Hypnobirthing stories anyone?

Anna333

I'm 6 months along with my second and reading up on hypnobirthing with the hope that I can get my head into the philosophy and go ahead with it for the birth this time. I had a fab experience with my first using active birthing methods having practised pregnancy yoga prior to his birth. A bad knee injury means that active birthing is not a great option for me this time round, so really want to give hypnobirthing a go. I'm struggling to buy into the approach 100% so just looking for positive stories if people have them?!

I used hypno birthing techniques with my girls, saying that nothing goes to plan and my first daughter Caoimhe was over two weeks overdue and so I could not have the home birth. Had a 3 day labour which ended in all the interventions. Ypno birthing helped throughout all of it. It kept me relaxed- especially until at the end when I went down the road of c section.

Bummer about your knee - are you able to a water birth?

Windswept I've tried hypnosis once and was fairly susceptible to it. I don't have trouble with the relaxation side of it. I think the thing for me is more getting over the 'there's no such thing as pain' as I had immense back pain throughout number one until quite near the end. He was in optimal position so never got to the bottom of this pain. The other thing is because I'm so sold on active birth the thought or sitting or laying still just seems like you're not using gravity and your body positioning to the best advantage during birth.

Playghirl thanks for sharing. Pleased to hear about the relaxation element helping you. I'd be interested if you experienced discomfort with the surges or just the tightness that hypnobirthing goes on about? I tried water birth with the first but after the initially relief it gave my back I was shortly in a similar amount of discomfort and actually found a better position outside the pool, so not actually bothered about water this time around. I have restricted movement in my knee which means I can really bend it beyond 90 degrees, kneel or bear weight on it... far from ideal!

I was terrified of childbirth and hypnobirthing was the reason I managed a water birth with my first. It was fantastic. Having said that by the time I was getting to around 7 centimetres dilated the hypnobirthing went out the window and I felt it really tough to stay in self hypnosis, but to be honest I am OK with that, I managed with gas and air and the water itself was a massive relief. I practised the techniques during my second pregnancy but went two weeks overdue and had to be induced in the end. I had read that some people found it useful in inductions but in my case hypnobirthing didn't even get a look in. My waters were broken so things went from 0-100 in a matter of minutes. It was too quick for an epidural, although I begged for one- It was all over in an hour and 45 minutes! I have a couple of books and dvd's if you're interested- pm me. Good luck.

I used it with my third as I couldn't have a home birth like I had with my second. It helped to keep me calm & relaxed when I was being induced as I hate the over-medicalisation of birthing in hospital. When I was 2 mins away from an emergency c-section, OH said I looked completely oblivious to what was going on. I could hear & understand, I just concentrated in remaining in my deep state of relaxation.

You will need a good birth plan, a team that will actually read it, and an excellent 'gate-keeper' or birthing partner who will speak for you if need be. All sounds a bit hippy, OH wasn't convinced but it definitely worked for me. I didn't pay for a course either, got the cd & book off eBay! Can't remember the name! Hope you get the birthing experience you want.

Google Juju Sundin she is a physio in one of the private hospitals in North Sydney . I couldn't get on one of her courses but had great success using some of the techniques outlined in her book , in what was a very prolonged induction. I was just sorry that I didn't find her untill my 3rd and last pregnancy. The UK edition of her book was cheapest , I bought it from the book depository

My wife dragged me (reluctantly) to a series of classes before we had our little boy but I can safely say I came out a convert. Really it's all just down to relaxation and 'mind over matter'. It might not be the answer to everyones birthing fears etc and we did end up having quite a complicated birth which required intervention, but I was amazed that my wife went far far longer (almost right to the end, no gas or anything) without any pain relief than I would have imagined. It gives you something to focus on and whilst it is not a cure all, some of the techniques share many similarities with other forms of relaxation so if you find stuff like yoga etc work then it might be useful giving it a go. there is stuff which I have taken away from the classes that I use to help myself nod off when I've had 'one of those days' and if the key is being relaxed then you can't get much more relaxed than being asleep!

