Which visa? ACCA/Finance & sister in WA

Lou8670

Hi there

I am new to this forum and my husband and I are just starting the process and are looking at which visa is best for us. Any friendly advice would be much appreciated.

We have 3 kids (8:6:6) and are both qualified ACCA - hubbie under 3 yrs ago and me 4 years ago (but both os us have heaps of relevant experience at senior levels which unfortunately is not considered under the skills assessment). Hubbie is 35 and I am 42. I also have a degree (but unrelated) and am a Chartered Fellow of the Securities Institute (level 6 FSA) since 2002. We have both worked finance roles both in the private and public sector for the last 18 years.

My sister in law lives in Western Australia so we could apply for a 489 visa with family sponsorship.

We also have a friend in Perth who is a recruitment consultant who has said we should come on a 457 visa.

We have also been looking at applying for a 189 and/or 190 visa.

We have our IELTS test booked for Jan 2013 as need 8+ score for skills assessment.

I know that a 457 does not require an EOI through skills select and is quicker but to be honest speed is not the essence as we have a lot of affairs to sort and assets to liquidate/$ to save before moving.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!! I have been researching and researching on immi, internet and these forums but everytime I think I have it sussed I find out something new which throws the cat amongst the pigeons!

Many thanks

Lou :arghh:

Guest Guest26012

Hi and welcome! I have little knowledge of visas but others on here will be along to help! A registered migration agent would be a good start!

Hi there

I am new to this forum and my husband and I are just starting the process and are looking at which visa is best for us. Any friendly advice would be much appreciated.

We have 3 kids (8:6:6) and are both qualified ACCA - hubbie under 3 yrs ago and me 4 years ago (but both os us have heaps of relevant experience at senior levels which unfortunately is not considered under the skills assessment). Hubbie is 35 and I am 42. I also have a degree (but unrelated) and am a Chartered Fellow of the Securities Institute (level 6 FSA) since 2002. We have both worked finance roles both in the private and public sector for the last 18 years.

My sister in law lives in Western Australia so we could apply for a 489 visa with family sponsorship.

We also have a friend in Perth who is a recruitment consultant who has said we should come on a 457 visa.

We have also been looking at applying for a 189 and/or 190 visa.

We have our IELTS test booked for Jan 2013 as need 8+ score for skills assessment.

I know that a 457 does not require an EOI through skills select and is quicker but to be honest speed is not the essence as we have a lot of affairs to sort and assets to liquidate/$ to save before moving.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!! I have been researching and researching on immi, internet and these forums but everytime I think I have it sussed I find out something new which throws the cat amongst the pigeons!

Many thanks

Lou :arghh:

I must be missing the issue, seems that either one of you could apply for a skilled migrant visa as an accountant. Perhaps your OH as he will get more points for age. The accountancy skills assessment does not require experience, the ACCA qualification would be enough and then all he has to do is pass a points test.

I would not be looking at a 489, that is last resort type of visa. Also chances of an accountant getting 457 sponsorship are low to pretty remote, there are bags of accountants around and there really is no need for any employer to look overseas. Any case the permanent visa is much better and especially with a young family. The 189/190 are where you should be focussing.

I may be wrong, but I thought you had to hold a relevant degree as well as your professional qualification for assesment purposes.

I did come over (as an accountant) on the Critical Skills List that existed at the time and had to go through all sorts of hoops to get copies of degree transcripts from my university 15 years after graduating so might be worth clarifying that first.

I am CIMA and did the application in my name. My wife is ACCA (or FCCA as you get the F for doing nothing after 5 years membership - not bitter, oh no!) but self studied i.e. has a degree in "real life".

The lack of a degree has not prevented her finding work as most employers are sensible enough to recognise experience counts, especailly in the oil & gas arena.

If you are not coming over as a skilled migrant (subclass 175) then maybe this does not matter but I'd check early on.

I may be wrong, but I thought you had to hold a relevant degree as well as your professional qualification for assesment purposes.

You are wrong. The degree does not need to be relevant to accounting.

It took one phone call to get my (non relevant) degree transcripts, 17 years after graduating.

I must be missing the issue, seems that either one of you could apply for a skilled migrant visa as an accountant. Perhaps your OH as he will get more points for age. The accountancy skills assessment does not require experience, the ACCA qualification would be enough and then all he has to do is pass a points test.

I would not be looking at a 489, that is last resort type of visa. Also chances of an accountant getting 457 sponsorship are low to pretty remote, there are bags of accountants around and there really is no need for any employer to look overseas. Any case the permanent visa is much better and especially with a young family. The 189/190 are where you should be focussing.

