Perth quarantine FULL until Jan 13 , advise from dog lovers needed please

sh3p69

:animal-dog: Hello Sheps OH here. I have been informed by a shipping company that Perth, Byford quarantine is fully booked until new year 2013. Very disappointed as we are hoping to be flying out with our two little dogs around November 2012 to Perth. Shipper said that the only other option is to fly the dogs to Sydney instead as their quarantine is a lot larger and therefore doesn't fill up as as quick etc. I am trying not to get myself in a state about this but I am really concerned about them being in quarantine in Sydney for 30 days without me being able to visit them. The main worry for me is that they are both rescue dogs (we have had for 5 years) and I am worried that they may think that they have been abandoned again. One of my dogs is particularly shy around strangers and is never more than a foot away from me, I m a Nurse and when I did some night shifts during my training my partner told me he stayed up and was physically sick several times. On the plus side they are both very healthy, only 6 years old and will be sharing a kennel. I have a good offer of a job in Perth so we cant wait until January as I will loose the job. Is there anyone on here who has had experience of shipping dogs to another state, not being able to visit them then getting them an internal flight to where you are, if so how did the dog seem, did they cope, did quarantine ring if they were worried for example if dog didn't eat, seemed ill, do they mind you ringing them for updates. Also Ive seen on here that you can hire dog walkers, this sounds like a great idea, to keep the dogs fit and sane and i was thinking I could also request photos and perhaps send parcels of treats and a blanket with their home scent on it, are theses reasonable ideas? Any help GREATLY appreciated :wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

We do get the other two quarantines at capacity sometimes but unlike Perth we can chose between Sydney and Melbourne as they are not too far apart.

If you do need to get out then look at going to one of the others, both are as good as each other. Until you leave you need to try and distance yourself away from the dogs, yes very hard to do but it will help them in the long run.

You will probably find the dogs cope better than yourself.

A dog walker would be a great idea as its someone extra to watch over them.

lots of hugs :hug:

K

:animal-dog: Hello Sheps OH here. I have been informed by a shipping company that Perth, Byford quarantine is fully booked until new year 2013. Very disappointed as we are hoping to be flying out with our two little dogs around November 2012 to Perth. Shipper said that the only other option is to fly the dogs to Sydney instead as their quarantine is a lot larger and therefore doesn't fill up as as quick etc. I am trying not to get myself in a state about this but I am really concerned about them being in quarantine in Sydney for 30 days without me being able to visit them. The main worry for me is that they are both rescue dogs (we have had for 5 years) and I am worried that they may think that they have been abandoned again. One of my dogs is particularly shy around strangers and is never more than a foot away from me, I m a Nurse and when I did some night shifts during my training my partner told me he stayed up and was physically sick several times. On the plus side they are both very healthy, only 6 years old and will be sharing a kennel. I have a good offer of a job in Perth so we cant wait until January as I will loose the job. Is there anyone on here who has had experience of shipping dogs to another state, not being able to visit them then getting them an internal flight to where you are, if so how did the dog seem, did they cope, did quarantine ring if they were worried for example if dog didn't eat, seemed ill, do they mind you ringing them for updates. Also Ive seen on here that you can hire dog walkers, this sounds like a great idea, to keep the dogs fit and sane and i was thinking I could also request photos and perhaps send parcels of treats and a blanket with their home scent on it, are theses reasonable ideas? Any help GREATLY appreciated :wubclub:

Our two dogs -10 & 14 had to fly to Sydney and then to Perth. No worries whatsoever, they clearly thought they were on holiday. You'll be given the mobile number of the attendant looking after them which you can phone and they'll be happy to keep you informed on how your dogs are doing.

I thought there had been a change in quarantine laws as of 1st January 2012? Quarantine used to be 30 days for dogs from the UK, we had to get ours in before the 1st January to beat the change - or have they backed down on that? There were 50 dogs on that last flight!

Your dogs will be just fine - and you'll be too busy with other things to worry about them. Trust me.

Guest shaunaforoz

Hi,

I was thinking about this when I first considered moving to Oz, could I leave them for 30 days without visiting them, I finally decided that yes it would probably be better for them actually!

