can a 50 year old get PR??????

norah9

Hi, we have a job offer for 457 starting feb '13. OH working as a doctor in rural area of need. idea was that he would be sponsored for 2 years and after that time could apply for pr visa. From what we have gathered the skills assessment would mean he has an exam and we want to avoid that at all cost. when you get to a certain age and place in your career the last thing you want is to have to study again to pass some exam. But he will turn 50 two months prior to the end of his initial 2 year contract. Our eldest child would be due to start uni over there in 2 years so that is the reason we would need the pr---can't afford international student fees!!! Checked online to see what diac have to say about Age, Skill and English Language Exemptions – Permanent Employer Sponsored ProgramFrom 1 July 2012 the exceptional circumstances provisions which apply to the permanent employer sponsored program......

have been working for their nominating employer as the holder of a subclass 457 visa for the last four years and whose earnings were at least equivalent to the Fair Work Australia High Income Threshold* for each year over that period.

So now i am really panicking as i dont know if we can actually apply in 2 years time for a pr if my husband has already turned 50. If we have to stay on the 457 (which is fine for emplyer) but not great for us as we are eligible for the high uni fees.

so i have been clearing out the house over the past few weeks getting ready for our move and now panicking about the whole thing. we feel very very young and not bothered about the move generally speaking and a bit shocked that these visa sites are suggesting we are getting a bit old to apply!!!!!!!

so does anyone have advise re the age 50 application for us.thanks:arghh:

thanks for your reply lebourvellec. i work in the arts and not on the skills list so i definitely wont be offered a PR!!!!! So we will look into the 187 as you said. we have put a lot into getting this far had originally hoped to be in OZ last month and have been under a lot of stress with the bureaucracy involved so far with registration etc . so its very discouraging to realize that getting the pr could be a bigger issue than we imagined. so onto looking at our eligibility for the 187 RSMS. Thanks again

thanks for your reply lebourvellec. i work in the arts and not on the skills list so i definitely wont be offered a PR!!!!! So we will look into the 187 as you said. we have put a lot into getting this far had originally hoped to be in OZ last month and have been under a lot of stress with the bureaucracy involved so far with registration etc . so its very discouraging to realize that getting the pr could be a bigger issue than we imagined. so onto looking at our eligibility for the 187 RSMS. Thanks again

If you are in Regional Australia - the regional one will be the better one, for your situation, and can apply as soon as your OH employer agrees. As long as he has qualifications and 3 years of work experience. The nomination Process can take some time, so get a RMA, once granted you have to stay with your employer for 2 years in the position that has sponsored you. (It has been said that as long as you stay in the position for 1 year and made reasonable effort to stay with the employer, it would be unlikely that visa would be cancelled if dont stay the 2 years).

Hi, we have a job offer for 457 starting feb '13. OH working as a doctor in rural area of need. idea was that he would be sponsored for 2 years and after that time could apply for pr visa. From what we have gathered the skills assessment would mean he has an exam and we want to avoid that at all cost. when you get to a certain age and place in your career the last thing you want is to have to study again to pass some exam. But he will turn 50 two months prior to the end of his initial 2 year contract. Our eldest child would be due to start uni over there in 2 years so that is the reason we would need the pr---can't afford international student fees!!! Checked online to see what diac have to say about Age, Skill and English Language Exemptions – Permanent Employer Sponsored ProgramFrom 1 July 2012 the exceptional circumstances provisions which apply to the permanent employer sponsored program......

have been working for their nominating employer as the holder of a subclass 457 visa for the last four years and whose earnings were at least equivalent to the Fair Work Australia High Income Threshold* for each year over that period.

So now i am really panicking as i dont know if we can actually apply in 2 years time for a pr if my husband has already turned 50. If we have to stay on the 457 (which is fine for emplyer) but not great for us as we are eligible for the high uni fees.

so i have been clearing out the house over the past few weeks getting ready for our move and now panicking about the whole thing. we feel very very young and not bothered about the move generally speaking and a bit shocked that these visa sites are suggesting we are getting a bit old to apply!!!!!!!

so does anyone have advise re the age 50 application for us.thanks:arghh:

You seem to have found the right rules so I think you already know that no, you won't be able to apply for PR in two years via the transition stream as four years is necessary after age 50. If this is major problem then you need to look into other options such as getting PR much sooner. I have no idea what the skills assessment would look like but it rarely involves studying for exams, are you sure it means this?

You have possibly started to think about this a bit late in the day by the sounds of it, but better now than later still. You are absolutely right to be concerned and you should be working on your PR visa strategy now.

You may feel young but this branch of immigration is all about getting workers to Australia so they want to get the benefit of remaining working years which surely diminishes with age. They have to draw a line somewhere.

Hi. have been looking through PR pathways online and generally wrecking my head over it all. It seems that for any pr visa including the 189 one must be under 50 when applying for it. So we need to find out what the requirement is for the skills assessment. any doctors out there who have been through this??? thanks for the advise.

Hi. have been looking through PR pathways online and generally wrecking my head over it all. It seems that for any pr visa including the 189 one must be under 50 when applying for it. So we need to find out what the requirement is for the skills assessment. any doctors out there who have been through this??? thanks for the advise.

The RSMS 187 is a PR visa.

And will not need a skills assessment.

Yes need to be under 50 - you can apply through the Direct Stream, you said OH 50 in 2 years time.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-187/

• 3 years later...

Hi I was just wondering if u managed to get pr , I have the same predicament

Archived