Advice needed, flying with a 15 month old.

khm1981

Hi, any advice, hints or tips to pass on. We are flying on the 4th March from Manchester to Brisbane with our 15 month old baby. I will also be 27 weeks pregnant. Have any of you done this and what did you find invaluable on the flight to keep sane.

Thanks, Kath

Defo take PJ's and sleepsuit to signal when its sleep time (if flying the night flight). Change LO into those when its bedtime and try to follow your bedtime routine as far as possible, even if its just PJ's, teeth, story and into sleeping bag for sleep.

No tips yet...last time we flew out (to activate visas), we went with a 5yo, 3yo and 8mo. We flew with Emirates and the children saw it as a huge adventure. I can't remember any issues. Will try to update before you fly as we leave on 27th Jan. this time we'll be flying with a 7yo, 5yo, 2yo and I'll be 35 weeks pregnant (legs crossed iykwim ? )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, any advice, hints or tips to pass on. We are flying on the 4th March from Manchester to Brisbane with our 15 month old baby. I will also be 27 weeks pregnant. Have any of you done this and what did you find invaluable on the flight to keep sane.

Thanks, Kath

Pass as many child duties as you can onto your OH. As spacious as the seats are, they aren't a patch on a sofa when a tired little one wants a cuddle.

Our little ones behaved exceptionally well. 2yo slept almost all of the 2nd flight...just a shame that she sprawled across my chair too. The rest of the time, she stared at the tv screen, insisting Thomas the Tank Engine was on but refused the earphones. She refused to eat anything but drank lots of water.

Look after yourself, I was very uncomfortable. In flight staff kept passing drinks to me, which was lovely...my legs became like tree trunks, even with the fetching flight socks!

Try to get bulk head seats I just flew with 3 children 8,4 and 1, and the more room really helped although my way back was dreadful as we didn't have bulkhead seats,when we fly out I'm paying the extra for the bulk head ones!

We couldn't get these as they were reserved for travellers for under 2s and disabled but when we've had them before, we've found the space great until it came to meal times, then it was a juggle. Definitely the best seats though.

Wonder if the OP will fit a tray past her bump ??

Best tip I could give you would be to get one ticket business class, but not sure how well that would go down with your OH...

My OH just agreed with this. If we'd done this, he'd have had all 3 to himself...wish you'd posted a few weeks ago! ;-)

which route are you flying - if you are going through chiangi make sure you visit either the transit hotel or the tranisit lounge where you can book a lounger or a roomm- we did for 10 hours on way back to uk and 6 hours on way back to oz - with 8 month old - absolute godsend !

Thanks for all the advice. We are flying with Singapore Air from Manchester. I am hoping the flight won't be full and we can get an extra seat between us. I am taking his pj's and have got lot's of snacks, instant porridge pots and some new things to play with. We have a quick change over in Singapore so I am hoping we will know what to do by then, for the 2nd leg. It will be all over in 4 weeks time, wish us luck!

Kath.

Wrap up new toys for your little one - we did this recently and it adds to the excitement of the new things (plus unwrapping takes some time too!)

I've flown when heavily pregnant and have always found the air crew to be brilliant - they will take your little one off for a wander from time to time and come over with extra snacks, bits and bobs to play with etc.

We flew to Fiji from Melbourne about 4 months ago when our daughter was 15 months and the most exciting thing for her on the return leg was the plastic cutlery!

Good luck!

Archived