Transferring visa to a new UK passport

abz123

Hi all

We will be back in the UK at Christmas and I was wondering about taking the plunge and renewing my daughter's passport (which expires next year anyway) while we are there.

Question is, I understand that the UKPA will cancel the old passport when they issue the new one, but how do we get the visa transferred over? We will be passing through London but don't really want to sit around the embassy if it can be avoided.

Or is it better just to renew through the AustraliaPost method? In that case, I still have the question about getting the visa in the new passport.

I feel easier about making the visit to the passport office and getting a new passport in hand than sending it away (from Oz) and waiting for it to be renewed in case there is a sudden unexpected need to travel i.e. bad news but want to ensure a smooth transfer of the visa at the same time.

You can send new passport to Australia House for Visa Evidencing if you want when in UK, send passport with Silver Special Delivery Pouch, enclose self addressed one with it. Turn around really fast. We sent ours on the Monday got back Wed.

Thanks - might consider that but a bit apprehensive doing it during the Christmas rush.

• 1 month later...

Diac told my wife they no longer put the stickers in your passport.

We filled out form 424 to notify them of name change and then form 929 to swap visa over on passport.

Diac never told us the visa had been swapped over we only found out as I checked on the website using my old trn number and the new passport was showing.

Sorry to butt in on this post, but we are currently completing form 929 for our son and it asks to have a certified copy of the new passport sent with the form...bensdad, did your wife have her copy certified? Our agent previously certified all our required documents but no longer offers this service. I have read previously that because its a colour scan it doesnt require certifying, but was wondering if thats true. Thanks in advance.

Hi we got hers certified as she works with a friend who is qualified to sign. We completed form 424 first to change her name the form 929 to swap the visa from one passport to the other. The 929 was not as strict as the name change so I reckon a colour scan should do it IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Purpledonna,

Sorry for late reply.. We submitted the form and a colour scan of passport without certification at 4pm our time and woke up to an email the next morning saying that the required changes had been made.. very easy peasy!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Purpledonna,

Sorry for late reply.. We submitted the form and a colour scan of passport without certification at 4pm our time and woke up to an email the next morning saying that the required changes had been made.. very easy peasy!

Thanks for getting back to me. I sent my b&w copy that was certified by the local police but I never heard anything back to say it had been received or processed? Weird.

Archived