What Backpack?

someguyinoz

Hi all,

What pack did you all take? I'm going to pack light and will hopefully get everything in a decent size pack, with a small pack as hand luggage with my netbook and stuff in it. Go a camping shop and have a look? Any useful features, recommended makes, offers?

Mine went all over with me for years. It wasn't anything fancy, just hardwearing, biggish and comfy to cart round for extended periods.

TBH try them on and see what feels comfortable. I always liked the ones with 2 sections (one large and one not so big on the bottom) and a few side pockets and so on. Its amazing how much you can get in one. And how heavy they can be once packed :swoon:

If you are planning on sleeping in YH check the bedding situation and see if you need to pack a sheet etc to use or if they are provided. Bed bugs are something to bear in mind also.

Yeah I don't want like some state of the art Vango thing with allsorts of features because I think it would just cry out steal me! Plus they're like 3 figures!

Nice heads up on the bedsheet, hadn't thought about that. I've got a really ultra light sleeping bag I might take as it's like the size of 2 pairs of socks when in its bag!

Go to a "proper" bush walking shop and don't stint but choose one that feels good (you may be wearing it for long periods) - good waist belt, adjustable back, etc. keep it neat though, you don't want bits hanging off all over the place. My current one has a zip around cover for straps so that you don't have straps getting caught in airport machinery - tiny bit of extra weight but I think it's good and would get it again. I wouldn't get a hybrid pack/trolley though, I'm a purist and dislike carrying weight I don't have to. Mine has a detachable day pack which can be useful but I don't much like it as a long term day bag as it doesn't have any separate pockets - it'd be perfect if it did! You'll probably find 45 - 50 litres to be big enough for light packing but if you are a bloke you might go bigger as you'll be able to carry more. My 45 litres usually weighs in at around 16-18kg without the strap on pack (20-22 kg with it). Once you start carrying things like sleeping bags, waterproofs, etc it does tend to gobble space so you might want to go bigger. I've got a Kathmandu but I don't know that I would specifically recommend them - its not bad though but I had to have it repaired after its first trip - it's fine now though. My son swears by packing cells and having seen him having to haul out shoes at Sydney quarantine I can see the appeal. I think he may have got his from the US though. Have fun choosing!

I've always used Macpac - not sure if you can get them in the UK. A bit pricier but they're tough and last forever. I have a Cascade and it has lasted many treks and train/bus trips in Asia. Mont are also very good - and they do more lightweight packs.

Strongly recommend Macpac. I still have mine from 2001 and use it occassionally.

It was worth the intial outlay of two hundred pounds back then. The amount of people I met who had bought cheap ones, then wondered why they had to replace them two months into their trip was astounding. It is also worth getting one with a zip-off day pack as already suggested.

Enjoy.

What you mean don't stint, skimp? Ie not get a cheapo one? Cells? Like different compartments? I like the sound of that! Also the strap cover. Nice work people!

Yes sorry, don't get a cheap one! Cells are like little zipper bags that keep a brick like shape - go into a proper bush walking store and you will find them. I think the ones my son has are Kifaru (but he's a kit snob - check out Kifaru but then see what you can get locally)http://edcforums.com/threads/kifaru-ultralight-possibles-pouch-pics-words-heavy-on-pics.99659/. I am planning on getting some in the future but I think they are only available on line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuWtgBVmPvk

I think we have a winner! Got loads of Vango camping stuff. My initial idea of not having a posh one so it's not as nickable has gone out of the window but that's only 75-80 quid. Saves me taking me little pack too. Something tells me this guy has reviewed one too many backpacks and could snap at any moment ha!

Archived