417 Visa in Canberra.. what to do?

coryfrazer

Hello everyone!

Desperately need some advise - especially from anyone who has experience in the job market looking in Canberra. I'm presently living in Perth, WA; under a 417 (Working Holiday) Visa. Ultimately, I have found myself a partner - an Australian - born and bred, and he has gotten a position with the federal government in Canberra. This starts in January. I am going with him come Mid-January (2 weeks after he does).

Now, the problem is - I have been ringing around employment agencies and doing internet research and it seems the whole city is essentially based around the public sector.. either state but mostly federal government (obviously).. and even the private sector has some sort of link to some-what federal government contracts.. therefore it means my employment opportunities are severely limited. As obviously this requires employees to be Australian citizens and / or P.R.

Additionally, due to the size of the city and the obvious unpopularity with backpackers (the stereotype my visa is with).. it doesn't bring much of a 'backpacker' aka temporary job positions within the city, nor a support base or any sort of help for people in my position.

On top of this, i would like to get sponsored somewhat.. or get a job that is willing to hire a person in my visa position.

Does anyone have any idea what avenues I could take with this? It's a little bit frustrating to say the least!

I'm 22, hold a degree in Business with Human Geography and have 4-5 years of combined marketing, sales and H.R experience; however any admin position I am happy to do in general.

Please guys, would love some advise you can give :).

Cheers!

Hello everyone!

Desperately need some advise - especially from anyone who has experience in the job market looking in Canberra. I'm presently living in Perth, WA; under a 417 (Working Holiday) Visa. Ultimately, I have found myself a partner - an Australian - born and bred, and he has gotten a position with the federal government in Canberra. This starts in January. I am going with him come Mid-January (2 weeks after he does).

Now, the problem is - I have been ringing around employment agencies and doing internet research and it seems the whole city is essentially based around the public sector.. either state but mostly federal government (obviously).. and even the private sector has some sort of link to some-what federal government contracts.. therefore it means my employment opportunities are severely limited. As obviously this requires employees to be Australian citizens and / or P.R.

Additionally, due to the size of the city and the obvious unpopularity with backpackers (the stereotype my visa is with).. it doesn't bring much of a 'backpacker' aka temporary job positions within the city, nor a support base or any sort of help for people in my position.

On top of this, i would like to get sponsored somewhat.. or get a job that is willing to hire a person in my visa position.

Does anyone have any idea what avenues I could take with this? It's a little bit frustrating to say the least!

I'm 22, hold a degree in Business with Human Geography and have 4-5 years of combined marketing, sales and H.R experience; however any admin position I am happy to do in general.

Please guys, would love some advise you can give :).

Cheers!

There are plenty of backpackers here all the time. Not sure where that idea came from?

I think you should pick up something casual but as for your long term career prospects they aren't going to be great with your current qualifications unless you become permanent (and a irises, eventually). There were (last year anyway) often signs in shop windows wanting casual staff - Subway in Civic always had a notice and if you get there before December you will be beating the new rush of students wanting jobs. Get your RSA and RSG certificates and you can work in clubs and restaurants. If you want to stay longer, of course, then you will either need to venture out to rural NSW for some casual regional work or look to proving your partner status. There isn't much on The Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-jobs/canberra/c9302l3002977?ad=offering but its worth a look

You're right that many of the roles in Canberra are connected to Govt and you wouldn't be considered. However, there are lots of private sector roles that are not connected to Govt in any way.

If I was in your position I would start with the temp agencies as you have more chance of getting work straight away and if you are any good they will keep you busy with work. Temp roles often lead to something more permanent as well.

Google recruitment agencies in the ACT and give them a call.

Good luck.

Archived