Importing a Caravan from UK to Australia

GeorginaWay

Hi All We are looking to import a brand new caravan (not bought yet), from the UK to here in OZ. A few questions if I could 1. Does anyone know of any companies that do this and approx. costs? 2. As A UK non-resident her in OZ, do I qualify to buy this VAT free or zero rated from UK and pay the GST down here? 3. Are there any pitfalls that I have not thought of? So far we know it needs some gas and electric re-wiring, we have to pay GST and any customs clearance etc. 4. Are insurance companies funny about foreign imports when providing quotes? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this seems away to save a lot of money on a new caravan compared to the cost of a new van down here.

HI We are importing our caravan, it needs to go roll on roll of due to the size. So depending on the size you could containerise it. There are plenty of shipping companies on google who will provide you with a quote. You will pay VAT in the UK as well as GST in Aus. And most importantly you will need to get a permit prior to shipping to import it. @Macduff Mike Yes you are able to sell it if you don't use it, but if youre concerned that you may not use it then maybe you should consider whether its worth the additional costs of shipping and import beforehand . There are UK caravan dealers over here, eg swift and bailey. Our twin axle will cost approx. £4500 just to ship.

Guest guest68546
HI We are importing our caravan, it needs to go roll on roll of due to the size. So depending on the size you could containerise it. There are plenty of shipping companies on google who will provide you with a quote. You will pay VAT in the UK as well as GST in Aus. And most importantly you will need to get a permit prior to shipping to import it. @Macduff Mike Yes you are able to sell it if you don't use it, but if youre concerned that you may not use it then maybe you should consider whether its worth the additional costs of shipping and import beforehand . There are UK caravan dealers over here, eg swift and bailey. Our twin axle will cost approx. £4500 just to ship.

Agreed if the caravan is purchased by the owner who then leaves it a few days/weeks/months before shipping it privately. However I would query whether VAT is still payable on new items sent directly by the supplier. While I am not au fait with larger luxury type items, I know smaller items from sent by UK companies to Oz are VAT exempt; or if VAT is paid, can be reclaimed (providing certain rules and paperwork are followed).

Not sure about importing , our member Ironchef may be able to help with your questions but do make sure your caravan has air con or it would be like putting a chicken in an oven,lol,, also alot of caravans here are high - as in , lots of road clearance, maybe due to so many spots being just off the tarmac beaten track.

Cal x

Importing a caravan??? Are you serious?????

Why do you think this is such a crazy idea Stu? We have no plans to go off road, and need more than a 2 berth (few Oz vans do this), then why pay in excess of $50K, when they are only £15K in the UK, and then whatever the cost of shipping, registering etc

Another important point re: air con. if its installed in the uk then it has to be degassed for shipping, also that may make it too high to go in a container if that's the plan.

Thanks Rachall, we have factored this in, and will get the aircon fitted here in Oz, as found a good deal on a Dometic3000.

• 10 months later...
Guest sarahmichelle

I went to look at a UK caravan recently, a bloke was selling about 10 out of his backyard - wondering if anyone knows whether there would be any warranty on these or if I can get parts locally? He was a bit vague so wanted to do my research first?

• 7 months later...
Hi there, I have created a website to help anyone bringing over a caravan, its a step by step guide

http://importavan.weebly.com

I have to say that this is one of the best, step by step instructions for importing a caravan or it would also cover a mobile home as well. Well done. As a VASS engineer myself, I think you covered everything very well but the one thing I have seen with the gas certificates is that the gas fitters want to see the gas hob or the gas hot water heater to have an Australian gas mark on them and so have asked people to remove the English ones and have fitted identical ones that have Australian Standards marks on them. It seems painful but you might need to factor this into the pricing of bringing one over.

We are returning to Australia this October,we have a 1998 4 berth Tourer,I have just got a roll on roll off price to take it to Aus for £1500 the company will pick it up take it to Liverpool docks,where it will be loaded,after all cleaning is done.That cost is £350.The same caravan more or less in Australia cost $22,000.When i bought the van last April it cost me £950. with all the gear and a full Awning.That how serious it is Pal.There's no import duty on caravans. There's only one problem.I can't take it.Because i haven't owned it for over 12months.

We are returning to Australia this October,we have a 1998 4 berth Tourer,I have just got a roll on roll off price to take it to Aus for £1500 the company will pick it up take it to Liverpool docks,where it will be loaded,after all cleaning is done.That cost is £350.The same caravan more or less in Australia cost $22,000.When i bought the van last April it cost me £950. with all the gear and a full Awning.That how serious it is Pal.There's no import duty on caravans. There's only one problem.I can't take it.Because i haven't owned it for over 12months.

Hi Zac,

I thought that with a caravan you can apply using the "Small Road Trailer" option as long as the Aggregate Trailer Mass does not exceed 4.5 Tonne and you let the Department of transport know which parts of VSB1 you need to change - electrical sockets, gas coupling, towing chains and some odd things. As far as I can see you don't need to have owned the caravan for more than 12 months as you are not importing a car. Its a bit different with a motorhome but you mention yours is a caravan.

I'm happy to be corrected as I have not brought a caravan to Australia but they don't seem to be mentioned as requiring a Personal Import.