Sorry If I'm Repeating...

NTH SHARMAN

Ok, I know this has been done to death - but we are heading to Melbourne for a validating holiday next month and the friends we are staying with have requested Bisto as a means of paying for our board!! How do we take this? Do we pack it in our suitcases or in hand luggage? Do we mention it at check in or when we get to Oz?

I've done a search on past posts, but still not too sure of the correct procedure. :wacko:

Its our first time to Oz and don't want to get it wrong. :policeman:

Thanks in advance of any help.

Tracey, Neil and Haylz xxx :wubclub:

Hi there

Not sure if I am gonna be of much help but we took out loads of Hula Hoops and Walkers crisps for our friends and their parents often take stuff out for them. Just declare on the form you fill in before landing/going through immigration and you should be fine - I think!! am sure someone will confirm later!

Lyn x

Guest The "Biscuits"

Hi Tracy

i haven't been on for a while and noticed your post this morning. Hope you all have a lovely trip next month. Hows everything going?

Debbie

Hi We took marmite for my sister and just put it i the suitcase and didnt mention anything

We also had present wrapped and I thought they may ask us to unwrap them, when we asked they said 'they are present you dont want to unwrap them'

Think you should be fine

Good Luckx

Hi Debbie,

Great to hear from you.

Things are moving slowly for us. We got the Visa in October, but still struggling with the house. It'll do us all good to have a change of scene. The stress is beginning to get to us :arghh: ha ha.

How are things with you??

Neil, Tracey & Hayleigh xx

As long as you declare it as a foodstuff then you will be OK. If you say you have no food and they discover it then you will be fined. You even have to declare things like chocolate - my son forgot that he had put an apple in his backpack for lunch the day he left UK and failed to declare it - $220 fine (but he didnt have any cash and they didnt take credit cards so they just wagged a finger and gave him a warning!) Ironically it was an Aussie Pink Lady apple too.

Hope you have a good time in Melbourne.

Do make sure you declare it whether in packed luggage or hand luggage. The fine is somewhere between 500 and 1000 dollars. I had packed a box of sealed shortbread biscuits and forgot. All luggage was exrayed when we went through customs. We were pulled over and I still adamantly said I didn't have anything - only for them to open the suitcase and find it wrapped up in my husband's shirt. How dodgy did that look! I had packed two weeks before and completely forgot. We got a lecture from the agent who said "you might want to think more carefully before answering in the future - but we'll let you off this time" The people in front of us got a fine and confiscated a bag of peanuts. I was so mortified because I honestly completely forgot. So take it by all means but declare it by all means!!!

Liz

Guest Curlysoo

The best advice given is DECLARE YOU HAVE IT!!! We took allsorts with us (nothing that is banned or illegal I add!) but declared it on the card and when asked stated exactly what we had, they didnt even want us to open our suitcases! But then I DO have an honest face! :wacko:

Yep, we have taken stuff in too, marmite, chocolate, teabags! as long as you remember to declare it, it will be fine.

I am sure ozzy customs think we are all mad :huh:

just make sure that you don't take plants, fruit, nuts or seeds, I am sure there is a list somewhere of stuff that is totally banned

they were very interested in my Dad's golf clubs and golf shoes because of the potential soil contamination

have a great trip, I am sure you will love it:yes:

Do you hail from Sheffield originally?

Yes, left 38 years ago, I used to work at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills [Tinsley] and worked at steelo's on the weekends to get some extra cash, got sent to Wollongong because they needed steelworkers badly, I refused to go at first, but when I saw the place from the top of the mountain, we changed our minds, only worked in the steelworks for 3 weeks then landed a great job building the F6 freeway between the Illawarra & Sydney, the money was 3 times more than the steelworks so things turned out OK.

The hardest thing is the family you leave behind, I got so homesick that I turned to the drink for a while & vowed to return one day, I did in 1990 to visit family, 2 days there sorted me out, couldn't get back here quick enough.

I put some pics on the NSW site [sydney Suburbs] of where we live.

Archived