I know that may sound strange but you are worried about how they will react if left for thirty days without seeing you, but I suppose my question would be how would they feel if you were visiting them 2-3 times a week and then leaving them there? From all accounts people say that their dogs are happy when they collect them so maybe it would be best to leave them there the whole thirty days and at least when they do see you they get to come home with you. I know it would break my heart if I had to see them a couiple of times a week but not take them home.

It will be hard for you but at least when you do get them back it will be for keeps :o)

Hi, we flew our two labs over in December and because of the rule changes that came in in January we couldn't get them into Melbourne so they ended up in Sydney. I was the same as you, worried, upset etc but we did it and had a dog walker go in who posted pictures online so that we could see them. I was actually put out that they looked so happy in all the pictures! We flew them down from Sydney and it was like they had never been apart from us. As you have the two I'm sure they will be fine. It's always the owners that worry more than the dogs!

The time that we didn't spend travelling to see them meant we could get ourselves nice and settled, find a rental etc. It was the longest we've ever been away from them but we all survived.

Good luck. x

To be honest I think it will be better that your pups go to either Sydney or Melb. We have a cat who stayed at Byford, it is quite remote, we didnt have a car and the buses were every few hours from Perth about an hour plus on bus. We heard both theories, if u dont see your pet they will feel abondoned, and the other, if you see them a few times a week it is worse for them...don't think we will ever know the answer but my partner only visited Byford towards the end of the 30 days (we sent her over a wek before we left the UK) and our cat was pleased to see him. Amazingly my boyfriend met a woman who travelled the world, taking her dog with her, and she offered to take him a few times to make it easier due to the remoteness.

Additionally, it will be around the hottest time of the year (Dec), we arrived first week of Jan, and it was 40+ degrees. I will say that if we did it again, we would not put our cat into Byford, she lost alot of weight and was out in the heat all day her cage was outside, it had a little roof over it but just too hot.

We are in Sydney now, and it is much cooler.

Hope this helps!

There isn't a quarantine station in Brisbane so Oakley had to be in Sydney. He was absolutely fine and we had Dogwalks go in and exercise him, it was great getting facebook updates and photos showing how happy he was. Then we had Jetpets fly him up once he was released from Sydney. Although I felt awful leaving him for that length of time, I would have no doubts about doing it again if need be. It gave us time to get organised, find a rental and it was a great Xmas pressie getting him home at the end of December.

He was also a rescue dog and I was scared in case he thought we had sent him back to the SSPCA, but he survived in one piece (despite losing a tooth somewhere along the way).

My pets went to quarantine in my city but visiting hours are quite restrictive and if you go straight to a job you might not be able to get there to visit anyway. I made it in once and in fact my pets did not benefit from it, they deteriorated because they saw me, expected to go home but then I left and they were left there.

Let them go to Sydney and pay whatever it requires to have someone go in every day and spend time with them and exercise them. The people that work there can only spend limited time with each animal.

Guest Shell15

Not sure if this is of any help, but we are having our dog shipped to Sydney - Eastern Creek in NSW, we will be in QLD.. while he will be there the centre has given me the names of dog walkers who visit up to 4 times a week, taking them for walks, giving cuddles and brushing etc.. and a free toy :) So if Perth is full you could try NSW and then like us, have them flown over to you. I dont think it costs a great deal.. Good luck

My pets went to quarantine in my city but visiting hours are quite restrictive and if you go straight to a job you might not be able to get there to visit anyway. I made it in once and in fact my pets did not benefit from it, they deteriorated because they saw me, expected to go home but then I left and they were left there.

Let them go to Sydney and pay whatever it requires to have someone go in every day and spend time with them and exercise them. The people that work there can only spend limited time with each animal.

I didnt want to say too much, but yes the visiting times are restricted, certain days/times. And our cat lost so much weight, she went from being a chubby little thing to underweight where her spine was sticking out. My boyfriend was heart broken when he visited as nothing you can do, she was left with food that she hadnt touched, and that is not like her, it appeared that they gave her breakfast and dinner at the same time so because of the heat she wouldnt eat it after it was sat in the sun all day. You arent allowed to take your own food but my boyfriend snook some chicken breasts in and fed them to her just to make sure she had eaten something.

