Moving to WA. Is it possible for a single parent???

travelchic

Hi all.

I am a single mum and am looking to re-locate from UK to Perth area with my little boy who is 5. I chose this area as I have friends in this area (Clarkson, Mullaloo) and feel that i need a support system. I am a nurse and am looking to work full time.

After reading so many posts about the cost of living I am now worried that I will be unable to make ends meet. I will have some money to start us off but would hate for that to run out and have to come home.

I have looked on seek.com for nurse posts and there are loads but none of them advertise a salary and this is important as there will be only one wage. Can anyone tell me what sort of salary i could expect to take home. Being a single parent i will be unable to do nights or weekends. I have a lot of experience in Endoscopy.

I drive in the UK but will only drive in oz if I have to. I also need to take into consideration child care for before and after school.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks.

Deb.

I am not in nursing, but I believe that nurses earn something like $60-70k or thereabouts? I am sure someone can confirm that soon.

I would advise trying to get a permanent visa in your situation, then you would be entitled to thinks like help with childcare rebate and so on.

Nursing salaries are very good in Oz so I think you will be fine cost of living wise. I am also going as a single mum,but my son is 15 so child minding isn't an issue for me. If it were me I would try for some jobs first that offer sponsorship on a 457 visa. The reason I say that is because you will need to be sure first of all that you are not expected to do nights or weekends. If you find something that really suits, then you can go to Australia still apply for your 190 visa while you are there. That way the minute you arrive in Oz you will have a secure starting point.

I know it is daunting but I think you will be fine and I also think it is doable.

best of luck

Millie x

Thanks for your replies. I have considered taking a part time post and making up the time with agency work. My migration agent said that agency work would be my best bet as i can then choose my shifts and therefore avoid nights/weekends. I have seen a few part time posts in a clinic setting which is days. Also, if an Endoscopy post comes up in the meantime, that is usually Mon-Fri days so fingers crossed one will come up.

Does the salaries on the table include super??? Or do i have to deduct the super from the salary.

I appreciate your help.

Guest guest17301

Yes, also working in the public system you will be able to salary sacrifice which is a system that means you pay less tax, I think $9000 a year

Thanks Fiona. I salary sacrifice now. My CAR PARKING CHARGES. Really annoys me having to pay car parking charges at the hospital where i work. And i live about 10 miles away so have no choice.

When my son was younger i used the hospital nursery full time and i used salary sacrifice for that. I ended up being paid about 300 less in my wages so was well worth it.

So if i pay say 400 rent and say 150 child care per week i would still have approx 450 a week for bills and food and maybe have some over for days out and treats. Does that sound about right.

Doesn't bother me being Skint as long as bills are paid. Would rather be Skint in the sunshine instead of being Skint here lol

You should bring in over $2000 a fortnight after tax. I wouldn't advise coming on a temp visa as you wont qualify for family assistance, as a single parent earning under a certain amount you will be able to claim family assistance and childcare costs as a permanent resident http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/themes/families

I didn't think of that. well said Fiona

I am heading out in just under 11 weeks time so a lot to do. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Millie x

Guest guest17301
Thanks Fiona. I salary sacrifice now. My CAR PARKING CHARGES. Really annoys me having to pay car parking charges at the hospital where i work. And i live about 10 miles away so have no choice.

When my son was younger i used the hospital nursery full time and i used salary sacrifice for that. I ended up being paid about 300 less in my wages so was well worth it.

So if i pay say 400 rent and say 150 child care per week i would still have approx 450 a week for bills and food and maybe have some over for days out and treats. Does that sound about right.

Doesn't bother me being Skint as long as bills are paid. Would rather be Skint in the sunshine instead of being Skint here lol

Yes, as long as you have enough to set up initially you will live on your nurses wage...especially if being skint is no new thing! We lived off my level one salary for 6 months and we're a family of four

Guest guest17301

If you're top level 1..ie more than 8 years post grad experience you should clear $2200 a fortnight ish full time.

good luck millie. bet your dead excited. look forward to your coments on life in perth in the first couple of months.

deb.

Heading for Queensland and hopefully up the Sunshine Coast. My visa is regional so I will have to follow the work. Will let you know how things go :-)

Millie x

Thanks Fiona. Not so worried now. I will have 5 years experience by the time i get there. 4 and a half of then in Endoscopy. So will start at the bottom.

Sorry mille. Assumed you were going to Perth. Don't know why. Hope it all goes well for you.

Maybe I'll secure a past time post which will allow me to do agency work in Endoscopy/recovery. That will also allow me more time off during school holidays. My mum want to visit for a couple of months so I'll ask her to come during school holidays to help out.

Thanks to you both. I am optimistic again :-)

Was going to post a similar thread! Glad I'm not the only single mum thinking of taking the plunge. Have family in Perth which will definitely help but the massive increase in housing and cost of living has been scaring me. Even tho I could earn twice what I do here (using the 2.2 calculation) I'm still concerned about making ends meet.

My concern like Fiona is that you don't want shift work. If you work for an agency then you're almost certainly going to have to drive as you'll be asked to work in hosptials all over e.g. you might be based in the north and the shift is in Rockingham for example - so if you say I can only work days and I can only work north of the river than you're limiting your options. With shifts, whilst there is a work life balance agreement - the service comes first and if for example it's a seven day service and you are one of two applicants for the job and can't work the shifts - the job is likely to be offered to the other applicant. The other thing to remember with agency is that whilst your salary may be higher - you don't get sick or holiday pay

Thanks for that Ali. I am sure I'll work something out. I didn't realise that i had the potential to earn so much money so having a car wouldn't be a problem. Just didn't want the expense of a car on top of everything else. But Fiona has advised me on my potential earnings and after adding things up i think I'll be able to afford to run a car. However, i am caring this on the assumption that agency workers receive a little more money like they do in the UK.

Deb.

Ps thanks for your help x

• 1 month later...

HelloI am a single parent of three cgildren aged 15, 9 and 8 and I qualify as a paediatric nurse in March 2013. I am looking into moving to Australia next year and would like to know if I would be able to gain employment as a newly qualified nurse? Also what will the pay be for a newly qualified? I too am a little nervous about making the step on my own with my children, however we will have some money to come over with. Not lots though. So what would the best visa be for me and my children? I have looked into visas and there is a 457 which i think is when you have been offered a job? Ideally i want a job to go to as it scares me the thought of not having a job, and dont want to get all the way there and struggle to get work. I have no family or friends over there so will be on my own re support with everything.I also wondered if anyone could advise on the schooling system in the area? Are the schools of a better standard than in England? Also can anyone reccomend websites to start things moving with jobs, houses, etc. How much would a house cost near to the childrens hospital etc? What are the best areas near to good schools and the hospital, that way i can search those suburbs.Tahnks xThanks in advance for any help provided

Archived