Sydney, 1st March 2013

NickJames88

Hey

I've finally booked my flight from Manchester to Sydney on 1st March 2013. Ive booked into the Maze Backpackers Hostel in Sydney and was just wondering what people opinions of the area and Hostel are?

Im taking about £2000 with me and have only planned the first week then Im not sure what I am doing from there. Im thinking I may want to make my way up to Cairns and my friend has told me about a bus that you can hop on and off that goes up the coast.

Anyone else flying in around that time or going to be in the area?

Nick

No, but have a good trip. Hopefully be out there a little later in the year. How how you planning on being out there?

I'm not too sure, i'm hoping to stay there until December-ish. I've got a few friends that are already out there and are going to sort me out with a job but i'm wanting to travel around abit first.

Thanks for the info about Cairns, all ive heard about it is its a good place to party.

Hey Nick, Maze is in a brilliant spot! I use to stay in an apartment just next to it. Its located 5min walk to major train station and a block up from george st. Your a little way from the opera house but its walkable or there is a free city bus!

There are 2 buses that go up to cairns you have Greyhound and premier.. Premier is cheaper but only have 1 bus a day where as greyhound have several so keep this in mind!

Cairns is a good spot (thats where im based) Its small here but very chilled out!

Mate,

Maze is in a very good spot but it's a bit of a shithole - as well as genuinely being a maze. I've stayed at World Square and the YHA by Central Station as well and they're both far cleaner and friendlier. There's also the hostel above Side Bar near Central Station. Don't know what the hostel's like - but it looks very modern - but the bar is great and full of young European chicks - the Brits / Irish / Yanks seem to go to Scruffy Murphys and Scubar and Scary Canary are kind of a mix. The Abercrombie is a really cool pub down Broadway away from the city towards Parramatta Road and is far more Australian - though has a very un-Australian door and service policy in that fun is apparently not only allowed but encouraged.

Alright Nick,

Sounds like we are doing similar things mate, Im heading from London to Cairns 1st April and then making my way to Sydney via the Greyhound over the course of a month. Im also taking £2000 with me. I'l probably be in Cairns for the first week of April chilling, partying and getting some diving done so if your around then you should definitely give me a shout.

Hey

I've finally booked my flight from Manchester to Sydney on 1st March 2013. Ive booked into the Maze Backpackers Hostel in Sydney and was just wondering what people opinions of the area and Hostel are?

Im taking about £2000 with me and have only planned the first week then Im not sure what I am doing from there. Im thinking I may want to make my way up to Cairns and my friend has told me about a bus that you can hop on and off that goes up the coast.

Anyone else flying in around that time or going to be in the area?

Nick

My boyfriend and I are flying from Manchester on 25th Feb to Sydney! Staying with family for 9 months.

Oh cool, you are probs the first person I have spoken to who is getting into Sydney around the same time as me haha. I honestly can't wait now. Think i'm more excited because i am doing it on my own and will need to meet others. I'm sure everything will be ok and it will be a great experience :biggrin:

I had to Google 'Maze' and the location is great but the reviews are certainly mixed. Why did you ignore the reviews and book into this one?

The only hostel I have direct experience of is the YHA on Pitt Street & Rawson Place and that was very good. 'Bounce' on Chalmers Street opposite Central has had good reviews too (I think.)

Well, after comparing reviews for Maze and Bounce, there's no way I would stay at Maze.

I booked Maze as my friend stayed their towards the end of last year and said it was fine and also it was cheap. End of the day, there are always more bad reviews than good. Im not bothered where I stay so long as there is a roof over my head to protect me from the elements. I'm only their for 5 nights.

Yeah I can't wait as well! Everyone I know think I'm mad for going alone but loads of people do it! Can't wait to meet a load of nee people and wake up to some sunshine!

You gonna be working over there or just travelling?

I will be working eventually, I've not really got a plan in place at the moment. I'm getting quite nervous now but also mega excited haha. only 36 days to go!

I booked Maze as my friend stayed their towards the end of last year and said it was fine and also it was cheap. End of the day, there are always more bad reviews than good. Im not bothered where I stay so long as there is a roof over my head to protect me from the elements. I'm only their for 5 nights.

You deliberately picked a place with more bad reviews than good, because you are going to save a few dollars on a stay of five nights? Rather you than me.

What's your problem? Why the hostility? Where I stay is my choice, It is ME who will be staying there. There is no need for the condecention in your posts.

Also, from your previous post about Maze, I did go back and look into it further and I cancelled my booking at Maze last week and booked Bounce, so, thank you for your earlier advice.

What's your problem? Why the hostility? Where I stay is my choice, It is ME who will be staying there. There is no need for the condecention in your posts.

Also, from your previous post about Maze, I did go back and look into it further and I cancelled my booking at Maze last week and booked Bounce, so, thank you for your earlier advice.

There you are then, 'all's well that ends well.' And it sounds like you ARE bothered where you stay after all! Why stay in a dump just to save a few dollars?

Sorry for being condescending.

I know what your saying and like I say, after your initial post I went back and checked everything out and agree'd with you. Again, thanks for the advice.

Sorry for being a grouchy git :)

Hey! You may be a grouchy git, but I am the OLD grouchy git! And I've had 'the shits' (as the Aussies say) for four days, seething at alleged injustices perpetuated by the Sydney Morning Herald against 'us' ie. Poms on 'Invasion' aka 'Australia Day!'

I've be so angry that I've been biting the heads of all my friends!

Bounce sounds like a good choice, although the YHA hostels are pretty good too. Don't know if I'm repeating myself but when I stayed at the YHA one on Pitt St and Rawson Place (on the other side of Central from Bounce) one of the guys in my room told me it was the best one he'd ever stayed in. I met my Irish friend Seamus there too, one of the other guys who was in my room. That was his first night in Australia too. I always hold him up as example of what you can achieve if you are 'positive' about life here. He has a job, social life, huge circle of friends, both Poms and Aussies.

Bounce is just down the road from me and I often pass it and sometimes go into the reception to pick up one of the free newspapers aimed at travellers. There's a bar right next door 'Tipple' I think, which I thought was part of Bounce? Bounce is in a superb location - on a sort of 'triangle' of roads, fronting onto Chalmers, with Elizabeth (my road) behind & Devonshire (aka Dave's pubs' street) which runs up from the southern entrance to Central, across Elizabeth St, and on up to Crown St. Central station is 50 metres away as is the bus stop, with other stops just around the corner on Elizabeth St and Eddy Ave.

Devonshire St has Madison, Royal Exhibition, Gaelic, Strawberry Hills, Lil Darling, Duck and Olive, Shakespeare & Trinity bars. I read in the SMH yesterday that Surry Hills has more bars, restaurants and cafes per square kilometre than any other 'burb.

Thanks alot for that info, sounds like its quite a good place to be. I was abit worried that it was slightly out of the way, but, as long as there are bars, i'm sure it will be fine :)

Just can't wait to get out there now.

It is top location. You are one or two stops on the train from the city and the same to Kings Cross, Surry Hills on your doorstep and George St just a few hundred yards away.

Archived