Remembering Oz !!!

gilliantay

Thought I was finished with PIO as I felt no real need to log on any more - truth be told, I frequently visit the site without logging on and sit at the computer going through a whole heap of emotions (laughter mostly) as I read some of the threads.

My sister has just spent a few weeks visiting us back in the Old Country and it has stirred up lots of emotions - I was quite sad to see her leave to go back to Oz.

It got me thinking as to why the move to Oz has been so successful for her and others like her whereas, although I do not feel that I failed, why was I so adamant about returning to Scotland ?...........

Of course, she moved as a 'whole' family unit - accompanied by her husband and 2 sons. I had to leave 3 children behind (no longer dependent) and I feel that when all is said and done, this was most likely the real reason for me returning as when grandchildren are thrown into the mix, it became so difficult (for me) to be living so far away.

My grand daughter who was born when I was in Australia is now 2, my second grand child is due in 7 weeks and I have just found out that a third grandchild is due next year.......................

Are there any of you who have moved over to Oz (and are still there after 2 years) who have left their kids and grand kids in the UK ?

How do you cope and do you feel selfish ?

My OH is continually asking to go back, but I feel it would be for all the wrong reasons ........... I would give myself 6 months and I would be busting a gut to get back to Scotland again..........................

Oh what a tangled web we weave.................................

PS, I am perfectly happy back here but I now know how my OH felt when I was the one in Oz who was pushing for a move back to Scotland.

Have not really explained my self properly but answers on a postcard please........................................................................................................................................

Are there any of you who have moved over to Oz (and are still there after 2 years) who have left their kids and grand kids in the UK ?

How do you cope and do you feel selfish ?

Welcome back hen.

I left 3 grown sons and 6 grandchildren and brought two much younger sons with me to Oz.

Nope, I never felt selfish at all. My older boys were in the forces (all from the age of 16) and I saw very little of them anyway, except when they were on leave. Strangely enough, one of my sons is now divorced and remarried and my ex daughter-in-law lives just a couple of houses away. They were going to emigrate when they were married, but on divorce, he stayed in the UK and she continued with the visa process. The upside is, their two kids have now decided to live with her, (they don't like dad's new partner), so I have two grandkids, who I rarely saw, one who has returned to the Uk to finish Uni and will be coming back to work at australia Zoo in July, and one whom I see almost every day.

I left 3 grown sons and 6 grandchildren and brought two much younger sons with me to Oz.

I think it is me who has a major problem in the respect that I "FEEL" that I should be here with them............................I think I should sit down with them and actually ask them how they felt when I WAS away and how they would feel if the day came when I DECIDED to maybe go back again !!

Archived