Just had first shipping company out

Loulouhew

They are a local firm Bishops move but part of Masons moving group

told us we would need a 40ft container as we have about 1500cubic ft of stuff his cut off for a 20ft one is 1050 cft. Said it will be around £5500 plus fees other end of $600 . Offers 4 weeks free storage this end plus reduced rate for longer.

Have 2 other companies coming out but not until jan , so we shall see!

Lou

We have just had a mover over to us (yesterday) saying i had 830cubic ft and would need a 20ft container also.. but our cost was £5000 plus we had to pay at other end $440..oh and their insurance quote was £954....so i will be looking around at other re-movers... i would'nt mind but this is the second time we will be moving to Oz we done it 4 years ago .... and the cost for them to move everything in a 3 bed house was £4000 including insurance and nothing to pay the other end! Just goes to show how much things have changed in four years...

Oh and the first move was to Tassie but this time we are going to Gold Coast!!!

Insurance he told us would be 3% of the value of our things ! Thought we would be ok with a 20ft one so will have to weigh up the cost of getting rid of some stuff against cost of a bigger container . Are you going to get other quotes ?

We are getting other quotes... just need to find a decent company..one that doesnt want to charge the earth... i wouldnt mind but we have got rid of loads of stuff aswell... we.re not taking things like Sofas, dinning room table and chairs and NO KITCHEN equipment either.......

I really wouldn't get your shipping insurance from your shipping company - there are companies who will do it for 1 - 2%. Just a different company to send forms to - if you have the time and inclination you can save some cash.

Remember to factor in any delivery costs at this end - we are over 100km from the port so made sure the extra delivery charge was included by all my quoters so I could compare properly. Also AQIS fees can be left out by some and not others....

I really wouldn't bring BBQs or garden furniture. Bikes are worth cleaning and bringing. We bought our fridge but not washer or dryer - just bought cheapie secondhanders to last till our fridge arrived and washer/dryer was bought as soon as we had a rental (can not live without those for too long with 4 kids lol)

I liked the person from crown on the phone so will see what they say when they come out, and they have an office in perth so no change of company other end . Not taking out fridge/freezer as its integrated but taking washing machine and dishwasher .

Thanks for all the advice !

Lou

We had three quotes for 824 cu ft (20ft container) (Gloucestershire to Brisbane) from Pickfords, Robinsons and GB Liners. GB were £1K more expensive than the others and with a bit of negotiating we have Pickfords and Robinsons at c. £3600. We haven't decided on what I am insuring or not but have been advised by a colleague who moved from the UK to Perth last year you can get at least 0.5% off their standard premiums if you insist. Anyone any advice?

Also and perhaps more importantly, I heard yesterday that Pickfords went into Administration a few weeks ago only to bought out by the same owners thus avoiding paying a huge pensions bill. I understand this is quite legal but if they can avoid paying their staff's pensions (and creditors) then do they truely care about their customers??

We used Crown from Scotland and they were great. We managed to condense everything into a 20ft container by packing everything that had space in it with smaller stuff (eg) linen baskets with towels, jugs with cutlery, quilts into underbed storage drawers, chest of drawers with bedding, clothes, etc, flatpacking anything that could be flatpacked, keeping dvds in bookcases, etc. We eventually saved over 300cubic feet.

I liked the person from crown on the phone so will see what they say when they come out, and they have an office in perth so no change of company other end . Not taking out fridge/freezer as its integrated but taking washing machine and dishwasher .

Thanks for all the advice !

Lou

Hi just a heads up to make sure you ask how much is the charge for quarantine the other end. Quarantine have a set fee the other end I was $40 dollars for a 20ft container, but the auz partners charged $520 for this charge and refused to break down invoice. We quizzed them more and they admitted that the uk end know about the standard $520 charge, as it covers their handling fees, although UK agent said all fees included apart from quarantine fee. SO when your get like for like quotes, make sure the actual cost of quarantine is as per the government web site, ( AQUIS) and if you find the sales person says around 400 to 500 dollars ask why the difference.

I have spoken to others and crown include the fee in the price, but appear more expensive, but in fact are cheaper when you compare the added sting from the auz partner hidden as a "quarantine process fee".

Archived