Moving to Melbourne in 20 days - our journey to this point

JBO76

Months in the planning, the start of the next chapter as we move from London to Melbourne is about to begin.

I first started looking at Poms in Oz in the middle of 2010 when a move to Oz was just the beginning of an idea. I quickly worked out that first stop was to sit an English test (had to do the academic one which was no walk in the park), and by Feb 2011 I had submitted the full application online with a PR visa granted by November 2011. A reccie trip to Melbourne for 2 weeks in May 2012 and we fly, one way, on 6 September.

It is quite a journey to get to this point as I know many of you will appreciate.

Right now we are very busy organising the move and that is a lot of work. We are filling a 40ft container with almost everything we own and shipping the lot as we felt this easier than buying everything when we arrive. The poor kids have had has way less attention than they need and the house must feel very unsettled to them. We have just begun to start saying goodbye to friends and family and we have many more painful ones to come. It's a hectic time. We have never been busier yet at the same time we are trying to see as much of close friends and family whilst we can.

If all of that was not enough, you also have the cleaning! Bloody cleaning. We are quite outdoors people and have a lot of bikes, camping kit etc etc and every bit of it needs a clean. I have cleaned more things than I care to remember and still have some to go.

The car has been sold and our house rented out and we are now in the final stage of sorting through the last rooms. Shippers arrive on 28 August and will need 3 days to pack.

As I reflect now, it strikes me that this process is a big like being pregnant. You are so focused on the labour, you spend very little time thinking about becoming a mum or a dad. In the same way, i have had very little time to think about the next phase of our journey as we shift from organising a move to arriving in and exploring a new country - the point of all the effort required to get a Visa and move overseas! What a great adventure it will be. Underneath all of the current activity I have a great sense of excitement about where the next phase of this journey will take us. There is a little bit of fear about whether it wil work out ok but it makes the excitement all more real and there is also a great sense of achievement in making a dream of an idea become reality.

Everything we do and create starts life as a thought or an idea and some of these gather enough momentum to become reality.

I would like to wish everyone on this forum the best of luck in getting a visa and enjoying life in Australia.

As my Brisbane based, £10 POM uncle always said to me "keep the dream alive".

Great post JB - I sooo empathize with the cleaning ! (Though not on the same scale !)

I've had to clean all my 'horsey' boots - Hunter wellies, joddie boots etc. & yeah, Thank Goodness for the pressure washer - but have now sold the pressure washer on eBay !!!

I do hope you will post again when you are 'sorted'....shall look forward to your up-dates.....:biggrin:

Guest Jassop

A great post, thank you. We are in e aptly the same situation as you and really understand - we also have two kids and seem to be spending huge amounts of time leaning our camping kit!! I wish you all the best. We are all moving o Melbourne in the middle of October xx

Just a quick line to say thanks to everyone for their words of support.

Its nice to know that I am not alone is feeling swamped by the cleanin! Camping kit is a killer with so much scope for little pockets of dirt tucked in nooks and crannies!

Will post again after we arrive in Melbourne.