Insurance help!

louisesteph23

My boyfriend and I are coming over to Sydney at the end of Feb for 9 months on a WHV but we arnt particularly travelling round, we are going to be working and staying with my parents who have emigrated there. I do not have a clue what typ of insurance to look for as we aren't backpacking exactly! Can anyone help please?

I'm staying at my mum's and using it as a base, travelling out for a while, them coming back here. Off to do my farm work hopefully in February, then back here after that. The trouble with general travel insurance is that it only covers you for something like a 90-day trip. Anything long, it's null and void. Some even require a return ticket date within the stipulated time. So, backpacker insurance is better because you get up to a year, because that's what it's designed for. There are plenty of places that do it, you just need to do a bit of searching and find one that covers the things you might be getting up to.

I went with Outbacker Insurance because we will be going to America in June for my birthday, and I was able to get a pack that covered me while in Australia for the year, but also if I went somewhere else for a holiday/visit. If you're just staying in Australia, them I'm sure there are plenty of others to choose from. You can apply for Medicare when you get here, but that is only for "treatment that is medically essential. This means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home," so might not cover everything. Also, Medicare will not cover the cost of the ambulance trip - that will either come from your travel insurance, or if not covered in that, then your own pocket!!!

I'm staying at my mum's and using it as a base, travelling out for a while, them coming back here. Off to do my farm work hopefully in February, then back here after that. The trouble with general travel insurance is that it only covers you for something like a 90-day trip. Anything long, it's null and void. Some even require a return ticket date within the stipulated time. So, backpacker insurance is better because you get up to a year, because that's what it's designed for. There are plenty of places that do it, you just need to do a bit of searching and find one that covers the things you might be getting up to.

I went with Outbacker Insurance because we will be going to America in June for my birthday, and I was able to get a pack that covered me while in Australia for the year, but also if I went somewhere else for a holiday/visit. If you're just staying in Australia, them I'm sure there are plenty of others to choose from. You can apply for Medicare when you get here, but that is only for "treatment that is medically essential. This means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home," so might not cover everything. Also, Medicare will not cover the cost of the ambulance trip - that will either come from your travel insurance, or if not covered in that, then your own pocket!!!

ahh right think I may just have a look for backpacker insurance then as that seems the best option. Thanks for your help!! Hope your having a great time!

Medicare does cover ambulances in some states. Not here in sa. Grrrr.

The reciprocal Medicare card that you get actually covers you for quite a lot. Any drs appointments for illness, getting the pill, smear tests etc, even one eye test per two years!

I used sta backpackers insurance, but that was many years ago.