Do you think theres a lot more returning to the UK ?????

Sapphire

I don't 'know' but I suspect the current exchange rates has a lot to do with it - if you own a house worth say $500K, you'll go back to the UK with $300K which would set you up rather nicely. Four years ago when we arrived here it would have been $100k less. Plus the current recession in the UK makes it a rather appealing place to live for people that don't need work - houses are cheaper, goods are cheaper. if you have ever had a desire to move back now is a great time to do it - and to be honest it is a factor for us, we have 'lost' a lot of money on the move but at least the good exchange rate means we don't lose quite so much plus we could buy an identical house to the one we sold, on the same estate for $8k less than we sold it for.

I don't think that Australia has suddenly become less appealing, it's just UK is more appealing for those that don't need work right now. Plus i think it is harder for people moving out and their pounds are worth less and because there has not been a recession here prices have continued to rise (I think, not sure of the inflation rate UK v Aus).

Or maybe this group has just encourage people to come out of the closet (& I don't just mean Perthbum :biggrin:)

Jules

The value of the dollar against the pound has been a deterrent for many over the years but this last two or three years has seen a major shift and people are finding that it is financially viable for once so they are taking the leap. I think a lot of people were just hanging in even though they may have wanted to move on years ago. We certainly couldn't have done what we are now doing, 4 or 5 years ago.

i will also admit to feeling somewhat liberated when I realised I was not Robinson Crusoe in my antipathy towards Australia and knowing that gave me confidence in my real life to speak out - only to find that I had many like minded acquaintances who had, too, been fearful of "coming out"!

This sub forum is a bit like an AA meeting must be

"hello, my name is Flathead and keep having thoughts about returning to the UK...........":laugh:

On a more serious note....much of our income is in Sterling so we have lost about 40% since we arrived here. If I had not continued to work we would have been a bit stretched and I do not feel that this is a country in which you would want to be struggling financially. That, coupled with the,now, favourable exchange rate makes it very favourable for us to return.....and very sensible financially if for no other reason

Its a great time for heading back,with the currency rate being in returnees favour, and theres some real bargain properties around, back in the UK.

We have seen a few people ,we knew, who had come to Aus and NZ , all return.

Some just could not find work here, others missed family too much, and there are a couple of older ones, who have been here a long while and returned, in a great financial situation, due to the sale of thier property here and the currency exchange.

Archived