Hi Anna333, I attended a course that follows the Mongan method. You can buy the books and CDs however learning the different breathing breathing techniques for the different stages of labor is really important. Its not just about hypnosis, its dealing with the whole birth process. I used to swim wearing a MP3 player and the Hypnobirthing CDs would be playing in my ear. It really put me in a good mindset for delivery and beyond. I have had 2 in the last 2 years, both natural births and pretty easy and over quickly. I used the mental imagery, breathing and physical relaxation techniques. The minute you get tense, the labor slows. I also sat on a physio ball before and during labor and then progressed onto a delivery bed which could be contorted so you could kneel upright with a support for your arms and lean slightly forward so gravity does its job. It was all very quick both times, just used a bit of gas, not that uncomfortable and i adopted the same strategies during both births and was out of hospital the next day. PM if you would like more information and its not best to discuss gory bits on a forum! My cousin used calm birth in australia and she found it an excellent programme and she has also had 2 natural births that were fairly easy. In summary, the combination of yoga, hypnobirthing to give confidence and ingrain a relaxed attitude, different breathing techniques for different stages and using a physio ball to widen everything pre labor really helped. Of course you cannot control everything and everyone has different experiences. Good luck.

I used it and it kind of worked. What I found is that everyone wants a bloody chat whilst you're in labour which is not helpful for hypnobirthing so you need your husband to tell the MW to shut it and you'll let them know how you are doing if you want to.

Mine even wanted to know if DH had any CD's in the car like we were having a bloody dance off or something.

Anyway the best best advice i can give you as somebody who has done it 4 times is delay the gas and air as long as possible and take long calm deep breaths with it, removing it from your mouth and breathing in oxygen in between contractions.

As you start to feel one coming on, draw the gas and air in so by the time it hits the peak you are feeling the benefit and then as it eases off breath in normal air.

Water is brilliant too, very relaxing.

What not to do is lie flat on your back crying, it's the most un natural unhelpful position in the world, i did this with number 1, tore and was in agony for weeks, I wish i'd been in the water or at least standing up to let gravity give me a hand, walking around speeds things up too.

It took me until number 4 to figure it all out, I think I'd be brilliant next time but DH won't hear of it.

I used hypnosis for my 2nd child after a lengthy induced labour with loads of medical intervention with my first child who was 15 days over once he was born.

Hypnosis is more about coaching yourself into relaxation it really helps to keep you relaxed and focused on breathing fully in and out, not holding your breath which will make you tense up and in turn make things more painfull, it will also help you accept things should they not go to plan and some medical intervention should be required. My 2nd was born in under 4 hours at home, into water, there were no complications and although I could feel every contraction I had no problem breathing and relaxing through them. i would recommend it and will do it again should I get the chance.

I don't know if just the CD's would be enough, you definitely need the book too and get your partner to read the book, you need total buy in and support from your birth partners because seriously the midwives do not believe you are in labour or OK unless you are howling from the roof tops. I walked in with the contractions about three mins apart and they didn't want to let me through the security entrance as I was able to talk quite normally to them, he was born 2 hours later so it's a good job I didn't "pop home for a bit and see how I got on"

Oh wow, blown away by all the comments, thank you! Wish I could respond to you all individually but might be here all night.

I'm in Greensborough in Melbourne. Reading the Mongnan book and got the Rainbow Relaxation (can't get more than 10 mins in without falling asleep) and Birth Affirmations (listen to in car on way to work) from her website as per my sister-in-law's recommendation (she did the course in the UK and had a 'textbook' hypnobirth). I've got 3 months to go and have decided against going on a course, mostly due to cost. I think it would be helpful to go on mostly in order to get my partner to buy into it, but also for me to buy into it some more too. But all your comments have definitely helped and encouraged me to embrace it more. My partner and I are both engineers and, my husband in particular, always looks to science and logic for understanding. He is very supportive but won't turn over and say I totally believe in her method. I guess I need to get my brother (who totally bought into hypnobirthing) to chat to him about it so he does buy into it some more. Any other suggestions for getting best hubby participation?

