457 versus PR......

millers

Hi, just wanted to know the benefits of getting pr.My friend told me that you can claim child benefit and reduced costs in child care. Is there anything else which we can get what we can't on a 457?

Thanks

The fact that if you lose your job you don't have 28 days to get another job or leave Australia.

Guest Will Low

But 457 is so much quicker ( ours was 8 days ) to get a 457 then apply for pr once over there. You have 4 years to do so, then go for citizenship if wanted.

But 457 is so much quicker ( ours was 8 days ) to get a 457 then apply for pr once over there. You have 4 years to do so, then go for citizenship if wanted.

Yeah but you can only apply for PR if you meet the criteria, even on 457 loads of people still don't.

(1) First Home owners grant

(2) Baby Bonus

(3) Centrelink payments (after 2 years)

(4) LAFHA (if you are living away from your main home)

(5) no school fees in NSW or ACT

(6) Childcare rebates

(7) Family assistance

Thanks for the list

LAFHA we have had stopped now as were on a 457 here in Queensland. So even if were still away from the UK we can't get it anymore now????

Is the family assistance means tested?

Childcare rebates- how is that worked out ? is it different for everyone depending on circumstances?

Home owner grant- how does that work ?

:arghh:

It may be quicker but 4 year visa doesn't guarantee 4 year job. My cousin has been over for 12 weeks and has lost her job and is now scrambling around to find another or ship out. Massive gamble.

Thanks for the list

LAFHA we have had stopped now as were on a 457 here in Queensland. So even if were still away from the UK we can't get it anymore now????

Is the family assistance means tested?

Childcare rebates- how is that worked out ? is it different for everyone depending on circumstances?

Home owner grant- how does that work ?

:arghh:

Can't comment on the LAFHA, although I beleive the rules have been toughened up so you can only claim if you ar genuinely living away from home (ie live in Perth but work in Melbourne on a temporary basis), or it could have been abolished altogether ,Ii'm not sure.

The famly assitance and childcare rebate are both means tested but you can still get some assistance with a household income of right up to something like $150k a year. There is loads on information and a calculator on the centrelink website here

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/centrelink-online-services.

I think the first home owner grant varies from state to state, but it's basically money they give to first home buyers to help them buy a home. Here in South Australia there are various grants but they have just changed them so that they are mostly payable if you buy a brand new house and not an existing one. They apply to anyone who hasn't previously bought a house in Australia, regardless of whether you owned property in another country.

Assuming you and your employer remain eligible, and your sponsor is willing to sponsor you - you can apply for PR after 2 years of a 457.

You can also apply for other PR options at anytime if you can meet the selection criteria.

Yeah but you can only apply for PR if you meet the criteria, even on 457 loads of people still don't.

True, although it is worth checking the recent July 2012 "transitional stream" for 457 holders which has for some criteria made this a little easier.

The only problem with this is if you loose your job and have a certain time to find another. Also what if a health issue comes up and you will now fail?

If you can get PR first time around I would recommend it first.

True, although it is worth checking the recent July 2012 "transitional stream" for 457 holders which has for some criteria made this a little easier.

2 Year Transitional stream is only good if the Employer is going to sponsor you for ENS PR, which is fair enough.

You also have to consider that

a) Not all employers are willing to sponsor for ENS.

b) Not all employers are able to sponsor for ENS

c) Some employers promise the world but don't follow through.

PR = Pretty much what it says on the tin (well 5 years at least)

457 = Defnitely not a cast Iron gaureentee, sometimes you have to just accept you are living month to month.

457 is just a work permit and should be seen as such. Which is fine for people like me who are just here to do a job but with no intent to emigrate. It's when it gets used/sold as an easy way to migrate permanently that raises eyebrows - that's not the intent of the visa, it is a Business (long stay) visa, exactly as it says on the tin

I came over on 457 visa and was sponsored for PR. Unfortunately didn't qualify for PR at the time of application so took the risk. Wouldn't advise it now - job market very shaky. Only come over on 457 if there is no alternative and if you are able to up sticks and go home at 28 days notice. Personally I think conditions for 457 stink.

We arrived in December on a 457, complete with baby, dogs and all of our belongings. The 457 was great to get us here in that my husbands company helped with the moving costs but there was always that nagging feeling that if he did lose his job then we would have 28 days to sort something or have to go back. We were granted our PR last week and are over the moon - it gives us peace of mind which is worth more to us than the other benefits that people have already mentioned.

One thing that is worth considering is the Medicare arrangements - we didn't take out private heatlh insurance when we got here as we knew that we were going to try for another baby and unless we paid an absolute fortune the policies wouldn't cover pregnancy costs for 12 months. I'm 27 weeks pregnant now and have found getting midwife appointments a nightmare up until now as I could only see certain doctors at certain times due to the fact we were listed as visitors rather than residents. As this is our second baby it hasn't worried me but I would imagine that if it was the first I'd be a neurotic mess (like I was the first time around!)

Hi all, I'm on a 457 visa and am wondering how much it costs to become PR after 2 years....my boss is willing to sponsor me......also after becoming PR are you entitled for the benefits of being a PR straight away?

I would agree with other posters that the 457 is very restrictive and I would not have come over for the money I am getting paid I would have asked for at least another 20k ontop as childcare is so expensive so defeats the object of my wife working.