Thanks Rupert. this is really helpful. you might be able to clarify something for me. I took it that you could not claim points for relevant experience unless it was post qualification as the skills assessment by the assessing body will only look at post qualification work experience when they are assessing your skills but reading booklet 6 again this morning I am now think i might have misunderstood. Booklet 6 states "In the 10 years immediately prior to receiving an invitation, you have been employed outside Australia in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, for a period totalling at least xx months (x years)". Can we claim points for work experience in a related occupation even if the experience is pre-qualification? If we can then hubbie can claim additional points for work experience, otherwise we are a bit lean on the points requirement which is why we were looking at a 489 visa family sponsored.

Thanks

I did come over (as an accountant) on the Critical Skills List that existed at the time and had to go through all sorts of hoops to get copies of degree transcripts from my university 15 years after graduating so might be worth clarifying that first.

I am CIMA and did the application in my name. My wife is ACCA (or FCCA as you get the F for doing nothing after 5 years membership - not bitter, oh no!) but self studied i.e. has a degree in "real life".

The lack of a degree has not prevented her finding work as most employers are sensible enough to recognise experience counts, especailly in the oil & gas arena.

If you are not coming over as a skilled migrant (subclass 175) then maybe this does not matter but I'd check early on.

I've already checked this out and you need a degree but ACCA with full membership meets this requirement.

in reply to "We have our IELTS test booked for Jan 2013 as need 8+ score for skills assessment." No you don't.

I'm afraid we need an IELTS score of 8 or above as it's required for our skills assessment when assessed by CPA, ICAA or IPA despite not being a visa requirement. Annoying I know and I had to reinforce this with my hubbie as he didn't believe me. You get an automatic IELTS score of 6 with a UK passport but we need a higher score for our skills assessment so we unfortunately have got to sit the test.

I'm afraid we need an IELTS score of 8 or above as it's required for our skills assessment when assessed by CPA, ICAA or IPA despite not being a visa requirement. Annoying I know and I had to reinforce this with my hubbie as he didn't believe me. You get an automatic IELTS score of 6 with a UK passport but we need a higher score for our skills assessment so we unfortunately have got to sit the test.

No you require Academic IELTS 7's for each component

"complete an Academic IELTS test and achieve a score of at least seven in each of the four components (Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing)"

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/cpa-site/hs.xsl/become-how-migration-requirements-criteria.html

"To be eligible to migrate to Australia, you must have qualifications assessed as at least comparable to the level of an Australian bachelor degree and provide evidence of a minimum IELTS (Academic) score of Band 7 on each of the four components - speaking, reading, listening and writing." http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/About-migration-assessment.aspx

"You must show evidence of the successful completion of IELTS Academic English with a band score of at least 7.0 in each of the four components - speaking, reading, listening and writing." http://www.publicaccountants.org.au/immigration/what-is-ielts

It clearly says 7's for each Assessing Authority - if you think you need 8's this is will be for points purposes and can be from General test.

Hi,

I have recently lodged a190 with state sponsorship with WA and claimed 0 experience. (I didn't want to run the risk of my employer finding out). I am 39 so had 65 points in total. (I think the same as your husband). If you get nominated by the state, you automatically are given an invite - if you are definitely wanting to move to WA I think this would be your best option. Personally, I would avoid being sponsored by employers/family if possible as it has a slightly higher risk when trying to acquire permanent residency.

I have done all of the applications without an agent and found it pretty straight forward.

For the IELTS, it took the Academic first but only scored a 7.5 on the writiting module - which was good enough for my skills assessment (so submitted that) and instead of waiting for a remark, just wrote the General (scored 9's) which gave me the points for immigration purposes.

Please feel free to send me a pm with any questions.

Rosie

I have been granted Permanent Residency under the old rules Before July 2012 . Will it affect my PR in anyway in the future when renewing for RRV or for applying for Citizenship.

Cheers

This does not seem related to the OPs question. Proper etiquette is to start your own thread and not hijack other people's whilst still active. Thanks.

:biggrin:

Thanks Rupert. this is really helpful. you might be able to clarify something for me. I took it that you could not claim points for relevant experience unless it was post qualification as the skills assessment by the assessing body will only look at post qualification work experience when they are assessing your skills but reading booklet 6 again this morning I am now think i might have misunderstood. Booklet 6 states "In the 10 years immediately prior to receiving an invitation, you have been employed outside Australia in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, for a period totalling at least xx months (x years)". Can we claim points for work experience in a related occupation even if the experience is pre-qualification? If we can then hubbie can claim additional points for work experience, otherwise we are a bit lean on the points requirement which is why we were looking at a 489 visa family sponsored.

Thanks

I would estimate that your husband could get the required 60 points with no experience whatsoever (age, degree and IELTS >8). Then with a state sponsorship he could get another 5 and with the 3 years experience a further 5.

I always thought that accountants could use pre-qualification experience, however unless you got this confirmed from a professional, I would look to apply without using it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived