if only i'd known......

Jamie hall

Hi all, only 4 weeks to go till we get to Melbourne. (staying at docklands service apartment for 6 wks before renting)

As the title suggests, for those of you who have already made the move i have a question.

During those first couple of weeks in Australia what are your top tips/lessons learned?

ie, those - 'if only i'd known in advance' or 'we should have done it this way'

Just seeing if you friendly internet people can give some tips. Cheers!

J.

Check out all sides of Melbourne because there is a huge variation there. The East is leafy and pleasant, the West more edgy and urban and the beach suburbs are different again- depends what you want but if you don't like what you see in one area, look around more. Prices also vary considerably- and not necessarily by the state of the property, either. Happy hunting!

Hi Jamie

I lived in kent moved over here 9 months ago. I would say one thing I wish we had of done was be tighter with the purse strings at first until you start earning in dollars your savings WILL take a kicking! So I would just be carefully with that. If you intended on moving about rent a cheap car don't be proud like we were they know how to charge.But the most important thing is keep the reason why you mad this move at the front of your mind I every decision and move that you make and you will be fine.

Anything else you are not sure of let me know as I'm London/kent boy and will help where I can

Mark

Oh yeah - if you hire a hire car then get the full insurance!

We were rear ended when we arrived in March and had to pay out over $3000 in excess. It has taken almost 9 months of me fighting to sort this out myself (the company weren't bothered as they said it wasn't worth their while to chase such a small amount!!!) and finally got it back today!

Take one or two short (one metre) British extension leads with 4 or 6 way blocks on the end. Only one change of plug will let you plug in multiple items like mobile phones, computers, etc. etc. Even 5 years in we're still using one of these leads for things with "wall wart" style mains adaptors that can't be changed.

Oh yeah - if you hire a hire car then get the full insurance!

We were rear ended when we arrived in March and had to pay out over $3000 in excess. It has taken almost 9 months of me fighting to sort this out myself (the company weren't bothered as they said it wasn't worth their while to chase such a small amount!!!) and finally got it back today!

That is shocking! The local police station here has big signs up saying 'if you go into the back of another vehicle you are 100% at fault'.

It being easier for the company not to chase it is terrible customer services. Glad you got it sorted out in the end.

Archived