Our stuff's arrived, and we've gained some!

Guest Sheerluck

Guest Sheerluck

All our worldy goods turned up between Christmas and New Year, finally, courtesy of ********* in the UK and Chess Moving here in Brisbane. It left the UK just before we did at the end of October, arrived in Oz on the 8th December, and then turned up at our door on the 27th December.

And the good news is that we've gained some! It seems that by the powers invested in them, the removers have managed to turn 20 glass sets into 420 piece glass sets, a set of 4 crystal glasses into a 25 piece set, etc.....

The downside is that they all seem to be a little more inconvenient to drink out of - liquids don't seem to stay in them any more and the cuts to lips do hurt.

More good news! Since they've dropped half our belongings, they've also presented us with an opportunity to put in an insurance claim for almost £6000 so that we can go out and buy some some brand spanking new shiny stuff!

So far, the list runs to:

One 42" LCD TV (which I caught one of them dropping in the lounge on delivery)

2 PCs plus one monitor and other PC kit

One american style side-by-side fridge freezer

One dishwasher (exactly how much force does it take to buckle the steel chassis??)

One washing machine

One waterbed (thanks to the careless use of a knife on opening a box)

One expensive oil painting and other smaller framed pictures

Countless bits of glassware and crockery

Have to think positive, otherwise I'd be deeply p****d off....

Guest Curlysoo

So sorry to hear so many things have been damaged!

OUCH! ....makes it even more important we all get our insurance sorted out! :yes:

HI, Yes I would be seriously peed of when you intrust them with your worldy goods and then they destroy them!!

Weird question but what American fridge freezer have you got? Thinking of taking ours too, does yours work now that it has travelled?

Enjoy the spending though!

Regards

Guest Sheerluck
HI, Yes I would be seriously peed of when you intrust them with your worldy goods and then they destroy them!!

Weird question but what American fridge freezer have you got? Thinking of taking ours too, does yours work now that it has travelled?

Enjoy the spending though!

Regards

I'm sure that the spending will be fun, particularly as european style appliances are more expensive than in the UK (moral of the story being check your insurance to ensure that you can insure your items for the higher cost at the other end) = more cash!

It is/was a Samsung side-by-side FF with ice and chilled water, and it does still work, but it is dented (the metal doors have actually been punctured with something) and scratched to hell. We checked with Samsung UK to make sure that it would be man enough for the job out here with the extra heat, and they told us it would be fine.

Guest The.Colebecks

Good grief! What a nightmare for you :wacko:

Please can you PM me with the name of the company you used, I don't want to risk the same thing happening to us!!

Once the shock and anger have subsided, have fun going out and buying all new stuff.

Love

Karen x

Guest Bonnie and Clyde

It does sound terrible but there is always a flip side. You get brand new stuff and good opportunity to check out your new shops - but understand completely your disapointment.

I'd like a PM too with the name - alternatively think up a cryptic clue for us all to guess the company!!

Bonnie and Clyde

Guest jogrant3232

Why can you just not say what company you used? We tell each other what agents we are using so isnt it the same sort of thing??

Guest Sheerluck
Why can you just not say what company you used? We tell each other what agents we are using so isnt it the same sort of thing??

I did, but as you can see in my first post there are a series of asterisks. I'm guessing (and I'm sure that a mod will confirm) that any mention of removalists in a negative context will lead to the name being edited.

Just to give a cryptic clue to the name, it is the name of a symbolic british "lady", whose first name is Rule.....

Hope that helps!

Guest Sheerluck
oh dear!!! Must say though got visions of the waterbed! Did it make a mess! :no:

Ooooooooooooooohh yes.

And no plant hire companies open to go and hire a pump from with it being between Christmas and new year. It was a case of find every plastic bowl/jug that we had and bail like mad.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sheerluck

Well it took 3 months and a long whingeing email to Royal & Sun Alliance's customer complaints inaction department (I particularly liked the bit in the letter that I wrote to them, mentioning "the speed of their responses made a glacier look like an Olympic sprinter by comparison") but finally everything that needed to be replaced has been replaced.

Why do insurance companies make it so difficult? After all they are no real slouch at taking your money so why take so bl**dy long to cough up when it all goes belly up and you want money back?

There were dozens of offers and counter offers. Different emails every day requesting different quotes and information.

Maybe I have an overly simplistic view of how it should work, but surely when it's a case of the removers (who shall remain nameless) deliver broken/damaged stuff and it's marked on the delivery sheet as broken/damaged, we send photographs and a quote off for replacement in line with the insurance proposal form why can someone not look at that in ten minutes flat and say "Yes, that is reasonable". INstead we have to go through the stages in turn: fantastically ridiculous offer, fairly ridiculous offer, ridiculous offer, vaguely reasonable offer, reasonable offer, acceptable offer. Especially when they know that they are only going to annoy the living hell out of their customers.

For one applicance in particular, with a $1000 replacement value, the opening offer was £75! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that! What the hell am I supposed to do with £75? Invest it and hope that in several years time the exchange rate has moved by so much that I can now afford to replace my washer/dryer?

The best part of it was that at first they would only pay in sterling, either by UK bank cheque or to a UK bank account. I'M IN BL**DY AUSTRALIA, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH A UK CHEQUE??? And surely as it was a marine transit insurance policy, it MUST have crossed their tiny little minds at some point that people may be moving to ANOTHER COUNTRY and may not have a UK account any more??

That's it, whinge over. Just a thought though, don't skimp on the insurance. Even though it is a pain in the a***, I really wouldn't advise trying to save a few quid there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edinburgh to Sydney

Hi

I am really sorry to here about all you things.

You have me worrying about it all now as we have gone with the same company.

I have to say I was less than impressed with them on Tuesday when they came to pack all our things. They just did not seem to care they were throwing fragile items in the boxes with out wrapping them in bubble wrap. I had to ask them to take it out and warp them.

They came in a crappy old blue van, and arrived 20 minutes late, I should have known at that point. :arghh:

Thankfully we have taken the top insurance cover so if any thing is damaged then we will get it replaced. (But it sounds like it will be a battle and a half with the insurance company)

:unsure:

Gemma

Guest Sheerluck

Gemma,

I really didn't have a problem with the UK end of the move at all. The main problem (and I don't want to frighten you at all!) seemed to be with the delivery contractors this end. The guys in the UK seemed to pack very well and took good care.

Here though, it was a different story. And yes, the insurance company were awful to deal with!

Dave

sorry guys only just picked back up on this thread,,the asteriks are because the company has requested their name is publisied on this forum,,(make of that what you can,),unfortunately it wont come up via pm either,,sorry its out of hands

Cal x

Archived