I didnt want to say too much, but you yes the visiting times are restricted, certain days/times. And our cat lost so much weigtht, she went from being a chubby littl ething to underweight where her spine was sticking out. My boyfriend was heart broken when he visited as nothing u can do, she was left with food that she hadnt touched, and that is not like her, it appeared that they hav eher breakfast and dinner at the same time so because of the heat she wouldnt eat it after it was sat in the sun all day. You arent allowed to take your own food but my boyfriend snook some chicken breasts in and fed them to her just to make sure she had eaten something.

I didn't want to say some things either. But visiting broke my heart as well. :cry:

Guest Shell15
There isn't a quarantine station in Brisbane so Oakley had to be in Sydney. He was absolutely fine and we had Dogwalks go in and exercise him, it was great getting facebook updates and photos showing how happy he was. Then we had Jetpets fly him up once he was released from Sydney. Although I felt awful leaving him for that length of time, I would have no doubts about doing it again if need be. It gave us time to get organised, find a rental and it was a great Xmas pressie getting him home at the end of December.

He was also a rescue dog and I was scared in case he thought we had sent him back to the SSPCA, but he survived in one piece (despite losing a tooth somewhere along the way).

I'm looking at using Dogwalks, thank you for your post. I am quite anxious about leaving my little man, he is so spoilt, Im not sure how he will cope! It is good hearing a positive story..

We do get the other two quarantines at capacity sometimes but unlike Perth we can chose between Sydney and Melbourne as they are not too far apart.

If you do need to get out then look at going to one of the others, both are as good as each other. Until you leave you need to try and distance yourself away from the dogs, yes very hard to do but it will help them in the long run.

You will probably find the dogs cope better than yourself.

A dog walker would be a great idea as its someone extra to watch over them.

lots of hugs :hug:

K

Thank you for the sympathetic hug and advise. Like you say, they will cope better than me in the long run im sure. Just a lot to think about but it will be worth it to have them with me for the rest of their lives .

Our two dogs -10 & 14 had to fly to Sydney and then to Perth. No worries whatsoever, they clearly thought they were on holiday. You'll be given the mobile number of the attendant looking after them which you can phone and they'll be happy to keep you informed on how your dogs are doing.

I thought there had been a change in quarantine laws as of 1st January 2012? Quarantine used to be 30 days for dogs from the UK, we had to get ours in before the 1st January to beat the change - or have they backed down on that? There were 50 dogs on that last flight!

Your dogs will be just fine - and you'll be too busy with other things to worry about them. Trust me.

Thank you for your reply, that is just excellent news that they give you the attendents number so you can keep up to date with how they are doing. very reassuring. Quarantine rules remain the same, still 30 days but someone else on the pets section has posted a draft proposal from defra suggesting a 10 day quarantine stint instead of 30 days due to uk animals now having the rabies vac and tests etc, the 10 days would just be to ensure no external parasites were carried in, sounds brillaint and would be so much better for the pets sake. But we will have to wait and see what the actual outcome is, and there is no mention of timeframe for when new laws may be put in place.

Hi,

I was thinking about this when I first considered moving to Oz, could I leave them for 30 days without visiting them, I finally decided that yes it would probably be better for them actually!

I know that may sound strange but you are worried about how they will react if left for thirty days without seeing you, but I suppose my question would be how would they feel if you were visiting them 2-3 times a week and then leaving them there? From all accounts people say that their dogs are happy when they collect them so maybe it would be best to leave them there the whole thirty days and at least when they do see you they get to come home with you. I know it would break my heart if I had to see them a couiple of times a week but not take them home.

It will be hard for you but at least when you do get them back it will be for keeps :o)

Thinking about your comments about visiting them then leaving them , again and again and I see what you mean, each time they would be excited thinking that you had come to collect them and take them home and each time they would be let down and probably mope around . Its nice to get another perspective on things, as when your on the inside you just automatically panic at the thought of being seperated for 30 day. thank you.

