Too old and long in the tooth for backpacking?

diabloinperth

Awesome, remind me again bob what backpackers you stay in and how long for, also how heavy is that backpack you're lugging around busstations and airports.

Mate your a holidayer not a backpacker, there is a difference.

Gray nomad is the term. Many of the gray nomads do that sort of thing for a few years at a time when we retire and pay our own way all the time, we don't stick a thumb in the air waiting for some benevolent people to give us a lift.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Again. Backpacking as in this forum subsection is a long term lifestyle choice, of up to two years in a country 10,000 miles away. It' ain't a couple weeks "camping" on your annual leave.

And again. The former is both suited and mainly populated by people in their early twenties. Not saying middle aged people don't do it but let's be honest you couldn't get more mid-life crisis if you bought a harley davidson, had an affair with your secretary and joined a sky diving club.

When people here 30+ have spent months and months living in backpackers hostels, scrounging and scraping for work and decent accom, then get back to me. People posting from the comfort of their central heated UK living rooms, gobbing off, need not apply.

Ooh you poor thing!! Having to rough it in hostels!! You make it sound like a hardship rather than fun times. People have been through a million things worse than roughint it travelling. So don't make out that you think you know it all and that we know nothing. Very immature aren't you.

You know absolutely jack about me girl so wind your neck in.

Also, where are you again? Yea that's right, in thr UK dreaming. Get back to me when your over here living it.

Bobj, I remember you telling me some time ago that you went to the NT as a fishing break when the south gets cold.

Edited by digitalis

Also, where are you again? Yea that's right, in thr UK dreaming. Get back to me when your over here living it.

Bobj, I remember you telling me some time ago that you went to the NT as a fishing break when the south gets cold.

LOL! I've already lived it! And planning to move there! I expect i've done a LOT more travelling around aus than you have.

Awesome, remind me again bob what backpackers you stay in and how long for, also how heavy is that backpack you're lugging around busstations and airports.

Mate your a holidayer not a backpacker, there is a difference.

Reminds me of my early days in this magnificent land.

There were several people who did the "backpack thing", they were called swaggies and they humped their blueies all over the country. In a way it is sad those days are long gone. Have seen hundreds of 'em, some with a dog as company, some had bicycles, a couple had a camel, or two, some had a small pony to pull a rubber tyred trailer. Even saw a few women in somewhat advanced years going around, but all of 'em were doing a week's work here, or there in return for a bed and a few meals.

Another term for them was 'sundowners'.

All part of the richness of this land.

But, to get back to your comment, "Mate your a holidayer not a backpacker, there is a difference." I was doing backpacking for quite a few years, most likely from the tone of your writings, while you were still a thought in your Dad's groin.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

@ digitalis:

"And again. The former is both suited and mainly populated by people in their early twenties. Not saying middle aged people don't do it but let's be honest you couldn't get more mid-life crisis if you bought a harley davidson, had an affair with your secretary and joined a sky diving club."

Two words for you...and the 2nd one is 'off!'

I spent "months and months" backbacking down the west coast from Broome to Margaret River "scrounging and scraping for work"

Almost all the hostels I stayed in offered the same deal: do a days work in return for 5 nights accomodation foc. Painting and decorating, litter picking, manning the desk, gardening, housekeeping, even servicing the hostel van and collecting fellow travellers from the station. The list goes on. Not bad for someone too old for the luxury or benefit of a whv.

So my kids have grown up, the economy is through the floor and I had some spare time on my hands; why shouldnt I go travelling for a while? Or anybody else for that matter, whatever their age.

How about offering some support digi? That's what people are here for.

Yup. Do it every year and camping out, not staying in hostels.

AND LOVING IT:laugh:

You should try it sometime.

Cheers, Bobj.