Just collected IELTS Results

elliscg

In my experience IT professionals achieve better than average IELTS results, because they think the way computers think.

Computers are notoriously bad at natural language processing - why do you think you can't just talk to your computer to get it to do what you want?

Following your argument, IT professionals should be much worse at IELTS, if they truly "think the way computers think".

IELTS is produced and administered by people, not computers. The closest a computer would come is for the optical card reader used to scan those parts of the test where you black out the circles, like your candidate number, and test center, for example.

For native english speakers the only issue is over thinking and getting out of sync on the listening. I also found there to be a couple of ambiguous questions in the reading, what was said and what was inferred meant there could be two right answers. Lots of people can't spell so writing could turn into a problem if over complicated!

I got 8.5/8.5/85/9 i think, and also a 30year old IT professional. Hoping to move out to Perth next year.

Majority of the people on this board who are struggling are not native english speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am genuinely pleased for everyone who has got their required marks in the IELTS test, but please spare a thought for those not so successful. My OH is a bright, intelligent man who was born & bred in England with an English education. He left school at 16 and did a YTS in welding and has been a welder now for over 19 years, going back to college for his NVQ level 1 & 2 in welding. Hence unlike alot of people aplying to migrate has not needed to use English day to day. He has taken the IELTS test 4 times now and gets 7s & 8s in all 3 modules except reading in which he gets 6 or 6.5. This can be quite sole destroying but he picks himself up and takes it again. I am so proud of him.

Think the way computers think? What has that got to do with a written test? I am an IT professional, non-native English speaker and I passed on my first attempt. I didn't get 9.0 across the board but I got over 8.0 in everything. Why? I think it's because of my University background - it was just like any Uni exam so I was very familiar with the format and knew what they wanted.

Most trade workers spend years as apprentices and learning on the job so I totally understand if they think the exam is daunting as they might not have sat one or not as many before!

Oh and computers think in binary - 1010101010 which doesn't make much sense.....

There are 10 sorts of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

I agree that there is too much scare-mongering over IELTS. It should not present any literate native English speaker with any issues at all. I also cannot imagine why anyone would be nervous about speaking, writing and answering some questions in their mother tongue. I have done many exams in my life and have experienced exam nerves many times, but not a whiff of nerves on IELTS exam day.

I am surprised you weren't allowed a bathroom break though, I had one during the reading test.

In these circumstances pee on the floor, or whatever.

Computers are notoriously bad at natural language processing - why do you think you can't just talk to your computer to get it to do what you want?

Following your argument, IT professionals should be much worse at IELTS, if they truly "think the way computers think".

IELTS is produced and administered by people, not computers. The closest a computer would come is for the optical card reader used to scan those parts of the test where you black out the circles, like your candidate number, and test center, for example.

If a mathematics script is marked by different examiners the mark will not vary much, similarly for tick a box questions. If an English essay is marked by different examiners the marks are very likely to be very different. Try it and see, write an essay and have two teachers of English mark it independently. A formulaic approach is called for. Who is better at formulaic approaches than programmers? To save you some sleepless nights - the answer is - Registered Migration agents.

Hi all, I am genuinely pleased for everyone who has got their required marks in the IELTS test, but please spare a thought for those not so successful. My OH is a bright, intelligent man who was born & bred in England with an English education. He left school at 16 and did a YTS in welding and has been a welder now for over 19 years, going back to college for his NVQ level 1 & 2 in welding. Hence unlike alot of people aplying to migrate has not needed to use English day to day. He has taken the IELTS test 4 times now and gets 7s & 8s in all 3 modules except reading in which he gets 6 or 6.5. This can be quite sole destroying but he picks himself up and takes it again. I am so proud of him.

I saw from your post you are waiting on a date for a practical? On the Vetassess website they have released a date of 27th October for Welders. - http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/ts_practical_assessment_schedule.cfm

Archived