Good hostels in Perth

DenKav

Can anybody reccommend a good hostel in Perth? I do not know what I plan to do once there at the moment so the requirements I have at the mo are just that I would like it to be on a good location for work & social. My friend stayed at billabong a few years ago which he recommends but the reviews on hostel world for there aren't very good. I have found coolibah has good reviews but not as many reviews as billabong. If anybody has any first hand experience of these hostels or any others in Perth then any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I've not come across one of that name no. I wasn't aware of the YHA but have just had a look & they do have a hostel in Perth which does actually sound very good but it is more expensive than the hostel I found on hostelworld so I will leave it for a bit before booking anything to see if anybody can recommend a good hostel. Thanks

Don't judge by price alone. You might be in dorm with eight beds as opposed to four I don't know. I guess there are others on here with some 'real' experience of hostels? I stayed at Travelmates in November, 1978, and it was thirty years later, in Sydney, before I next experienced one, the YHA on Rawson Place/Pitt St. That one is very nice but I can remember one of the guys in my room telling me that it was in his personal 'creme de la creme' of hostels.

Yes its not worth just looking at price. i would also consider finding the work first then a hostel to suit. The msin thing is going to be work ? and social ?. I look at it as where theres work there will be people = social so your half way there. Maybe just book 1 or 2 nights in a cheap place to get over your jetlag then go from there.

I wasn't just looking at price, that was the idea of this post to get recommendations on good locations etc. I definitely don't just want the cheapest place otherwise I would have booked it already. I don't know whether I will work in Perth or move on straight away so I was planning on booking a week in a hostel & then take it from there. I just didn't want to book a week & then once I'm there it be fully booked after that week so I would have to leave even if I want to stay there. So preferably I would like to find a decent hostel & book up for a couple of weeks so that I can settle down & not have to start moving about as soon as I get there. The yha hostel isn't actually that much more expensive to be honest so maybe I will book there but would like to know if it is in a good location or what area is a 'good location' in Perth?

I dont know myself, i havent travled yet. My mate has traveled there and is currently living in perth so can ask him tomoz for you to see if he can suggest somewhere. I can understand you wanting to book up a few weeks but if you get there and hate it your stuck as wont be able to get a refund. speaking with people there is always plenty of places to stay without booking. What sort of prices are you getting per night and does it get cheaper if you book week or longer

Good location would be one near transport links and the city. Just look them up on a map and see if they are walking distance to a train station. There are a few in the city and North bridge. Tripadvisor might be a good place to ask this question. There are some out in Scarborough right on the beach and Cottelsoe which is nice if you want to chill on a beach for two weeks but no good if you need to go looking for work. Other thing to check is if it has air conditioning - I drive past the one in Cottelsoe often an it's a dorm room with windows wide open as there is no a/c. Not nice if it is over 30 degrees even with a sea breeze.

Yea I know what you mean, maybe a couple of weeks would be a bit long, there is no discount for booking more nights so maybe just a week will do initially. I think the rooms were about $39 for a dorm. Yea air con is a must, 8 lads in one room will get hot & sweaty!! Haha billabong does sound good, all of the facilities sound appealing, it even says on hostelworld that it has a small gym. I think I will just book a week there. Did you lads take a sleeping bag or are you planning on it?

Yea I think I will take a sleeping bag & a small travel pillow. I duno how I'm ever going to fit everything into a back pack, I'm always over weight even when going on holiday & I haven't go a clue what to pack for Oz so I'm sure I will want to take too much. Yea sorry I was mistaken, I've looked at that many hostels recently that I forget which is what :-s It was actually the YHA in Perth that has the gym, have you ever stayed there or heard anything about it?

Hi, I stayed in the YHA last Febuary for about 6 weeks, while I found my feet and a long term rental. I found it quite pleasant, there is a mix of workers and travellers, quite a few revellers but they tend to be well behaved in the hostel, yes it has a small gym and a nice pool, there is also a bar that does food and the cheapest pints I've found in Perth! The rooms all have aircon and are 4 bed dorms, only a short walk to the food shops in the CBD and train station, only had a basic look around on review sites before going with YHA based on positive reviews and transport links, as I was travelling up to Clarkson every day.

Though everyone has there own priorities when finding accommodation, so you might well prefer some of the other options.

Alan

Thanks Alan, some good info :) I think I will book up with YHA. Do you get discounts there if you join the UK YHA? Most of the reviews I have read for the YHA have been good, a lot better than some of the others that I was looking into. I am not a fussy person so if most other people are happy there then I'm sure it will do for me, it will probably only be for a short time anyway until I decide where to go from there. Thanks for the help

Archived