Rental deposits - Cash, debit or credit card????

Goochie

We are able to accept Credit cards for deposits in the UK however we did have a real difficulty getting the provider to agree. The issue was the extended liability as technically if you pay by credit card and then you stay in the property for three years and then for whatever reason the agent doesn't return your deposit, the CC company might have to cough up the money. I'm not sure how the Aussie letting agents deal with that here.

NWM

We asked about CC but our agent only accepted cash or direct bank transfer. We were able to pay it in two installments though if I recall correctly. We paid half up front then once my company had reimbursed me for our relocation costs I made another direct bank transfer for the other half about a week or 2 later.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to update this threa dnow we're here and have paid our rental deposit (bond).

As stated by others above, no agents will take a bond payment on a credit card. However, if you get yourself a credit card sorted before you arrive (Commonwealth Bank + Job + 176 visa) they can write a cheque for you over the counter and put the balance on your credit card. The interest rate is high though so you'll need to pay it off ASAP.

Guest Lindsay Reynolds

Hi there,

Do you normally have to pay the Bond plus a months rent or do you just pay the bond and then start paying the rent on a weekly basis?

Thanks