Applying as electrician with bachelor degree!

josephcom

I worked as an electrical technician for 5 years and got my BS degree after that and ever since I've been working as an electrical engineer. but I've recently been assessed by Engineers Australia as "Engineering Technologist", because they believe my BS degree is comparable to the educational level of the AQF Associate Degree and also my Associate Degree is comparable to the educational level of the AQF Certificate 4. Anyway, for three reasons I'm going to apply for visa 189 as an electrician rather than a technologist or a technician:

1. It's highly in demand according to Skillselect Occupation Ceiling much more than a technologist or technician.
  2. This way I can claim for 7 years of work experience rather that 2 years (since it's been 2 years from the time when I got my BS degree which is now considered as Associate Degree).
  3. electrician could be found on Occupation List of ALL states and territories which is not the case for technologists and technicians. I mean I could find state sponsorship much easily.

My questions:

1. Is it possible for TRA to refuse to recognize me as an electrician just because I'm holding a bachelor degree or what I've done does not match the job description of an electrician or whatever.
  2. Does applying for a permanent visa (189) as an electrician means that I will never find a job as a technologist/technician in Australia. Please note that I've been already assessed as technologist by Engineers Australia.

Thank you

Welcome to PIO

From what you have posted you really need to speak to a Registered Migration Agent - regarding which occupation best matches your Qualifications and work experiance.

The issues you have is that TRA without qualifications, require 8 years of work experiance 5 years comparable to Australian Apprentice, and 3 years as fully qualified electrician. The first 5 years can not be used for points purposes. Or if you use your qualification TRA require 3 years post qualification work experiance.

Other issues are - that even if you get a positive skills assessment , you could be refused points for work experience from DIAC as your work experiance is not closely related to the occupation that you have nominated.

If you get your visa you can work in any job once you arrive in Australia.

TRA are not the easiest to get a skills assessment from therefore take professional advice.

From what you have posted you really need to speak to a Registered Migration Agent - regarding which occupation best matches your Qualifications and work experience.
can TRA give me information on that?

The issues you have is that TRA without qualifications, require 8 years of work experience 5 years comparable to Australian Apprentice, and 3 years as fully qualified electrician. The first 5 years can not be used for points purposes. Or if you use your qualification TRA require 3 years post qualification work experience.

I have been working since 2004 with a qualification higher than what is needed for an electrician.

Other issues are - that even if you get a positive skills assessment , you could be refused points for work experience from DIAC as your work experience is not closely related to the occupation that you have nominated.

How are they to find out whether or not my work experience is related or not? Doesn't they use organizations like TRA or Engineers Australia? Do you think what an electrical technician has done for years is not related to what an electrician does?!!

what if I apply as technologist. Does DIAC refuse my work experiences BEFORE 2010 (in which I got my BS degree which has now been assessed as AQF Associate Degree)? I don't understand, does someone like me has NO way to apply for a permanent visa? Do you mean a diploma with no work experience has no difference with me?:confused:

Archived