Sea temperatures?

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

What's the sea like around the Hobart area during the summer is it warm and welcoming like the med, Ok once your in but a bit of a shock at first or a case of putting on a wetsuit like the UK?

I definitely wouldn't call it warm and welcoming. Let's say...invigorating! We used to love it as kids but most of us seem to become wimpier as we age. However there are variations in the area. For example, Cremorne or Dodges Ferry on Frederick Henry Bay near Hobart can be considerably warmer than more exposed coastline beaches.

Wetsuits are generally used only by surfers in the cooler months (the madder ones surf year round).

What's the sea like around the Hobart area during the summer is it warm and welcoming like the med, Ok once your in but a bit of a shock at first or a case of putting on a wetsuit like the UK?

I have not been either, but it is pretty bracing off the Sydney beaches, so I don't think I would be dipping my toe in Hobart.

Guest Guest 47403
I definitely wouldn't call it warm and welcoming. Let's say...invigorating! We used to love it as kids but most of us seem to become wimpier as we age. However there are variations in the area. For example, Cremorne or Dodges Ferry on Frederick Henry Bay near Hobart can be considerably warmer than more exposed coastline beaches.

Wetsuits are generally used only by surfers in the cooler months (the madder ones surf year round).

Invigorating works for me looks like it's about 2-3 degrees warmer than the sea in the UK during summer.

Your right about getting wimpier as we get older though!

Invigorating works for me looks like it's about 2-3 degrees warmer than the sea in the UK during summer.

Your right about getting wimpier as we get older though!

I do swim a lot - but in the Hobart Aquatic Centre. A choice of 27 or 29 degrees, depending on the pool you choose.:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

It's definitely not like the Med, but not as bad as I'd feared. It looks like the kind of place where freezing deep water currents come right up to the shore but, in fact, they don't and its not too bad. This happened to me on a 30 degree day in Cape Town once - coldest swim of my life!

Think English Channel on a good day rather than the Med.