I'm confused?!

Robertsclan

Hi there

I'm confused as there is a big promotion to immigrate to SA by the SA government but when I look for mental health jobs (a supposedly much needed profession) there are thin pickings if any?

Adelaide in many ways could be a really good fit for our family but we are currently looking at other states as we just cant seem to see much work in SA for mental health nurses.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be grateful?

Thanks so much.

Hi there

I'm confused as there is a big promotion to immigrate to SA by the SA government but when I look for mental health jobs (a supposedly much needed profession) there are thin pickings if any?

Adelaide in many ways could be a really good fit for our family but we are currently looking at other states as we just cant seem to see much work in SA for mental health nurses.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be grateful?

Thanks so much.

Hello Robertsclan,

My husband and I plan to move to Adelaide in August 2013. Like you, I was very worried when i searched RMN jobs in Adelaide. Before deciding on moving to Adelaide i managed to secure 4 posts across Australia....

I have joined an agency, a reputable one and they have explained that the job situation in Adelaide is strange when it comes to mental health nursing. The agency explained that it doesnt work the same in SA as it does in other Australian states or at home in the UK. I was told that hospitals dont put out advertisements when they need positions to be filled and that they rely a lot on agency nurses and then as an agency nurse you secure a job this way. There are a few perm positions that are being advertised at the moment but generally this is the way things are done in SA health.

I was a bit worried/dubious when I heard this but my friend who is nursing in Adelaide at the moment confirmed that this is true and that there is TONS of work for mental health nurses.

I know it is a risk but i definately believe what I have heard and as i say we will be moving out in August.

Hope this helps

Laura xx

Thanks so much Laura - that is really useful feedback! I can see that they recruit heavily for casual staff. Just nerve wracking to go over with kids in tow if no job offer on the table. It's good to have the feedback from your friend 'on the ground'. Are you going state sponsorship instead or employer sponsorship?

I definitely know what you mean about going over without a perm job but I think sometimes you have to just take the leap. I said I would never do agency work but now I am really looking forward to it. My friend does 4 on 6 off which gives her time to enjoy Australia :) Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but if it works i think agency is a good thing.

The agency I am with have been really good so far and unlike others they are actually Australia based. If you like I can give you their details so you can contact them. It might make you feel a bit better to speak with them and maybe get some reassurance. Adelaide looks like an amazing place, it would be a shame to give up on it because of the job situation.

we are going SS how about you guys? x

Thanks so much - yes do please send me details. Happy to be pm'd! we have been planning to go via a employer sponsorship on 457. Sydney is the other option and we do have family there, both have stayed there in the past but am a bit worried about the cost of living there. Its my Oh who is the RMN and he has an interview with an agency in Dec re work in Sydney. so for us it all depends on what offers come up etc. Adelaide really appeals though as a much more manageable pace, beautiful and with plenty enough for us to enjoy. Would love to chat with the agency you are using too. Good for you taking the leap of faith! We haven't really looked at state sponsorship as the advice has been to go for 457 but we'll check it out and see how feasible it it. Thanks so much for feedback. x

In your experience/research Laura - are Hosps in SA not keen to take people on employer sposorships? Prefering instead for you to have a state sponsorship/pr instead? OH has sent his expression of interest to the SA Health contacts and as Alli suggest we will see if we can send directly to hosps too. OH definately not keen to go out without a job. we had for the sake of sanity tried to stick with just one state NWS but cant help but keep Adelaide/SA in the loop as it appeals so much to us both. As always thanks for any advice. x

Have you tried posting about this on Poms in Adelaide. Most of the people over there don't bother posting on here but I'm pretty sure there are a fair few nurses on the forum and I'm fairly sure a lot of them were employer sponsered.

yes will do thanks NicF. We have been trying to keep our focus just on NSW as we were getting a wee bit overwhelmed so many options/states in OZ - but I cant help but think it a good idea to keep our options/ideas open.

Hi

yeah a good idea to keep your options open we came to SA not been good for us, we knew people but it doesn't make a difference for employment depending what they do though, we are not nurses but there are alot of nurses that come to SA, teachers too.

so make sure you really do alot of research on states before you come out. Most people 'than not' including people who emigrated years ago have questioned us why we chose SA (Adelaide) Mmm

Archived