Any Credit Cards for migrants

rackspace

I am coming to Australia next month and will be having a bank account with NAB.

Obviously, I wont be having any credit history or job in start.

But I found out that I need credit card to get around in Australia like ordering SIM from the mobile operator I want to use.

Is there any way I can get a credit card as soon as I land in Australia. I mean before getting a job.

I dont mind if limit are low. I plan to play all outstanding balance any way.

NAB should provide you with a debit card which should be adequate for most transaction. Over here you are always asked 'cheque, savings or credit' for any transaction you make when you present any card. My guess is that your bank is the most likely to grant you a credit card when you arrive although my guess is they may want to make sure you have regular income before they provide one. I used my UK card for the first year on the rare times my Aussie debit card wasn't my preferred option and then successfully applied for a credit card with a bank that gave me frequent flyer points once I could provide proof of income etc.

NWM

But I found out that I need credit card to get around in Australia like ordering SIM from the mobile operator I want to use.

Is there any way I can get a credit card as soon as I land in Australia. I mean before getting a job.

The credit system works in the opposite way in Oz, so things are a bit different. Instead of starting at 0 points (as it were) and accumulating more 'points' the more credit you take out and pay off (as in the UK), here in Oz you start out with the equivilant of a lovely high score, and the more credit you take out, the less points you have basically. So instead of being rewarded for having more credit, as in the UK, the more credit you have here, the worse it is for you and the more implications that has.

Nab will issue you with a basic debit card when you validate the account out here, which work like a very basic debit card in the UK - ie you can take cash out of a cash point and pay for things in shops, but cannot buy things online with it (I think a Maestro card is like this in the UK maybe?). When you validate the account however, you can ask for a Visa card which should turn up in a week or so (and you can have either a hot pink, or lovely shiny black card from Nab for this :D), which is still a debit card from a UK person's point of view, however it means you can buy things online - it basically is the same as a credit card from the point of view of retailers in Oz, however its linked to your current account and funds are debited from your account at the point of sale (or very soon after). This means you don't actually need what we would call a Credit Card in the UK here in Oz - however retailers etc call it a credit card (even though it isn't) - when you want to buy something and the small print ssays 'credit card only' or 'credit card details' if you enter your Visa debit card details, it is accepted fine - we have done this several times with many different services now and were similarly confused about it. Also, when you go to pay for something in shops with your card, as NWM says, you have to choose from Savings, Cheque or Credit account for the funds to come out of - you choose Credit with the Visa card, and it gives you extra consumer protection as well - that will make more sense when you are here (it still sort of baffles us a bit (and we work in retail now!), but just press the credit button when they ask you if you want savings, cheque or credit lol).

With regards to getting a credit card, you will probably be offered one by your bank as soon as you have a job (I know someone who is here on a WHV, earns min. wage and obviously has to go back to the UK in a few months. After working in her job here for a couple of months, she went to the bank to pay in some money and was offered a credit card and mortgage, based on the fact she had a regular job/income). However, when you go for any credit here, you have to declare what other credit you have and this is taken into account when what credit that organisation will offer you is decided. IE, if you have a credit card with a 10K limit, even if you haven't spent anything on it at all, that is taken into account if you then went for a mortgage and the total mortgage allowed would be lower than if you didn't have the credit card.

So basically, you don't need what we would call a credit card in the UK, just ask NAB for a visa card when you validate and you will be fine :)

I am not quite sure I understand why you think it is essential, especially if you are planning on paying it off in full. Just get a visa debit card as others have suggested. I used visa debit for a year after arriving with no credit card, even though working from the outset. I wasn't turned down for a CC, just decided not to apply immediately. I also bank with NAB although I got my cc with another provider.

The credit system works in the opposite way in Oz, so things are a bit different. Instead of starting at 0 points (as it were) and accumulating more 'points' the more credit you take out and pay off (as in the UK), here in Oz you start out with the equivilant of a lovely high score, and the more credit you take out, the less points you have basically. So instead of being rewarded for having more credit, as in the UK, the more credit you have here, the worse it is for you and the more implications that has.

