Granted WHV!

dannymonaghan

Alright guys just been granted my working holiday visa :biggrin:. A friend and I are planning on heading out around May from Glasgow , just like to ask how much is a good amount to go with ? Have a figure of £5000 which we hope to get. We both plan on working and both have trades ( me - panel beater , mate - plumber ) and also plan to get the 3 month seasonal done as quickly as possible when we arrive. We looked at flying into Perth as we have another mate living there at the moment but are pretty open to suggestions , most likely will stay in hostels to begin with we're thinking that will be the easiest way of getting our heads down when we arrive and meeting new people in the same boat. Anybody else heading out around that time ?

Cheers.

Danny.

Hiya mate, I'm almost in the same boat as you. Got my visa granted and planning on flying out to Perth at the end of February. Haven't got a clue if that is the best thing to do though so don't want to rush into booking a flight. My plan is to land in Perth & maybe stay there for a couple of months & then head north as winter kicks in, probably end up in Cairns for the winter. I am planning on taking around 5k too. Are you planning on staying in Perth long term or travelling? I would also like to do the 3 months seasonal work but I don't know if my plan will allow this, there's so much to think of! What was your long term plans?

Den

Hey there, niceone getting some plans together and heading to Aus! I think a lot of people (me included until next week) keep putting off the idea of going travelling and working away, even though they think its a good idea!

Im flying to Brisbane on 22nd, and im gonna be taking just over £5k, but i know im getting a tax rebate of about £650, although im not including that. Im also doing the same as you and staying in a hostel to being with for the first week, although i might look into a flatshare afterwards as it may well be cheaper and safer!

Anyways, keep us updated and have fun!

As soon so you find work you'll be ok. I spent around $330 on 2 weeks hostel and then probably $400 on 2 weeks food and booze (booze is expensive) $30 on a sim card, $89 for mobile internet, Ended up spending $120 on chef whites as I needed them for work. But I'd say you could probably get by on $250 a week if you're not drinking too much with accomodation and food. If you're working 20hours a week you'll be making about 250 a week, you get paid weekly so it makes it a bit tricky to save!

• 2 weeks later...

I think 5k is a perfect amount, my boyfriend has just had his second working holiday visa granted and I will be putting my WH visa in tomorrow. :) He went out the first year with 3K, worked after being there for 3 weeks and always had enough money! cost of living is high but wages are higher than here too. I hope to take about 5K myself when we head out in June to sydney!Good luck and have a great time!