CPA-Academic IELTS vs. Migration-General IELTS

Petar Petrovic

Hi guys,

I already wrote about this issue at the following thread, but now I need more specific answer from CPA/ICAA/IPA applicants.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/163290-ielts-academic-general.html

I have one question. My situation is this. I passed Academic IELTS test and I got marks above 7 in all four components which was enough and required for positive Skills assessment (acquired from CPA Australia).

With this score, I can claim 10 points, e.g. for visa subclass 189.

Now, am I allowed to take General IELTS test, and, am I allowed to claim 20 points on English language requirement if I get at least 8 in all four test components .

This way I would have 65 points instead of 55. (I believe it is easier to score 8 on general than on academic...)

This is what DIAC says:

"There are two IELTS tests—an academic test and a general training test. You need to take only the general test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority." (I was actually advised by my assessing authority to take academic test. Now, I am unsure whether DIAC would accept my new general test).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-189/

My question can be rephrased in this way:

I know that DIAC would accept my Academic IELTS, but would it accept my General IELTS (having all written concerns in mind)?

If answer is yes, and if possible, please provide a link where it is written explicitly.

Thank you very much for clarifying this for me.

Yes, you can undertake General test for DIAC even if you had undertaken Academic test earlier for the purpose of skills assessment. And I think its a misconception that General test is easier than Academic. I took Academic in the first time and scored 7. Took General test the second time, but still scored a 7.

@ Rupert

Thanks. I completely understand what you mean. But still, I am worried about this sentence: "You need to take only the general test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority". If you follow this logic, it goes like this: I was advised by my assessing authority to take academic test, therefore I can't take the general test. (I am just trying to challenge the underlined requirement).

Sorry for going too much in detail, but I need to be 100% sure.

@ walkwater

Thanks for info.

• 6 months later...

Hi Petar Petrovic, I am now having the same situation as you as I also have scored 7 in academic but thinking of doing general ielts for DIAC purpose. Did you end up taking another General test - please share your experience :)

Hi Petar Petrovic, I am now having the same situation as you as I also have scored 7 in academic but thinking of doing general ielts for DIAC purpose. Did you end up taking another General test - please share your experience :)

What does it matter what a random on the interned did? This is a very simple decision.

Yes you can take general test for additional points.

Academic is only required for assessment and will have nothing to do with DIAC if you decide not to submit it and submit the General Test.

From my understanding, DIAC will verify your assessment letter from the assessing body and IELTS TRF separately.

Yes you can take general test for additional points.

Academic is only required for assessment and will have nothing to do with DIAC if you decide not to submit it and submit the General Test.

From my understanding, DIAC will verify your assessment letter from the assessing body and IELTS TRF separately.

Great! I also thought so. Thanks for boosting my confidence :)

• 3 months later...

Yes, you can definitely sit the general IELTS if you need more points after you've successfully sat the academic IELTS and got the necessary 7 in all four components. I know about other people on the sister site Perth Poms who went for the general IELTS (after the academic IELTS) because they needed/wanted the 8 in all modules for more points (20 that is.)

Petar, did you take the general IELTS in the end?

Archived