Any advice on finding sponsored civil engineering roles please?

bellebellec

Hi all, we are relative newbies to PIO but we have sold our house and just moved into temp accomodation ready to sort out moving to Australia!! Just wondered if anyone could give us any tips on places to look for sponsored civil engineering roles? Have tried scouring the web via google, seek etc and applied for various positions, but feel we are missing something as we know there are plenty of opportunities!!!

Any engineers out there who have recently sourced a role like this, would you be able to advise us? We would prefer to head to Queensland but will go anywhere and consider FIFO

Thanks guys!

Google to find the websites of the big construction companies in that state. Send in a CV and covering letter even if they aren't advertising the job you are after. New projects start on a regular basis and your CV might arrive just as they need staff or might just land on the right desk. Phone someone in HR and also someone in operations. It's worth having a contact at each company and it might make a difference that you know someone's name and can email your CV directly to them.

If you are already in construction in the UK, do you know of others who have moved here? If so, track them down (LinkedIn) and get in touch. They might be able to give you contacts. A lot of the time it's a question of luck just contacting the right person at the right time, rather than just applying for advertised jobs. Try and find the name of a construction industry head-hunter in the State you are looking at and have a chat with them. They will have lots of contacts. They we be keen to help you out as they will get a commission if they place you in a job.

Hi all

Thanks very much for the advice & bumps. Frogian - we are in touch with konnecting but will contant the others thanks!, Now Perth - thanks for your advice as well, yes we have contacted a number of contractors & consultancies as my husband has experience in both. We are also working via linked in, although I dont think we have that at max use!! and yes we have friends in Australia trying to help as well. I think one of the issues is that my husbands experience is in water engineering, which seems to have many advertised roles but not prepared to sponsor. We have spoken to visa agents and know we would be acceptable for perm visas but wanted to go out on a 4 yr 457 initially, plus visa agents agree we probably could avoid the cost. As we are not in huge hurry to leave, want to be over & settled by June next year, we will press on with contacting people & see what happens!

Thanks again for everyones help

Happy to help!

Am looking for something new myself at the mo ‘cos, although I enjoy what I’m doing currently, at the end of the day in my eyes it’s just a 'job' to earn some cash, not a career / what I am used to - what I do now is WAY out of my usual field of expertise ……but that's just a function of where I choose to live.

I’m the complete opposite to your hubby..........I’m into fire engineering :wink:

Guest katie007
Hi all, we are relative newbies to PIO but we have sold our house and just moved into temp accomodation ready to sort out moving to Australia!! Just wondered if anyone could give us any tips on places to look for sponsored civil engineering roles? Have tried scouring the web via google, seek etc and applied for various positions, but feel we are missing something as we know there are plenty of opportunities!!!

Any engineers out there who have recently sourced a role like this, would you be able to advise us? We would prefer to head to Queensland but will go anywhere and consider FIFO

Thanks guys!

Many placements are now gained within LinkedIn within your skills-sets, so if you have an account, ask within, if not look into it.

Various currently he is lead design engineer working on water supply of a new nuclear reactor - I think the scheme is around £4.5 million, he is currently seconded into WS Atkins water design consultancy but he actually works for a large uk water company. Has been with them for last 12 years in various design and construction engineering roles (ie project management) on potable water and waste water sewerage schemes. Also has water pipeline experience and treatment package plant. Has 12 years civil engineering in total but was only qualified to HND level, has been completing last part of his degree on a part time basis. Hence why we havent moved before now - wanted to go with full degree status - although has been in fully qualified roles in UK for 8 years.

In WA try R J Vincent, Brierty, Ertech, John Holland, Main Roads, BOCOL, Georgio, Cossil & Webley. I work in the industry but I'm pretty new to it myself and in a HSE Role. Linkedin is an excellent tool. I have recruitment consultants contacting me all the time. Just add anybody in your industry, groups, location, I know they say not to but its a godo way of accessing the network you want.

Archived