Any Electricians in Victoria Please?

Fowler Family

Hi

My OH has been sponsored by Victoria as an electrician.

We understand that he will only be able to have a 'restricted license' for the first 12 months.

Firstly can we get this before we go to speed things up?

Secondly, we have understood that he will have to go to college and work supervised for 12 months before he can get a grade A license and get paid as a fully qualified electrician. However there is a course in SA whereby you can get your A license after their 2 week course. As it is different in each state, does anyone know if he can do this course and transfer his a license to Victoria?

Long shot I know but if anyone knows anyone that might know the system, we would really appreciate it!!

Thanks all

Hi Selina

So pleased to see your Oh got state sponsorship :biggrin:. They changed the way to get the A licence in WA from 1st July so instead of 2 week = A licence my OH will have to do the gap training for 1 year also . Don't know about SA hopefully someone will be along answer that,

You can apply for the restricted licence before hand and they will post to the UK now aswell, also he can do his White card which I believe is similar to the CSCS card here, lots of people seem to do it through blue dog training.h

hope that helps,and good luck!

Hi there

Myself and my family moved to Victoria in march and it's flown by.anyway just to clarify things. I'm an electrician in the uk energy safe Victoria make it very hard for you to get an A licence I currently have a restricted one and I had to do the veatasses to get my restricted one.

At my son birthday party I got talking to one of the parents and turns out to be the head of electrical at a tafe so I managed to get him to find out what I had to do to get my A licence as I had been told about four different routes by four different organizations it turns out this is what you have to do.

Enrole in a short course at a tafe called the LEA ( which has three parts)

SWP safe working practersises

electrical therory

electrical practical

Once you have completed the course you have to sit three exams and once passed take it to energy safe Victoria and you will be given an unrestricted licence

Pleasenote the 12 months experience is for gaining REC not the A licence the REC is your registered electrical company number which is also another course which allows you to trade for yourself

All of this information is as I have said from a guy in the know.Also they won't accept the SA A licence they have got smart to that as it was something I was looking into. Unfortunately you have chosen the hardest state to gain a licence, but on the plus side with it being very union based its very well paid once you have it and in my opinion it's very easy work compared to the uk

Hope this helps Mark

if your hubby wants to get the full license he must 1st have the OTSR this gives him the opportunity to apply for the restricted electrical license, then he applies to the ARTC for his electrical certificate expect to wait 9 to 10 weeks for the ARTC that's done in SA then posted to you in the state your in i presume your in Victoria: once he has the TRA he can then book onto a course at the Tafe (College) for the Pre Electrical A class exams in the area you live in its normal to do the course in the evenings x 14 1 night per week x 12 weeks or he may be able to do a full 5 to 7 days all day course, you shall have to enquire at the Tafe. once he has completed that course he can book the state electrical exams by EPIC training that's a mix of three courses & very full on so the pre course is a real must. once he has completed the EPIC state courses he applies to Energy safe Victoria for the full A class license this is valid for 5 years when the 5 years is almost up they end you the reminder to renew if you forget you then do all exams again so its important DON'T forget.

its very stressful doing the exams so lots of effort must be put into it all, the SA PEER route cannot be done any more people was abusing the situation & all states are now refusing to accept any licenses from other states, unless you intend to live in SA forget it. He may have to do what's called the log book that's a record of work for 12 months & signed by the supervisor, However that can be completed in 7 weeks if the company are happy with his work then its a simple matter of signing him of & when he has the full license he is then OK.

Arthur in Melbourne

Mark,

sorry to say mate the 12 months has nothing to do with the REC, the 12 months is for the required log book to show the person has the hands on experience. but your also correct in the exams that must be done & again correct when you say the people doing the exams dont help one bit.

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting now this opinion is getting widely accepted that people were "abusing" the system by going for SA license. I understand when Licensing Boards are getting all arrogant about their importance above others, but among colleagues... Do we forget how easy is to be denied Mechanic ARTC, how impossible is to find a job with supervised license, how ridiculous is that you have to finish all immigration process and move to find out that you will be not permitted to work? Fitter/mechanic, maintenance/installation... If Fitter is not fit to do Australian installations, why he can't do maintenance with full license?

And while some people are trying to raise this issue in the right direction - that if you sponsor people to work, you should let them work, while some people are now "returning" their state sponsorship with "thanks, but I don't know what to do with it anymore", on the other side Licensing boards are labeling SA and PEER as "unprofessional", "license shopping", "unsafe"... Can anyone really believe in this BS?

PEER exams are not serious?! What is SWP? I don't even know how to describe SWP, disconnect/reconnect a heater, 3 wires? "Imagine that this switchboard is in another room, not next to the appliance" - On disconnecting 3 wires you have more than 30 points on which you can fail and don't forget to imagine in which room you are every time you need to test if you've got the right CB, and check your tester every time you think of using it, at least 30 times in that 15 minutes... Good that I traveled all the way down here just to play these idiotic games.

No hard feelings though... c'est la vie.

Edited by dunkl

• 1 year later...

Money, Money, Money its a Rich mans world or red tape.

It's interesting now this opinion is getting widely accepted that people were "abusing" the system by going for SA license. I understand when Licensing Boards are getting all arrogant about their importance above others, but among colleagues... Do we forget how easy is to be denied Mechanic ARTC, how impossible is to find a job with supervised license, how ridiculous is that you have to finish all immigration process and move to find out that you will be not permitted to work? Fitter/mechanic, maintenance/installation... If Fitter is not fit to do Australian installations, why he can't do maintenance with full license?

And while some people are trying to raise this issue in the right direction - that if you sponsor people to work, you should let them work, while some people are now "returning" their state sponsorship with "thanks, but I don't know what to do with it anymore", on the other side Licensing boards are labeling SA and PEER as "unprofessional", "license shopping", "unsafe"... Can anyone really believe in this BS?

PEER exams are not serious?! What is SWP? I don't even know how to describe SWP, disconnect/reconnect a heater, 3 wires? "Imagine that this switchboard is in another room, not next to the appliance" - On disconnecting 3 wires you have more than 30 points on which you can fail and don't forget to imagine in which room you are every time you need to test if you've got the right CB, and check your tester every time you think of using it, at least 30 times in that 15 minutes... Good that I traveled all the way down here just to play these idiotic games.

No hard feelings though... c'est la vie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...