A different / new job

Georgiajoe

Hi all,

We are arriving in perth at the end of January. I am and have been a plumber in the uk all my working life ( 24 years ) .

I've got a 176 pr visa and went through vetasses and have got my level 3 overseas provincial plumbers licence.

my main worry/ concern about our move is work.

in the uk I've been very lucky running my own plumbing business with work finding me ( don't advertise) .

i read / hear all these horror stories about uk plumbers not being able to find a plumbing job in Australia .

if I couldn't work as a plumber has anyone any suggestions of a different line of work I could do to support a family of 5.

i looked into being a postie but on $ 19-22 / hr I wouldn't be able to provide for everyone.

my wife who is a level 5 child minder will work once she has her licence .

Any suggestions would be appreciated as the worry is taking the shine off our move

many thanks

ian

Open up a corner shop they don't have many of those here! On a more serious note i am sure you will get a plumbing job but it wont be easy with getting your license and it will drive you to the brink. Just make sure you apply for your restricted license before you leave otherwise you will wait a while to receive it.

Open up a corner shop they don't have many of those here! On a more serious note i am sure you will get a plumbing job but it wont be easy with getting your license and it will drive you to the brink. Just make sure you apply for your restricted license before you leave otherwise you will wait a while to receive it.

Thanks for the reply.

do you mean apply or plumbing licence while still in uk.

i had an e mail back from the wa plumbers licensing board stating they would need to be in WA to apply.

ill give it a go

regards

ian

I applied for my electrical license before i left the UK and it was posted to me there. Maybe its different for plumbers but it might be worth a try as waiting 4 weeks before you can really apply for jobs is a pain

Nice one , how did you pay or it ???

ian

Guest scrumpy

Im in exactly same boat as you, in Devon , ran plumbing business 20+ years and if Im going for a change I want a change. but what to do is the problem???

But Im guessing there will be tha same prob as here in UK, which is, what else can you do that pays enough?

Im in exactly same boat as you, in Devon , ran plumbing business 20+ years and if Im going for a change I want a change. but what to do is the problem???

But Im guessing there will be tha same prob as here in UK, which is, what else can you do that pays enough?

Hi mate,

where abouts in devon are you.

im in Cullompton ( that's why we're emergrating )!!!!!

im very happy being a plumber , it's just all the horror stories I keep reading

cheers

ian

Guest scrumpy
Hi mate,

where abouts in devon are you.

im in Cullompton ( that's why we're emergrating )!!!!!

im very happy being a plumber , it's just all the horror stories I keep reading

cheers

ian

Near Roadford Lake, between Okehampton and Lifton

Horror stories in Collumpton? Im not into the broken Britain stuff as in my little world all is good, Im just up for an adventure and a change

Near Roadford Lake, between Okehampton and Lifton

Horror stories in Collumpton? Im not into the broken Britain stuff as in my little world all is good, Im just up for an adventure and a change

Not horror stories , just town has gone to the dumps .

alot of Eastern Europeans in town , creating a bad atmosphere with locals , they ( most of them ) want trouble and don't try to connect with the British.

on the work front it's really busy, that's what's worrying me about the move , it's taking the shine off of things .

cheers

ian

My Oh is going to be in a similar position. He is a gas and heating engineer here (gas fitter in Aus) and from our research, we think he may need to change career. The problem is, in Australia, you seem to need to get formal quals in everything rather than on the job training.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

I have my vetasses practical on 8/12/12 and wondered if you had any info in the sprinkler systems and septic tanks that apparently they test you on, as i have never done either of them.....i have been reading your latest posts about work concerns and i although you are a lot further into the move than me i hope to be in your position soon and this job situation has worried me from the start and still is a major concern......I have a friend who moved to Perth in August and he says work is plentiful there but you do not actually know until you get there.........i think you would be wise to try and rent your house out here and rent there, i have heard a couple of horror stories whereby people have totally cut there ties with the UK and things have not worked out in Oz and they are not able to buy back into the UK.....now that is not a nice position to be in is it.......if i get through this practical and then the subsequent state sponsorship and visa application i would be renting my house out here and renting in WA.........It is all so daunting and a big step but your posts have been nothing but informative and confident, the nearer it gets the more it is worrying,i shall ask my friend who is in Baldivis if he has any contacts for you if you would like me to, then he could sort you then when i get there you can sort me........

Hi Ian,

I have my vetasses practical on 8/12/12 and wondered if you had any info in the sprinkler systems and septic tanks that apparently they test you on, as i have never done either of them.....i have been reading your latest posts about work concerns and i although you are a lot further into the move than me i hope to be in your position soon and this job situation has worried me from the start and still is a major concern......I have a friend who moved to Perth in August and he says work is plentiful there but you do not actually know until you get there.........i think you would be wise to try and rent your house out here and rent there, i have heard a couple of horror stories whereby people have totally cut there ties with the UK and things have not worked out in Oz and they are not able to buy back into the UK.....now that is not a nice position to be in is it.......if i get through this practical and then the subsequent state sponsorship and visa application i would be renting my house out here and renting in WA.........It is all so daunting and a big step but your posts have been nothing but informative and confident, the nearer it gets the more it is worrying,i shall ask my friend who is in Baldivis if he has any contacts for you if you would like me to, then he could sort you then when i get there you can sort me........

Hi mate,

Don't lose any sleep about the assessment , if your a plumber it's a breeze .

regarding the septic tanks , I had a leaflet that I downloaded from the wa plumbers site ( I think I deleted it) ill try and re find it and send it across ( pm me your e mail address )

Just tell them how they work, also with the sprinkler systems all they need to know is that there's are different coloured bulbs for different breakage temperatures ( I googled it )

i got a level 1 paperwork pass so he flicked through 80 % of the questions and ticked the boxes. The answers that your not ure about are underneath the questions , he seems to leave his arm so the answers are exposed .

as I said, you'll walk it, don't worry . Afterwards you'll be thinking what a waste of Money that day was !!!

good luck

ian

Archived