theres anyone to has recently secured a rental could they share there experience.

many thanks

Hi, looking for advice & tips on preparing a pack for potential agents if we applied for a rental..

we are aware the rental market is very tight at the min, husband is travelling 1st in next few weeks, but won't have the time to look or inspect houses, tbh id rather do it!! we have friends who we r staying with but im planning on house hunting once the jet lag eases as iv 2 kids school age & need them in a catchment area for schooling asap.

Basically if theres anyone to has recently secured a rental could they share there experience.

many thanks

Hope this helps ... I arrived in Brisbane a week ago and picked up the keys to a flat yesterday. A minor miracle considering I have no job and only 6 months rental record in the UK. I followed the format I used when I moved to UK from Melb 18 months ago - we were unable to get a rental because we had no uk credit history, no rental record, despite my husband having a good job. In the end we just offered to pay 6 months up front - and of course we got a rental straightaway.

So I tried the same tactic here in Brisbane, but I offered 3 months upfront 'if needed'. I made sure I had 2 really good references ready. And printed a screen shot of all my bank balances (with account info blacked out). I also typed a one page statement of my situation. I was also lucky to find someone who was willing to act as guarantor, and had that all typed out ready. After I lodged my application I emailed them daily so they didn't forget me.

I know the rental market is pretty tight around Oz, and many people aren't able to offer rent upfront, but I think offering more than the usual week/2 weeks rent might carry some weight. I think in the end they want to know you can pay.

Good luck, I am sure you will get something.

many thanks

Hi, we followed advice from PIO i.e. taking photocopies of documents before you fly out (less hassle) and taking ID with us whenever we went to view a property. Get an Oz bank account and medicare card asap as these can be used for ID. Also, check if your kids school has a catchment area as ours doesn't which would mean you have more freedom about where you live. Good luck x

Hi. I gave the agent my bank statement which had a healthy balance at that time as I had just moved to Oz. I also gave them a letter explaining that I was new to Oz and I was due to start a job and how much it would pay. My manager and banker both kindly agreed to provide references for me which was amazing coz I had only been here for 1 week and was not sure where I'ld get the references from. I think they basically want to know that you'll be able to pay the rent. However, Perth really has a rentals problem so may not be as easy to get into. Good luck with your search.

As a landlord I want to know that you're going to pay on time and look after the joint, you'll see people saying how they prepared letters outlining their past and what they want to do in the future for the landlord - don't bother, I won't see them. Look presentable when you meet the agent and give them a good impression, as ultimately I base my decision on what the agent tells me about you.

Personally paying many months rent upfront is something I won't accept as it screws up my accounting

is it really hard to find somewhere to rent ? I see heaps advertised why is it so difficult? I noticed they don't seem to do viewings whenever u want them to. does that mean everyone views together and fights over it if it's nice ? how does it work ? first in gets it ? does the landlord choose from list of interested parties ?

is it really hard to find somewhere to rent ? I see heaps advertised why is it so difficult? I noticed they don't seem to do viewings whenever u want them to. does that mean everyone views together and fights over it if it's nice ? how does it work ? first in gets it ? does the landlord choose from list of interested parties ?

It can be quite difficult coz everyone goes along to the viewing at the same time!!you all hand in your applications then the landlord decides so you have to put your best foot forward.

Archived