cars

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Graham not sure with how it works in Perth but when we brought our car from Vic to Qld we had to get another roadworthy and pay for rego from scratch, we then could send our Vic rego back to them for a refund. In regards to number plates we just took it in to the Transport Office they took our Vic ones and handed us some QLD ones there and then

In WA, you have two weeks to change your registration to local registration once you get into the state - most of my WA contacts who still have, for example, three months' NSW registration left on the vehicle have usually been able to get around it and use it until it's due if the seller in NSW doesn't mind. If they do, then the plates will need to be removed before you drive away, and you'll need to get an unregistered vehicle permit to cover you for the journey. NSW RTA will issue you one of them, but you will need to specify the route you plan to take to get to WA. I got one in SA and wrote "Modbury to Hobart via (listed the main roads)", for example. Bear in mind you'll be driving without number plates, so expect the local constabulary to pull you over once or twice on the trip!

So....

Looking at buying in NSW.

Am I correct in thinking all I need is a NSW road saftey cert ?

If I take my NSW Road saftey Cert to QLD transport, I can get the car rego changed to QLD long as I do it within 14 days ?

It should cost about $100

is that right or am I missing something ?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Here is a question: Is there any chance to get car credit in Oz if you are just on a working visa? I'd love to buy a new car- but afraid it will take a minute to save up and buy it with cash. :nah:

Any info will be helpful. Im sure somebody already asked that, but cant find the thread :notworthy:

Archived