Welfare Worker Assessment pathway B/Drug Alcohol Worker

Waitingawhile

:shocked:Hi all this is my first post - I am hoping to get permanent residency via a regional sponsered visa in Western Australia, my nominated occupation will most likley be as a Welfare worker - has anyone already undertaken the assessment under pathway B and if so do you have some tips? I have already contacted the relevant assessing authority for initial advice and they recommended this route given my combination of skills and experience. However another route for me could also be as a Drug and Alcohol worker which carries 10 less points. Both these appear on the Western Australia state skills in demand list.

I am interested in other peoples experieces in gaining a positive skills assessment for either of these two occupations and any hurdles problems they faced. The Welfare worker route reminds me of preparing a full NVQ file OMG! (Anyone who has gone through this will know what I mean):biglaugh:

Hi Rocki,

I applied via the AIWCW, but under pathway A as I have a Dip SW. I'm not sure that I can be much help to you, I certainly don't envy you having to put a portfolio of evidence together!! Someone on here last year who was looking at pathway B was struggling with the amount of detail that was required. I haven't seen any posts from her since though.

If you know you're going to Western Oz under the regional scheme it may be worth going for the easiest route, if it's going to take you to the same place. How long do you have to work in your nominated profession for?

One good thing is that the AIWCW only took about 4 weeks to approve my application so once it goes off they shouldn't keep you waiting too long. Maybe you could start preparing your main application whilst you're waiting, make the time go faster!

Good luck with it, and if you think there's anything I can do to help feel free to pm me,

Bec x

:wubclub:

Hi again,

Just a thought, have you considered contacting an agent for advice as to the best way forward? Most agents will do a free initial consultation, might just point you in the right direction. My agent had no prior experience with social/welfare workers but he did all the research for me, I didn't even know the AIWCW existed until he told me about it. I was convinced I would never get to Oz as I knew i wouldn't get accreditation as a social worker due to not having a masters/4 year degree. Now 18 months later I have my visa. Just might be worth a phone call, you can sometimes use an agent just for the skills assessment part and do the main application yourself if you want to save money,

Bec x

:wubclub:

Thanks again - I have had a reply from vetassess - with regard to Drug and alcohol counsellor occupation they just need to assess my qualifcations as equivalent to a Batchelor degree which I have - I think i will take this route this will give me 50 points then I will need to take the english IELTS exam to get 25 points I get 15 for being 40 and 5 for 3 years experience which will leave me with 95 points before i go for state nomination. I contacted western Australia regarding nomination and they said you need 100 which includes 10 from them so......I should be ok. I am going to contact an agent for an initial chat but it all sounds promising. I really dont want to have to pay the money if I can save it for my flight!!! However as it took a friend 3 attempts to get in I am thinking of it she did it finally with an agent!

• 2 years later...
Guest gemma123

Hi can anyone help with this. I'm currently a education welfare officer with a social policy and criminology degree and the pathway B is just like a NVQ I can't believe how complicated it is, does anyone have any advice on easier routes? anyone had much luck?

Hi can anyone help with this. I'm currently a education welfare officer with a social policy and criminology degree and the pathway B is just like a NVQ I can't believe how complicated it is, does anyone have any advice on easier routes? anyone had much luck?

I know this is so intimidating especially if you have done a NVQ it is quite daunting

Archived