Poverty in Oz

VERYSTORMY

I guess when you emigrate it costs you - a lot. We all know that and also some are less successful than others in finding employment and housing.Many of us came with nothing and it can take several years to build up to the standards of an Aussie born person who has always worked here. Mostly migrants have no family members to rely on for things like childcare, so they have to pay.

I don't have much belief in the idea of Australian poverty. Not in cities anyway (I know very little about rural/remote living). I work in mental health and my clients are generally long-term unemployed and often from families of inter-generational welfare dependency. The people you would think of as being poor in our society. I would say that most are pretty comfortable. I'm no longer surprised to hear about the ipads, wiis, blue-ray players and trampolines in back garden. Things my own child doesn't have. Many are supporting an expensive addiction and I don't think I have a single client who hasn't whipped out a smart phone at some point.

Some people are genuinely doing it tough but many are classified as 'poor' but are doing very nicely through cash in hand work whilst claiming welfare benefits.

This probably sounds very right-wing - which politically I'm not - but it's just the reality I see each time I go to work. So any sort of comparison with poverty in a developing national is a joke. Santa will have a lot of deliveries to make in our most disadvantaged communities this Christmas. I'd bet my salary on it.

We likv in a nice beach suburb of Adelaide. I see people weekly going through the bins collecting bottles and cans. I have found people going through my recycling looking for bottles and cans ( to claim the 10 cents ) I assume. Generally these are older people.....

I have lived in several Capitals as well as in regional areas and know that someone living in one of the regional areas (that I have lived in) can stretch their money a lot further than someone on the same income in a Capital. With this in mind I can't help wondering if where people live comes into play as much (or potentially more) than income.

For instance - My in-laws rely on the old age pension but manage to save and go on holidays (not overseas but certainly all over Aust) each year, but they live on the NSW South Coast rather than in, or close to, a Capital city.

I really think the people doing it the toughest are those who are working, have children, live in a Capital but earn just enough not to qualify for health care cards and lots of hand outs.

There is a definite underclass in Aus society, most people don't notice them.

Mainly the elderly, for whom life can be pretty tough.

We likv in a nice beach suburb of Adelaide. I see people weekly going through the bins collecting bottles and cans. I have found people going through my recycling looking for bottles and cans ( to claim the 10 cents ) I assume. Generally these are older people.....

Agreed. Tougher for the elderly and other groups who are on a limited fixed income over a long period of time.

Archived