Narre Warren versus Berwick

richselina

Hi,

Just interested in what current residents feel are the pros and cons of living in Berwick versus Narre Warren and vica-versa. We like Berwick a lot, but you seem to get more property for your money in Narre Warren so would appreciate some view points on both. Also, are there any major differences between Narre Warren South, North or East.

Thanks so much,

Richard

Hi Richard, there's always a reason why you get more property for your money! Parts of Narre Warren are quite near Dandenong which does not have a good reputation. Berwick would be generally far far nicer. One part of Narre Warren does have massive houses on acreage, it looks really nice on the surface although a man I know who built a house there did say he was always getting stuff pinched off his site.

Also be aware that Berwick has become very large in recent years, the centre of it is lovely, quite villagey, however most of the rest of it is now a vast sprawling housing estate which extends for hundreds of acres.

Hope that helps - I'm sure someone who lives in one or other of the areas will be along soon to give more specific info.

BB

Narre Warren North is the preferred area for a lot of people. As has been said acres and acres of housing, Berwick has been really spoilt in my opinion. If they had kept the green wedges between the suburbs it would have been much nicer. We thought of buying in Berwick many many years ago and we are so pleased we didn't its way too busy for me.

I love that we have the separate towns, villages here. Yesterday for example went down and picked mum up in Hastings took her to Mount Eliza for coffee at Lintons, driving through lovely horsey green countryside. Had a lovely time and then took her home.

I am off to the egg farm this morning to pick up my eggs, green fields around the town here.

The best thing is that we feel we are in the countryside but we are 10 minutes from Frankston, Mount Eliza, Hastings, Mornington so everything at our finger tips with greenery, can't get better.

some parts of Narre Warren are very 'nazza wozza', but other parts are actually really quite nice. But a lot depends on what you're looking for.

We live in central NW - near the train station - and it's fine, not too noisy, neighbours seem fairly friendly but not in your face. (we came from a tiny village and actually miss nosy neighbours!!)

But we don't love it to be honest - we're renting atm, and in 6 months or so we'll be buying and will probably look over towards Belgrave where we think it's much more of a village feel. Plus we love the hills :) We love the coast too, but we can afford the hills, not the coast! (I work in the city).

NW doesn't have any nice pubs, it does have some cafes - but they're all in flannygate really. Berwick is just down the road though if you don't mind driving there and I like the High st of Berwick, it's really nice :)

Guest Weedy Sea Dragon

Hi - I would say if you have kids check out schools before deciding as some schools are zoned. Also, even if you don't have kids still check out school reputation and zoning as can give an indication of area. We have lived in Narre South and Beaconsfield (very close to Berwick) and liked both.

Hi

We are renting in Narre Warren South at Berwick Springs just on the lake and its a lovely area here. Minutes from Eden Rise and 5k from Fountain gate. We looked at a lot of properties is Narre Warren, north and south and i prefere south, i noticed in alot of area which didn't feel as nice people parked on the grass verges and slightly more scruffy...... I wouldnt buy here though as other have said its a bit sprawl of new houses with every bit of land up for sale, after living in the country in Northumberland in the UK i thought middle suberbia is what we wanted .... im not so sure now, i cant get used to seeing houses out of every window, dont get me wrong beautiful houses manicured gardens lovely lovely area, perfect for renting until we decide what we want.

The old village of Berwick has a lovely feel to it, bit the traffic around here is pretty busy and with all the new estates popping up it going to get worse, saying that i dont know enough about other areas maybe this is a problem where ever you live

Merry xmas to you all xxxx Jo

:xmas24:

Just interested in what current residents feel are the pros and cons of living in Berwick versus Narre Warren and vica-versa. We like Berwick a lot, but you seem to get more property for your money in Narre Warren so would appreciate some view points on both. Also, are there any major differences between Narre Warren South, North or East.

Thanks so much,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

I was born in the Narre Warren/Berwick area of SE Melbourne. Just a few things;

Fountain Gate shopping Centre is in Narre Warren Central, this area is OK to live, though it receives allot of traffic and congestation via the Monash FWY and the HWY, as all Melbournians in South East chooses to shop there. South of the shopping centre, is Narre Warren South, this places receives bad press from Cranbourne neighbourhoods. Cranbourne has a negative reputation (its a cheap area to live), which is influencing the sorrounding areas, i.e. Narre South.

Narre North is a very beautiful place to live-its expensive. You can still access the F/Gate and you are tucked away behind the Major roads and you can easily access Lysterfield and the Dandenongs and escape Melbourne. You will get some traffic filtering through Lysterfield Lake and beyond as the people who live in around Ferntree Gully will use this way to access F/Gate or Berwick. Living in Narre North you have access to the Dandenongs and this links in with Belgrave, Ferntree Gully (Knox Shopping Centre) and East Link. Also there is only 1 train station in Narre Warren and its a 10 min walk from F/Gate, so public transport is not that great around there.

As For Berwick, the local council are developing main/village street Berwick as the next 'South Bank', even though there is no river LOL. Berwick is expensive, just another place along the Fwy. Its more attractive then Narre Warren, your only access out of Berwick is Fwy to Melbourne or to Pakenham, or north by the backroads from Harkaway.

My Sister lives in Emerald, it has a very village feel to it, and a cute tourist train to Emerald Lake Park, driving access from Narre, Pakenham, Belgrave, Ferntree Gully. Major Melbourne traffic avoid it as they use Monash etc.

(Lastly think about fire hazard, my sister & her family are on fire alert in Emerald, thats the other cost of living in Emerald, Belgrave and the Dandenongs).

My wife loves F/Gate and the shops, so this maybe an area we will buy into.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hi there. We land in Auz early September and need to find a place to live and good schools. We really like the look of Berwick but are finding the properties within the berwick secondry college zone a liitle expensive. The proeprties in narre warren and O'shea road area of Berwick are much cheaper. Does anyone know what the schools are like in the Narre Warren/O'shea Road area? My daughter is 7 yrs old, we have a tour booked in at Berwick Primary and we are totally confused where or not to go for a house closer to Berwick High Street or further south near O'shea road.

Archived