I am happy living here but am finding finaces as tight as....

ginger

Guest katie007
Hi all, I'm on a 457 visa and am wondering how much it costs to become PR after 2 years....my boss is willing to sponsor me......also after becoming PR are you entitled for the benefits of being a PR straight away?

I would agree with other posters that the 457 is very restrictive and I would not have come over for the money I am getting paid I would have asked for at least another 20k ontop as childcare is so expensive so defeats the object of my wife working.

I am happy living here but am finding finaces as tight as....

ginger

Is your 457 Employer Sponsored Visa Post or pre 1st July 2012 law alterations?

As if memory serves me right the 2 year is only post issued visas but could be wrong.

I did see a chart on this on the DIAC website explaining all this plus it was ages caped to 50 up from 45

We've been here just over a year so it's pre 1st July 2012.

Was ok whilst receiving LAFHA but since the removal it has got really hard, not even sure we want PR but feel forced to go for it just to get some extra cash in and to reduce childcare costs etc.... so we can see if we can make a proper life here.

I read that the PR visa will cost in excess of $3k but when I came over I was told it would cost me about $250 plus medicals and bits...

ginger

Guest katie007
We've been here just over a year so it's pre 1st July 2012.

Was ok whilst receiving LAFHA but since the removal it has got really hard, not even sure we want PR but feel forced to go for it just to get some extra cash in and to reduce childcare costs etc.... so we can see if we can make a proper life here.

I read that the PR visa will cost in excess of $3k but when I came over I was told it would cost me about $250 plus medicals and bits...

ginger

Will try to locate the DIAC graph for you give me a few days.

not sure on the fees as today they will most alter thanks to Mr Swan new mini announced fee hikes and the Boat people placing massive strain on Border Control.

Yes the LAFHA has eaten to a lot of pockets.

Guest katie007

This explains the PR from 457 Status:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/perm-sponsored-reforms.pdf

Within each of these visa subclasses there will be three streams:

 The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa

holders who have worked for their employer for at least the last two

years and the employer wants to offer them a permanent position in

that same occupation.

 The Direct Entry stream is for applicants who are untested in the

Australian labour market and have not held a subclass 457 for at least

the last two years or are applying directly from outside Australia.

 The Agreement stream is for applicants who are being sponsored by

an employer through a highly scrutinised and negotiated labour

agreement or regional migration agreement.

An employer or visa applicant will need to meet the requirements of the

particular stream.

Guest katie007
Thanks for that.

Hopefully someone will come along with the costs soon also....I hope they aren't going to raise the costs too much.

ginger

New Fees not into effect till 1st Jan 2013 !!!!!!!

Press Report.

The Australian government will substantially increase charges across a range of visas, it has been announced.

Detailing the mid-year economic and fiscal outlook (MYEFO), Treasurer Wayne Swan has announced that the hiked fees are intended to bring in an extra $143m this financial year.

That target is to rise as high as $169m for 2015–16.

The government has confirmed visa charges will rise as follows:

• 457 visa visas from $350 to around $455

• Working holiday visas will increase from $280 to around $360

• Partner visas (onshore subclass 801 and 820) up from $3,060 to around $4,000

• Partner visas (offshore subclass 309 and 300 up from $2,060 to around $2,700

The new charges take effect from 1 January 2013.

The charges represent an increase of between 25 to 33 per cent.

Working holiday visas and 457 visas are among the two main working visas used by Irish nationals to come to Australia.

The charges are contained in a package of spending cuts and extra charges worth a projected $16bn over four years.

Acting immigration Senator Kate Lundy said the government made a targeted increase in the cost of visas where there are high levels of demand.

“The fact is that there are plenty of people around the world who want to work in Australia because of our substantial economic strengths during these times of global economic uncertainty – it is only appropriate for visa costs to reflect that demand,” senator Lundy said.

“Most of these increases are for visas that provide valuable opportunities for people to work in Australia, whether it’s through the 457 programme, working holiday visas or the sought-after work rights for skilled graduates. We don’t, therefore, expect demand to be adversely affected by these changes,” she said.

Announcing MYEFO – often dubbed a mini-budget – Mr Swan said he was cutting the nation’s forecast budget surplus to $1.1bn, down from $1.5bn.

In a statement, he said: “Global growth has slowed in recent months, with the recession in the euro area and the subdued recovery in the United States weighing on growth in our region.

“The weaker global outlook and lower than expected commodity prices, along with the general easing of price pressures in the economy, are again slowing the recovery in tax revenue.

“This is driving a further write-down in tax receipts of almost $22bn over the forward estimates, almost all from company tax and resource rent taxes, with a write-down of $4bn in 2012-13 alone.

“Since the start of the Global Financial Crisis, tax receipts have been written down by a total of almost $160bn.

Mr Swan described the decisions taken in the MYEFO as “difficult but critical at a time of falling revenues and ongoing global headwinds”.

Thanks for that.

Hopefully someone will come along with the costs soon also....I hope they aren't going to raise the costs too much.

ginger

Hi Ginger

The current fee for the Transitional to PR is the same as the direct route visas AU$ 3060

From what I have heard it doesn't sound as if this one is to be increased in Jan 2013 - (hopefully not).

Tee

Thanks for that......it's alot more expensive than I thought. Guess unless the boss pays I'll be going back to good old Hull.....just feels at the moment everything we try to do to make life easier has the opposite effect.

ginger

Archived