Qantas QF1 flight LHR-PER reviews and jet lag help

paddyandhollyB23

hi we are flying to perth from london in january I want to see what the flight is like. We are on the a380 on 1st leg to Singapore.

also we wanted to know if there is a standard charge for extra luggage or cost per kg.. I am also thinking of taking my golf clubs with me .

another query for me is jet lag as I've heard it is better to stay awake on the night flight and to reach the destination tired . It will be 1am when we land in perth so after a sleep that night and a sensible wake up time, this should cure the jet lag??? We have never flown long distance before and wanted to see if any of you had any help..... :confused:

Thanks

Paddy

:wink:

And tbh everyone copes differently flying long haul. Personally I like the night flight out if Heathrow to Singapore, a few hours on the ground then get back on the next flight to also fly the night flight and land about 7am Aus time.

We've not flown LHR-PER with Qantas, but have with Emirates, and we landed at 1am Aus time. To be honest, we just slept whenever we felt tired, probably only managed about 6 hours total, and just went straight to bed when we got to our rellies house and got up around 9am the following morning, we didn't encounter any jet lag......4 year old included!!

I can't say the same about when we got home though!!! Waking at 4am everyday for 10 days was not fun ha ha

Thanks for the replies - I think we will look at the website in more detail. We will prob do with a case each but would be good to get another between us.

Yeah I think that is our plan really as well. Try and get a bit of sleep on plane where we can but by landing late at night oz time we can get to bed and will be shattered by journey. Fi gers crossed this will work as I have heard some horror film stories from friends.

Did you travel by a380? We have paid a bit extra to sit upstairs but still in economy. Hoping as it's a bit smaller and on upper deck it should be quieter/better service etc.

We flew with them last year on a reccie trip. First long haul flight for all of us, didn't get much sleep from Heathrow to Singapore as 2 1/2 yea old decided he didn't want to :confused:. Great choice of films food was good although the kids not that fussed. We landed in Perth about 2pm and just stayed up till about 10 pm none of us suffered any jet lag including the kids and my mum (59). Lots of space to move about to stretch your legs . Would fly with them again .

I think jet lag must be a personal thing, you either suffer or you don't. Me, I suffer terribly with it coming from West to East (not the other way) it takes me at least a week to start fully sleeping for longer than a couple of hours and then another week to be totally back to normal.

I hate it, and I've tried all sorts of remedies and 'jet lag calculators' nothing seems to really work.

My husband on the other hand doesn't suffer at all - which leaves me feeling very fustrated when I'm staring at the ceiling at 3am!!

I've only ever taken an evening flight out of LHR and then slept most of the way to BNE bar getting off and back on at Singapore and arrived in the morning. I then make myself stay awake and go to bed at my usual bed time. The next morning I feel fine, no jet lag. That's my personal "cure" anyway :-)

Thanks for the replies - I think we will look at the website in more detail. We will prob do with a case each but would be good to get another between us.

Yeah I think that is our plan really as well. Try and get a bit of sleep on plane where we can but by landing late at night oz time we can get to bed and will be shattered by journey. Fi gers crossed this will work as I have heard some horror film stories from friends.

Did you travel by a380? We have paid a bit extra to sit upstairs but still in economy. Hoping as it's a bit smaller and on upper deck it should be quieter/better service etc.

Yeah we travelled A380 DBX-LHR on the way back, it was lovely, lots of leg room etc, but even on the other smaller planes we still had plenty of room.

You'll be fine, just relax and enjoy it!!

Archived