Nab will issue you with a basic debit card when you validate the account out here, which work like a very basic debit card in the UK - ie you can take cash out of a cash point and pay for things in shops, but cannot buy things online with it (I think a Maestro card is like this in the UK maybe?). When you validate the account however, you can ask for a Visa card which should turn up in a week or so (and you can have either a hot pink, or lovely shiny black card from Nab for this :D), which is still a debit card from a UK person's point of view, however it means you can buy things online - it basically is the same as a credit card from the point of view of retailers in Oz, however its linked to your current account and funds are debited from your account at the point of sale (or very soon after). This means you don't actually need what we would call a Credit Card in the UK here in Oz - however retailers etc call it a credit card (even though it isn't) - when you want to buy something and the small print ssays 'credit card only' or 'credit card details' if you enter your Visa debit card details, it is accepted fine - we have done this several times with many different services now and were similarly confused about it. Also, when you go to pay for something in shops with your card, as NWM says, you have to choose from Savings, Cheque or Credit account for the funds to come out of - you choose Credit with the Visa card, and it gives you extra consumer protection as well - that will make more sense when you are here (it still sort of baffles us a bit (and we work in retail now!), but just press the credit button when they ask you if you want savings, cheque or credit lol).

With regards to getting a credit card, you will probably be offered one by your bank as soon as you have a job (I know someone who is here on a WHV, earns min. wage and obviously has to go back to the UK in a few months. After working in her job here for a couple of months, she went to the bank to pay in some money and was offered a credit card and mortgage, based on the fact she had a regular job/income). However, when you go for any credit here, you have to declare what other credit you have and this is taken into account when what credit that organisation will offer you is decided. IE, if you have a credit card with a 10K limit, even if you haven't spent anything on it at all, that is taken into account if you then went for a mortgage and the total mortgage allowed would be lower than if you didn't have the credit card.

So basically, you don't need what we would call a credit card in the UK, just ask NAB for a visa card when you validate and you will be fine :)

huh? you cannot buy things online with a debit card?:chatterbox:

huh? you cannot buy things online with a debit card?:chatterbox:

It depends what you mean by 'debit card'. Its rather a confusing matter in some ways, because what Australia calls a debit card, and what the UK would call a debit card are two separate things - a bit like in the US they call a rubbish bin a trash can - same thing, different name.

To buy things online in Australia, you need a VISA card (or a Mastercard etc credit card, but that will confuse matters for the purpose of this explanation, so this is just dealing with 'things you would not call a credit card in the UK' that you would require a credit check for). The standard bank card you are given on a current account is called an EFTPOS card, which you can use in shops and in ATMs to get money out or pay for things. You can apply for (and I don't think its a case of you wouldn't get it if you applied for it, its not like its credit scored or anything, you just don't get it without asking for it) a VISA card when you validate/open a current bank account in Australia. This is what would be called a debit card in the UK, and what you would get as standard with a current account in the UK. It comes under the name of credit card here in Australia, but it is NOT what you would call a credit card in the UK, as it is linked to your current account and will only release funds (to buy something in a shop/give you money from an ATM or purchase something online) if you have money in the account (or have an overdraft facility on that account iyswim). IE you have available funds.

So no, you cannot buy things online in Australia if you have the basic EFTPOS card - its a bit like in the UK a few years ago, if you had a bad credit rating a bank would give you a very basic debit card (I think it was Electron back then) that you basically could only buy things in shops or from the cash point with, rather than a 'normal' Switch type card that you could use online etc, like a normal person. (I'm going back probably about 10 odd years here - I don't know how long that went on for and if they still do this in the UK or not - I seem to remember Electron and Maestro cards being accepted online in recent years, so don't know if this very basic 'access to your money' card was dropped or it became a different brand name instead).

If you have a UK debit card, then its fine, you can purchase things online in Australia from your UK bank account - you just have to ask for a VISA card when validating your account here in Australia though if you are living off the money in that, as it makes life a lot easier (imho). Its not a stresser at all, you just ask them for one (you even get the choice at our bank to have it a fancy colour, which you don't with the normal EFTPOS card, so a double reason to get one lol), and it comes in about a week.

