Camping hints and tip for a new Camper:)

Eng32

Definitely agree with Bobj on the shedding of branches from some gums - when I was a kid we were at a restaurant car park and a branch dropped right next to me. Never been so bloody scared in my life!!!!!

When buying the camp stoves, make sure you're not buying 5 or more at the same time - particularly not if you're also buying coffee filters. You'll look like a drug dealer and may get some additional attention!

For your first time camping I'd definitely go for an organised park with facilities rather than be out bush by yourselves - makes all the difference knowing help is at hand should you need it! The other equipment I'd recommend is mozzie coils and insect repellent - and milk powder :) It might not taste as good as the real thing, but if it's needed..... (Plus if you've got a bit of flour too then you can make damper in the Dutch oven - yum!)

I remember seeing a family (2 adults, 2 kids) arrive next to our spot in Scotland (Loch Lomond) in an old mini with a roof box. It was incredible to see how much stuff they managed to fit in :)

Seeing as you're in Qld...............Some love their comfort and will disagree with me here but.................summer storms................they sweep through and in the space of an hour, can trash everything, in particular, large tents. The bigger the tent, the more wind it catches. tents used to be for sleeping in, not living in, and you should be horizontal when sleeping so why the need for a huge "stand up" tent? We've lost count of the number of times that we've seen all around us cleaning up after a storm whilst all we had to do was tighten the tarp.

We went for a big tent but after our first two trips, reverted back to the old Vango Force ten Mk 4 to sleep in, and just a tarp to sit under during the day. That tent finally gave up the ghost after 35yrs (we shipped it out with us) so we googled Vango and found a supplier in Oz (ridiculous prices) and were gobsmaked to find they no longer made the force ten which used to be the main sight at Everest base camps. We bought a newer nylon model and after more than 20 summer storms, we have never had it flattened. When we see a storm coming, all clothes get bundled into the vango and we batten down the tarp..............springs on the guys are essential.

Steer clear of fibre glass poles.............nearly all the tents that we've seen decimated ended up ripped due to poles snapping with the wind pressure against them, and the poles ripping through the tents.

If you're going to camp frequently (we camped every alternat weekend) then sooner or later you will encounter these afternoon storms and remember what I said, particularly if you have a large tent with fibreglass or composite poles...............tents are for sleeping in, tarps are for sitting under...............and you only need a tarp big enough to keep you out of the sun...............the bigger the tarp, the more the grief. Also, make up some "sides" for the tarp so the sun doesn't creep under as it drops lower in the sky.

kev

depends a lot on where you are going (bush, beach, caravan park, mountains etc), how long for, how many sites, how long you are staying at each one, who is going (just 2 of you or kids too), if you are planning to eat out etc.

Just some simple items off the top of my head, which I sometimes overlook;

bin bags

wipes

tissues

water bottles

torches

suncream

sun hats

matches

lighter

spare gas

body towel

dish towel

margerine

tomatoe sauce

milk

bread

These days I normally go for 1 night with my kids (it's all I can get), in any weather (it's been hail, rain and down to 0deg last 2 weekends), so we have a solid metal trailer with a pop-up roof with most stuff already set-up inside for speed and convenience. Still adding bits to it, but got it pretty well setup now, with 3x120w solar panels to power the fridge and lighting (powers the house lighting and TV when at home). We're going to Torquay for 4 nights at Xmas, the 4 of us.

Archived