Hi Sheps, I don't envy your decision. It seems we all love our pets and we seem to be the ones who worry. We are not there yet so have not had any experience of the pet transportation, but believe me I have "grilled" a few people who have gone through it and no one has anything negative to say about the quarantine centres or the staff. I just wanted to give you some support.

I am a nervous wreck about my two hooligans going over. I have to agree with what others have said. We live in Spain at the moment and the heat here is similar to Perth - hot, hot, hot in the summer. My two struggle in the heat and at the moment are both flaked out on the floor, occasionally moving from one cold tile to another. I have thought about the heat in Byford so perhaps they would be better going to Sydney or Melbourne where it would be cooler even during the hotter months. I have also looked at Dogwalks and think that if the hooligans were taken for a walk and given some attention for a short time they would be OK. I think my little terrier (a rescue from 5 months) would really struggle if she were to see me and then I leave (she never leaves my side, she is like a little shadow following me). When we go on hols, we have a lady who looks after them in her home and she loves them and they adore her so I think this would be better for them and they would feel more settled for the 30 days. I have to put aside my feelings and do what is best for them and make it as least stressful as possible and keep thinking about what a lovely life they will have exploring their new home.

I really wish you the best of Luck.

Hi, we flew our two labs over in December and because of the rule changes that came in in January we couldn't get them into Melbourne so they ended up in Sydney. I was the same as you, worried, upset etc but we did it and had a dog walker go in who posted pictures online so that we could see them. I was actually put out that they looked so happy in all the pictures! We flew them down from Sydney and it was like they had never been apart from us. As you have the two I'm sure they will be fine. It's always the owners that worry more than the dogs!

The time that we didn't spend travelling to see them meant we could get ourselves nice and settled, find a rental etc. It was the longest we've ever been away from them but we all survived.

Its lovely to get first hand advise from someone who has flown their dogs to another state. I can appreciate that it will probably be easier having the dogs in quarataine and knowing someobody was caring for them for me while we were free to do all the practical things like sorting out renting, bank accounts, medicare etc etc the list goes on. The dog walker idea has played a huge part in putting a smile back on my face, it will be brilliant to get pics, like my mum said to me, I will be able to tell if they are happy by their faces. I will also feel a whole lot less guilty knowing that they are getting interaction and attention, my little terrier is tennis ball mad so she will think everthing is good as long as she gets her daily game of fetch, and my other little shy boy will appreciate a reassuring tickle and some kind words . Thank you for reassuring me.

To be honest I think it will be better that your pups go to either Sydney or Melb. We have a cat who stayed at Byford, it is quite remote, we didnt have a car and the buses were every few hours from Perth about an hour plus on bus. We heard both theories, if u dont see your pet they will feel abondoned, and the other, if you see them a few times a week it is worse for them...don't think we will ever know the answer but my partner only visited Byford towards the end of the 30 days (we sent her over a wek before we left the UK) and our cat was pleased to see him. Amazingly my boyfriend met a woman who travelled the world, taking her dog with her, and she offered to take him a few times to make it easier due to the remoteness.

Additionally, it will be around the hottest time of the year (Dec), we arrived first week of Jan, and it was 40+ degrees. I will say that if we did it again, we would not put our cat into Byford, she lost alot of weight and was out in the heat all day her cage was outside, it had a little roof over it but just too hot.

We are in Sydney now, and it is much cooler.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your inside knowledge, I can see what you mean about the travel difficulties with Byford and I could imagine that I would feel even worse knowing that they were closer but I couldnt actually manage to visit them as much as i would like. i love the story about the woman who gave him a lift, how random but lovley.

Thinking about your comments about visiting them then leaving them , again and again and I see what you mean, each time they would be excited thinking that you had come to collect them and take them home and each time they would be let down and probably mope around . Its nice to get another perspective on things, as when your on the inside you just automatically panic at the thought of being seperated for 30 day. thank you.