I'll defo go onto the dedicated forums now - good to get some recommended as opposed to trawling through loads. It's so helpful to hear everyone's experiences and how it appears to work to varying degrees. It appears that circumstances may play a lot in how effective it is. I have a midwife review tomorrow so actually going to write my birth plan tonight and have a load of questions regarding this for them tomorrow. Also, I realise how important it is to do my homework every day and these responses have egged me on some more.

Thanks again everyone and more shared experiences and input welcome! :)

My wife dragged me (reluctantly) to a series of classes before we had our little boy but I can safely say I came out a convert.

That's great you were so supportive. Have you any tips, as I doubt we'll do a course, how I can get my partner to buy in? I'm struggling to get through the book and I know he won't read it. What elements do you think should be emphasised to him the most?

Do you play the rainbow relaxation on your ipod or into the room at bedtime ?

I'd let him listen to it, the fact that he'll nod off before you get past the strawberry mist should help him to get it.

Mines a pharmacist who'd spent his whole life in drugs and couldn't understand why you wouldn't just have an epidural but i think even he agreed that i was much calmer and in control with number three and four and recovered well.

Guest littlesarah

I'm no midwife, but to me it is completely logical that a woman's state of mind can affect the physiology of her labour. We all know that tension applied to a muscle makes it taut, and less able to stretch, so to me taking an approach that encourages physical relaxation and mental focus on going with what is happening makes a good deal of sense. I also think that using gravity to assist the process seems to makes sense, too (why not use any mechanical advantage one can obtain?)

That's great you were so supportive....... how I can get my partner to buy in? I'm struggling to get through the book and I know he won't read it

I didn't really have a choice! lol I'm a (civil) engineer too and I suppose at first I was very sceptical, but i think what made me think it was all worth giving it a go was when by the end of the first session and we were all lying there in the dark with the cd on I got a nudge in the ribs from the wife telling me to wake up! enough said really, i realise not many women are going to fall asleep in labour but the whole process is very calming and, as in any situation in life the calmer you keep generally the better the outcome. Ours would have been a breeze but lil man just refused to turn round and no amount of positive thinking or affirmations was going to get him to change his mind!! If the guy embraces it, then does actually give him a lot to concentrate on during the birth and they get lots of brownie points for things like light touch massage etc etc :)

We also attended NCT classes and catching up with people after the event from both hypnobirthing and the NCT classes, the parents who had done hypnobirthing seemed a lot better prepared and chilled than those who hadn't. Those who hadn't seemed to have an ''i had a 30hr labour, well I had a 40hr labour, well I had a 60hr labour! mentality like it was a badge of honour to have endured the most horrific longwinded child birth ever and had to have emergency c-sections etc whereas the hypnobirthing group just semed so much more relaxed. Whether it is just the sort of activity that attracts a certain type of person to try it i don't know but they way we looked at it was that its another 'weapon in your armoury' to use before resorting to more drastic methods. And even if it had been totally useless its a couple of hundred quid lost but at least we got a cd that puts me to sleep in about 5mins if i'm suffering from insomnia!

Do you play the rainbow relaxation on your ipod or into the room at bedtime ?

I'd let him listen to it, the fact that he'll nod off before you get past the strawberry mist should help him to get it.

Mines a pharmacist who'd spent his whole life in drugs and couldn't understand why you wouldn't just have an epidural but i think even he agreed that i was much calmer and in control with number three and four and recovered well.

One other interesting thing is that I think my wife must have played the rainbow relaxation cd a thousand times before the birth, and once we had lil man, we found it fantastic at soothing him if he was a bit narky. He is 2 now and we still occaisionally put it on as he goes to sleep it he has had a bit of a hyper day and he winds down and nods off in minutes! Whether he remembered any of it from in the womb we'll never know but the peace and quiet is wonderful :-)

Archived