HIV Test

movetown

I'll make this quick. Anyone know if your unlucky to have contracted HIV, will you be rejected to obtain State sponsorship/PR? even though government states no on the website.

Its bad enough if you have it, but its not the death sentence it used to be, but since i'm going to have the test done with medicals i did start to worry.

HIV is a big no no .... You will not get in easily if you have it... Hence the test.

Also google "Move to Oz with HIV" and yu can read some rejection stories on there.

2012 saw only 59 HIV positive migrants enter Australa on a health waiver.

Before the stigma was removed... HIV infected people were dying, however with treatment the death rate has dropped and many people are living healthy lives on medication. I have been told by a GP and GUM Clinic doctor that in fact "these days" Modern times people are more likely to die of other illnesses before HIV kills them. So i understand when you say you do not have a difinitive answer or understand.

Guest littlesarah
Before the stigma was removed... HIV infected people were dying, however with treatment the death rate has dropped and many people are living healthy lives on medication. I have been told by a GP and GUM Clinic doctor that in fact "these days" Modern times people are more likely to die of other illnesses before HIV kills them. So i understand when you say you do not have a difinitive answer or understand.

The difficulty can be that the newer HIV medications are relatively expensive, and that none of the drugs in current use are completely without side-effects. However, each case is looked at on its own merit, and a person with HIV that is stable and has been so for some time would have a better chance of getting a visa than someone whose condition was not so well-managed.

One of my friends with the condition was unable to secure a sponsored position because of his status, however that was a number of years ago now, and I believe that DIAC now take the view that people with HIV have as individual a prognosis and course as people with other long-term conditions.

It's not clear from your post whether you have been diagnosed with HIV, if so you should make sure you have all the information you can get from your consultant. You'd stand a much better chance, I'm sure, if your CD4 count is good and has been stable for a while. If you don't have a diagnosis, but have reason to believe you may have HIV, I would advise you to seek counselling and support during the testing process.

Please do update us on how you get on, I'd be very interested to know, and I hope things go well for you.

Stay healthy.

Sarah

Sarah

Thank you for your information. I have not been diagnosed with HIV, however i have a lifestyle where there is a risk. i'm here in OZ on a WHV and do not want to go home to the UK. I am able to obtain SS Visa, but the HIV test is freaking me out. Having HIV is'nt good but if your mind is healthy i'd guess you could deal with it, my issue is if i did have it and refused a visa i'd have to go back to the hell hole of a country called "UK". that is harderd to deal with if anything.

But so far i dont have it and i was tested 4 years ago... Its just the up and coming test that freaks me out.

thank you for a more informative response :)

Ok, well if I were you the first thing I would do is go to an std place and get tested. There are free confidential ones all over Australia, just google where you are at the mo.

This is important for two reasons. First off, you will know one way or the other. If you are clear you can stop worrying about it.

Secondly, if you are NOT clear, most people who do still die or become very sick do so because they haven't been diagnosed and are not receiving treatment! If you have it, for it not to be a death sentence you need that treatment. Not only do you need the treatment, but if you stand any chance of getting a visa with it they will want to see how you are doing with the treatment, and more importantly to immigration, how much it is going to cost them.

Hiv really isn't the thing it used to be. If you have got it, it isn't the end of the world. It is pretty much the equivalent of type 1 diabetes: You need drugs, you can lead a perfectly normal life, you just have a slightly higher risk of complications. It is just the stigma which is worse unfortunately.

Guest littlesarah
Sarah

Thank you for your information. I have not been diagnosed with HIV, however i have a lifestyle where there is a risk. i'm here in OZ on a WHV and do not want to go home to the UK. I am able to obtain SS Visa, but the HIV test is freaking me out. Having HIV is'nt good but if your mind is healthy i'd guess you could deal with it, my issue is if i did have it and refused a visa i'd have to go back to the hell hole of a country called "UK". that is harderd to deal with if anything.

But so far i dont have it and i was tested 4 years ago... Its just the up and coming test that freaks me out.

thank you for a more informative response :)

Please, please, please seek out HIV support services and counselling as well as making sure you get tested before the visa application process. A diagnosis of HIV is not a walk in the park, and you can't easily predict how you'll react. My friend was originally diagnosed when he applied for a visa, and we all thought he was coping really well, but it took its toll and he needed a lot of support to come to terms with things.

I don't know what it is in your life that puts you at risk (& I'm not asking to know), but I really do beg you to consider risk reduction strategies - be that single use equipment, condoms or other preventive measures. Whilst HIV may not lead to full-blown AIDS in the short- to medium- term for most people in the Western world with the more common subtypes, it is still associated with complications and nasty drug side-effects. Drug therapy is mostly effective, but resistance can and does develop, and that brings its own set of complications. I hate to think of a person knowingly subjecting themselves to contracting a condition that has stopped my friend from migrating, and that has resulted in his ongoing health issues and associated psychological consequences.

Sorry if this post sounds alarmist - but you cannot mess around with HIV, it still contributes to death and affects personal relationships as well as future life choices. If you have escaped the bullet this time, you really should consider how to protect yourself, because HIV is not harmless and has real and ongoing consequences.

I agree with others. HIV has been 're classified' as a chronic illness for sometime now, rather than acute or terminal - I think this is what the OP was getting at...

At the same time I'd like to agree with Sarah, better not to put yourself in that place if at all avoided. If you do have it many medical advances have taken place, people now live relatively full and long lives with it.

Get tested anonamously at any GUM clinic in the UK before you even start applying. Won't be any nasty surprises or wasted money then. Peace of mind too :-)

Guest littlesarah

A 'relatively long and full life' with HIV is very different from a life without the condition, which is why I'm so very passionate about prevention of transmission, and why I also believe it's vital to get support and advice from trained professionals during the testing process & to help develop a risk reduction strategy. That's what sexual health advisers are there for.

Guest littlesarah

The support services for sexual health (including testing) are really good here in Australia, especially in the capital cities. Medical care is, of course, provided courtesy of Medicare, but if you would like some emotional support before, during or after testing, there are a number of organisations that may be able to help. The one I know most about is in NSW, but there is a national organisation too: http://napwa.org.au/

Sorry if I was very negative previously - I guess this subject is close to my heart because of my very good friend. Who is very well at the moment, even after having a low CD4 count earlier this year - which goes to show that the right drugs can bring things under control.

I hope you don't feel that I'm trying to bully or bombard you - I always feel better when I have information about what's going on, and it's my way of doing something constructive. But I realise that most people are not information-obsessed nerds like I am! I have everything crossed for you.

• 2 weeks later...

i think there may be some restrictions with some professions more than others in terms of the work someone intends to do upon arrival in Australia. They seems to request the test for some professions but not others. I have also read somewhere though that they are moving away from declining visas for HIV individuals as time goes on due to a few successful discrimination appeals in the past. A good migration agent might have more up to date information.

Best of luck

Millie x

Archived