How much would it cost to ship motorcycle?

DenKav

Just wondering if anybody has any experience in shipping a motorcycle from the uk to Australia? Just want a rough price guide for now to see if it would be worth it.

Thanks

Den

Hi Den, didn`t bring mine as they wanted 4 grand import duty, on top of the grand to ship it!

I don't think it's worth it to ship, depends on the bike (emotional value?). You can get some quotes from shipping agents. Generally it is more reasonable to send the bike by airfreight. Would be cheaper if it is as small as possible (price goes by volume weight or actual weight, whichever is higher).

Shipping by boat seems to be cheaper in the first place, but you get hit hard with additional costs when clearing it at the port.

There will also be a strict quarantine check (they even check the air filter...) and additional costs.

Check out horizonsunlimited.com there should be some info on it.

Better buy a new/used one in Oz.

Cheers,

Frank

I don't think it's worth it to ship, depends on the bike (emotional value?). You can get some quotes from shipping agents. Generally it is more reasonable to send the bike by airfreight. Would be cheaper if it is as small as possible (price goes by volume weight or actual weight, whichever is higher).

Shipping by boat seems to be cheaper in the first place, but you get hit hard with additional costs when clearing it at the port.

There will also be a strict quarantine check (they even check the air filter...) and additional costs.

Check out horizonsunlimited.com there should be some info on it.

Better buy a new/used one in Oz.

Cheers,

Frank

Why would port charges be more than airport charges? Surely they are checking the same things? Hadn't considered sending our bike by airfreight but if it was going the be cheaper then its worthwhile. How would I go about finding out prices for airfreight? Wouldn't know where to start!!!

Why would port charges be more than airport charges? Surely they are checking the same things? Hadn't considered sending our bike by airfreight but if it was going the be cheaper then its worthwhile. How would I go about finding out prices for airfreight? Wouldn't know where to start!!!

I travelled around the world by motorcycle for two years and had to ship the bike from time to time. Have a read through here: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get-ready/shipping-the-bike

The best would be to contact the freight departments of the airlines directly, however most likely they refer you to agents. Just google for shipping agents, or better have a search on "horizonsunlimited". There are many people airfreighting their bikes from the UK.

However I don't think it's worth it for a permanent import. Calculate all costs + work against buying another bike in Oz.

Thanks for the replies. I am only going on a WHV anyway so probably wouldn't be worth it for such a short time. I may look into it once over there if I am coming home for a short period & am settled down somewhere in oz. I had a look at bike prices in oz on gumtree & they are a lot higher than the uk so maybe I will just have to have a break from bikes for a year or so :(

Thanks for the replies. I am only going on a WHV anyway so probably wouldn't be worth it for such a short time. I may look into it once over there if I am coming home for a short period & am settled down somewhere in oz. I had a look at bike prices in oz on gumtree & they are a lot higher than the uk so maybe I will just have to have a break from bikes for a year or so :(

I agree, the bike prices here in Oz are ridiculous! I bought a used Tenere for around $3,000 when I was on my first WHV in Oz. I think it's the best way to travel, I did 45,000km on it around Oz and then 35,000km overland to Europe.

I was very lucky with the bike and it had never let me down.

It is also important to be aware of the different registration and compulsory insurance fees in the different states.

The best would be Western Australia.

• 3 years later...

It's not going to be cheap as others pointed out. The shipping costs plus the taxes mean you better really want that bike to swallow the cost. if you want a hard number that's accurate, you can try these guys https://www.a1autotransport.com/international-motorcycle-shipping.php I've used them before (not from the UK though) and they knew what they were doing. Also tell you the total price up front.

Edit: 2013 ... nevermind.

Edited by Finchler
Date

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...