My pets being in quarantine was a horrible time. Don't expect it to be fun. But remember that the overwhemling majority of them come out the other side, a bit grumpy with you and some of them a bit skinnier, but not permanently damaged and then you have the pleasuure of pampering them and wathcing them put their weight back on and settle into their new home.

Great to hear an opinion from someone else who has had a resuce dog do their stint in quarantine. seems like your Oakley did well, minus the tooth hehe, I could deal with a missing tooth its just the emotional stress that I was concerned about. I will check out the dog walking website. like you, if plans go well we would be getting the dogs back in december so that thought would keep me sane, thinking of us being a family again ready for christmas down under, that and the thought of their first walk on the beach and paddle in the sea afeter their spell in quarantine.

Thank you for your advise, i think everyone has well and truly laid my fears to rest, the dogs WILL be going to Sydney. I also plan to find a trusted dog walker, like you say . Also being realsitic when i start my job it will prob be near on impossible to visit them during the last fortnight anyway . thank you I feel like ive had some sense talked into me today!!

Not sure if this is of any help, but we are having our dog shipped to Sydney - Eastern Creek in NSW, we will be in QLD.. while he will be there the centre has given me the names of dog walkers who visit up to 4 times a week, taking them for walks, giving cuddles and brushing etc.. and a free toy :) So if Perth is full you could try NSW and then like us, have them flown over to you. I dont think it costs a great deal.. Good luck

Its nice that they give you the dog walkers numbers, proves that they must be reliable and trusted walkers. FREE TOY.... my dogs really will think they are on holiday. I have also heard it is not very expensive for internal flights too, the shipper who informed me that perth is full( the guy who statred all this comotion hehe) can also organise the internal flights once they have completed quarantine so that sounds very helpfull too.

Guest Shell15

I think from Sydney to QLD the flight is approx $60 - I could be wrong there and maybe that is pounds instead but I would say it is not far of..

Hi Sheps, I don't envy your decision. It seems we all love our pets and we seem to be the ones who worry. We are not there yet so have not had any experience of the pet transportation, but believe me I have "grilled" a few people who have gone through it and no one has anything negative to say about the quarantine centres or the staff. I just wanted to give you some support.

I am a nervous wreck about my two hooligans going over. I have to agree with what others have said. We live in Spain at the moment and the heat here is similar to Perth - hot, hot, hot in the summer. My two struggle in the heat and at the moment are both flaked out on the floor, occasionally moving from one cold tile to another. I have thought about the heat in Byford so perhaps they would be better going to Sydney or Melbourne where it would be cooler even during the hotter months. I have also looked at Dogwalks and think that if the hooligans were taken for a walk and given some attention for a short time they would be OK. I think my little terrier (a rescue from 5 months) would really struggle if she were to see me and then I leave (she never leaves my side, she is like a little shadow following me). When we go on hols, we have a lady who looks after them in her home and she loves them and they adore her so I think this would be better for them and they would feel more settled for the 30 days. I have to put aside my feelings and do what is best for them and make it as least stressful as possible and keep thinking about what a lovely life they will have exploring their new home.

I really wish you the best of Luck.

Thank you for your kind words. climate and temperature wernt something I had thought of. All this info has really reassured me in sending them to Sydney, it does infact after a lot of soul searching and refection seem kinder to send them to Sydney. They are my best friends so I know it wont be an easy ride being seperated from them but leaving them behind is just not an option. I have a little terrier too, rescue so we are not sure exactly what she is but we think patterdale cross jack russel, shes tiny and will no doubt cause a lot of mayhem at the kennels, she has a huge personality and somehow trouble always follows her! My other dog is also rescue so again we can only guess but he has the look of a corgi cross daschund, if you can ever imagine this, hes a sweet quiet soul, mummys boy. They squabble like siblings but im sure they will be a great confort to eachother while in kennels.

thank you again x

I think from Sydney to QLD the flight is approx $60 - I could be wrong there and maybe that is pounds instead but I would say it is not far of..

yep sounds about right to me, i have read that its approx $40-$100 sydney to perth so your estimate sounds about right. reasonable i think, or is that just cos by that time we would be willing to pay anything to get them back?!

Archived