clothes to wear in Darwin

Guest toadstool75

Guest toadstool75

Hello,

We will be moving from the UK to Darwin in a few months and have figured that it will be cost effective to buy loads of clothes before we come out. However, we have heard that in Darwin people tend to wear long sleeve t-shirts because of the sun. There are lots of UK summer clothes available at the moment but the t-shirts are almost always short sleeve ones and we do wonder if the shorts available in the UK are simply too thick to take out. So my question would be, what do people wear out and about in Darwin?

Thanks

never seen people wearing long sleeves. they live in shorts,singelets, thongs. or no shoes.... take plenty summer clothes as you will wear them all year round. plenty tshirts you might be changing more than once a day. temp wise its hot about 30 but its the humiditybthats the killer in wet season. dry season is lovely.

Ditto the above. My brief time there it was hot and muggy and all tees and shorts with tee shirt changes during the day. Vest tops, shorts, tees and so on will be handy I reckon.

Defo agree with the other posters, I spent 20 months there, spent the whole time in shorts, vests and flipflops and the kids generally ran around the house in their underwear.

Hello,

We will be moving from the UK to Darwin in a few months and have figured that it will be cost effective to buy loads of clothes before we come out. However, we have heard that in Darwin people tend to wear long sleeve t-shirts because of the sun. There are lots of UK summer clothes available at the moment but the t-shirts are almost always short sleeve ones and we do wonder if the shorts available in the UK are simply too thick to take out. So my question would be, what do people wear out and about in Darwin?

Thanks

You would be boiling in long sleeves. In my experience the Aussies strip off in the sun and use plenty of sunscreen.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've worn long sleeves since I've been here? (nearly 6 months now). T-shirts, more often singlet tops, skirts/shorts, sundresses (nice and cool!). It's starting to get more humid so it'll be hot and sweaty/muggy, possibility of needing to change clothes throughout the day! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest toadstool75

Thanks everyone for the replies. We arrive in Darwin early next week and I have been to Primark and hammered the end of UK summer t-shirt sale and bought lots of open toe shoes. Will be job hunting on arrival so we have to scout around and sound out what people seem to be wearing as office wear! Was thinking about getting a little rain poncho but people seem to be saying that you just get wet and dry off again!

Archived