489 - family Sponsored Visa - SYDNEY - designated areas to live?

Guest fourstars

Guest fourstars

Hi All

We have an immigration consultant applying for our Visa for us (which they previously messed up BIG time last year and now trying again on a different visa as previous one is no longer avail!!).

We are now able to apply for a family member sponsored visa for Aus. My sister is the sponsor with PR, she will be living in Sydney. The visa consultant is only getting back to us next week with our query but wondered if anyone could answer this beforehand as the anticipation is too much!!!

From looking at the government website, I believe that we would not be able to live in Sydney it's self if we get the 489 family sponsored visa. Does this mean that my sister as the sponsor must not be living in Sydney too - or could she live in Sydney, sponsor us and we live outside of Sydney into the designated areas. OR must both of us NOT be living in Sydney and both of us live in the designated.

If anyone has any other advice/suggestions or info with the 489visa I'd love to hear from you! I know this is a new visa since July so not sure how many people have it yet...

Thanks in advance

Im 99% sure both you and your sponsor have to be living in a regional area as they ask for proof that your sponsor lives within one of the designated postcodes such as bills etc.

I've been looking into this visa for my brother in law and I think you can get away with not living in a regional area when you arrive but you really should stick by the rules if you are hoping to get a permanent residency visa after 2 years as its one of the requirements.

I'll try and root out the links to the 489 requirements when I get a chance.

In the mean time if you google 489 document checklist you should find it.

Is your agent a MARA Registered Agent???

The 489 may be a new visa subclass but its conditions are the same as the previous 475 Regional Provisional Visa.

If your sister lives in Sydney she can not be your sponsor for the 489 visa - as the sponsor MUST also live in Regional Australia. When granted all visa applicants must also Live in Regional Australia for 2 years and work fulltime for 1 year to be eligible to apply for the 887 PR visa.

As you were going down the family sponsored route - your occupatiuon must be on SOL 1.

WIth the decrease in points - you maybe eligible for the 189 independent visa, or State Nomination 190. If you require the 10 points you should look at the 489 State NOminated Regional Visa.

Edited by lebourvellec
typo

Guest fourstars

Thank you for your replies. - It was as I thought but wanted to just double check in case I had interpreted it incorrectly. We do have a big global visa company dealing with our visa so I would think they are MARA registered. I have looked at the postcodes - it appears the closest postcode to Sydney is about 110km's from Sydney centre - do you know if this is correct? I used a Sydney postcode/area finder online.

Thanks again for your messages.

Guest fourstars

Can I just double check with all of you 'in the know'! I think the answer is yes - but - is the city of Paramatta considered to be living in Sydney (ie part of the Sydney area my sponsor or myself can not live for this visa?). Thanks again.

If it is the company I think you are using - maybe you should google the company name reviews. As they do not use registered migraition agents out with Australia. It is law that they must be registered in Australia. You should consider using a reputable registered agent, as there is no comeback when they mess up your application, like they already have as the sounds of it. You would be better off doing the application yourself than using this agent.

Parammatta is a suburb of Sydney.

Yes it is correct you and your sponsor need to Live in Regional Australia. What is your occupation - have you checked the NSW state migraition plan.

Hi All

We have an immigration consultant applying for our Visa for us (which they previously messed up BIG time last year and now trying again on a different visa as previous one is no longer avail!!).

We are now able to apply for a family member sponsored visa for Aus. My sister is the sponsor with PR, she will be living in Sydney. The visa consultant is only getting back to us next week with our query but wondered if anyone could answer this beforehand as the anticipation is too much!!!

From looking at the government website, I believe that we would not be able to live in Sydney it's self if we get the 489 family sponsored visa. Does this mean that my sister as the sponsor must not be living in Sydney too - or could she live in Sydney, sponsor us and we live outside of Sydney into the designated areas. OR must both of us NOT be living in Sydney and both of us live in the designated.

If anyone has any other advice/suggestions or info with the 489visa I'd love to hear from you! I know this is a new visa since July so not sure how many people have it yet...

Thanks in advance

Under the new regulations your sister in the Sydney area cannot sponsor you for any skilled visa.

Make sure your case is being managed by a registered migration agent, not a company that has a registered migration agent associated with it.

• 2 months later...
Guest phonglevn
Is your agent a MARA Registered Agent???

The 489 may be a new visa subclass but its conditions are the same as the previous 475 Regional Provisional Visa.

If your sister lives in Sydney she can not be your sponsor for the 489 visa - as the sponsor MUST also live in Regional Australia. When granted all visa applicants must also Live in Regional Australia for 2 years and work fulltime for 1 year to be eligible to apply for the 887 PR visa.

As you were going down the family sponsored route - your occupatiuon must be on SOL 1.

WIth the decrease in points - you maybe eligible for the 189 independent visa, or State Nomination 190. If you require the 10 points you should look at the 489 State NOminated Regional Visa.

Hi Lebourvellec,

I am wondering about the requirements of work full time for one year in regional area like Perth to be eligible for visa 887 while holding visa 489 family sponsorship. However, I do not know what type of work I must do. Do I have to work in closely related occupation or not?

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon

Kind regards,

Sam

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

Im reviving this post like after 2 years! anyway, Sorry to hijack the thread.....i got a question:

1.My sister who stays in Melbourne (thomastown) will be sponsoring me under 489 Provisional visa and from the website below...

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/what-is-a-designated-area-of-australia.aspx

All of Victoria incl. Melbourne is her designated area/state and I can live anywhere in Melbourne. What about work, can I be working anywhere in VIC to qualify for the 887 Permanent residence visa later on?