Different country, different language - Australian is not the same as UK English in lots of ways it seems, most of them you don't even notice, but sometimes it does cause a bit of a headache - like this one lol :)

It depends what you mean by 'debit card'. Its rather a confusing matter in some ways, because what Australia calls a debit card, and what the UK would call a debit card are two separate things - a bit like in the US they call a rubbish bin a trash can - same thing, different name.

To buy things online in Australia, you need a VISA card (or a Mastercard etc credit card, but that will confuse matters for the purpose of this explanation, so this is just dealing with 'things you would not call a credit card in the UK' that you would require a credit check for). The standard bank card you are given on a current account is called an EFTPOS card, which you can use in shops and in ATMs to get money out or pay for things. You can apply for (and I don't think its a case of you wouldn't get it if you applied for it, its not like its credit scored or anything, you just don't get it without asking for it) a VISA card when you validate/open a current bank account in Australia. This is what would be called a debit card in the UK, and what you would get as standard with a current account in the UK. It comes under the name of credit card here in Australia, but it is NOT what you would call a credit card in the UK, as it is linked to your current account and will only release funds (to buy something in a shop/give you money from an ATM or purchase something online) if you have money in the account (or have an overdraft facility on that account iyswim). IE you have available funds.

So no, you cannot buy things online in Australia if you have the basic EFTPOS card - its a bit like in the UK a few years ago, if you had a bad credit rating a bank would give you a very basic debit card (I think it was Electron back then) that you basically could only buy things in shops or from the cash point with, rather than a 'normal' Switch type card that you could use online etc, like a normal person. (I'm going back probably about 10 odd years here - I don't know how long that went on for and if they still do this in the UK or not - I seem to remember Electron and Maestro cards being accepted online in recent years, so don't know if this very basic 'access to your money' card was dropped or it became a different brand name instead).

If you have a UK debit card, then its fine, you can purchase things online in Australia from your UK bank account - you just have to ask for a VISA card when validating your account here in Australia though if you are living off the money in that, as it makes life a lot easier (imho). Its not a stresser at all, you just ask them for one (you even get the choice at our bank to have it a fancy colour, which you don't with the normal EFTPOS card, so a double reason to get one lol), and it comes in about a week.

Different country, different language - Australian is not the same as UK English in lots of ways it seems, most of them you don't even notice, but sometimes it does cause a bit of a headache - like this one lol :)

thanks for the explanation.

So when I'll validate my identity in person (upon opening the account online) can i just straight up ask for the debit card rather than the ATM card?

thanks for the explanation.

So when I'll validate my identity in person (upon opening the account online) can i just straight up ask for the debit card rather than the ATM card?

No worries :)

We had heard that you can ask for the Visa/Debit card to be applied for before you validate the account before we flew out (so you can get it when you validate the account), but our experience was you could only apply for it on the day you validated the account (ie so you couldn't have it physically in your possession on the day you turned up to the bank), and then it would arrive about 5-7 days later at the bank for you to pick up, which isn't a hassle as you can survive for a week without having to buy stuff online etc - lets be honest, it takes a few days to get over the jet lag anyway!

In practise for us, it took a lot longer, as our bank totally and utterly c*cked up our account which caused us no end of hassles (mainly because we weren't settling in a town/city, but going off travelling for many months, so had to keep going back to Perth for many weeks as they continuously messed it up). But I think we are just the kind of people that things like that happen to, so for more normal mortals whom don't get into annoyingly frustrating situations at the drop of a hat, you just request it when you validate the bank account in person, and a week later return to the branch to pick up the card (or have it posted to you). And then you're set :D

Yeah, we took the time to validate our account in the Westpac in London (you can do this with the other banks too) before we emigrated and arranged to pick up the card in a branch in Sydney the day we arrived. All went smoothly and we were able to then get our mobile phone and driving license immediately too as the bank card along with a printed statement from the branch with our new (but temporary) address and Passport was enough to get everything else.

NWM

Archived