Info on stop overs

cronemeister

Hi

My family and I are coming out to Oz soon, but due to how things are moving here at home I am going to have to come out alone in the next 4 weeks.

My missus and our two kids (11 and 13) will be following me out at the end of October.

My question is with regards to the number of different places there could be a stopover on their flights, depending on which airline we go with.

Can anyone please advise on what the airports are like at Hong Kong, Dubai and Singapore for stopovers in terms of how easy it is to navigate around the place to make the connecting flight (if changing planes).

We are flying from Heathrow to Melbourne.

My preference would be for them to fly direct, but I can't seem to find any prices for direct flights, all I'm getting are 1 and 2 stop flights. I am a worldly traveller...at least around central Europe so I have no trouble myself navigating such situations, however I'm not so sure about the missus...especially with 2 kids in tow.

I'm using tripmama which is quite good as it searches a load of different websites offering flights.

Any other tips on websites would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dubai airport is a nightmare--for the simple fact that its so large and that you have got to walk miles to get from one terminal to another--there are a few travelators but there is a long walk. if missus is travelling alone it might be difficult--if you are there as well its doable. I've travelled with and without hubby and know the difference. Luckily the last time I did it without OH was before the new terminal was built! Now I wouldnt.

P.S--just saw that your kids are 11 and 13--then it shouldn't be a problem! With toddlers it could get difficult.

Hi

My family and I are coming out to Oz soon, but due to how things are moving here at home I am going to have to come out alone in the next 4 weeks.

My missus and our two kids (11 and 13) will be following me out at the end of October.

My question is with regards to the number of different places there could be a stopover on their flights, depending on which airline we go with.

Can anyone please advise on what the airports are like at Hong Kong, Dubai and Singapore for stopovers in terms of how easy it is to navigate around the place to make the connecting flight (if changing planes).

My preference would be for them to fly direct, but I can't seem to find any prices for direct flights, all I'm getting are 1 and 2 stop flights. I am a worldly traveller...at least around central Europe so I have no trouble myself navigating such situations, however I'm not so sure about the missus...especially with 2 kids in tow.

I'm using tripmama which is quite good as it searches a load of different websites offering flights.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. There are no direct flights. Singapore airport is a marvel and would be my choice every time. Hong Kong also very well organised but not as interesting. Singapore is also great fro kids with a pool, great kid facilities and even a slide between floors:biggrin:

There is no 'Direct Flight'

The nearest thing is going on BA or QANTAS they land in Singapore or Bangkok but you get off the plane and back on the same plane

All the other airlines fly to their home country: Singapore Airlines to Singapore, Thai Air to Thailand (Bangkok), Emirates to Dubai, Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, Malaysia Airways to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) and so on.....at each of those places you change planes

Singapore is probably the best airport to fly to (Singapore Airlines, BA or QANTAS), its very easy to get round, there are loads of places to get food and drink, shopping and so on

There is also a Transit Hotel, if your stopover is a few hours where you can book in 6 hours blocks (then any additional time in 1 hour blocks) where you can get showered and changed or just have a nap

Have only been to Singapore out of the 3 but it was great. Loads of shops and places to eat and easy to navigate and seemed small if that makes sense! Free computers to use for wifi, free foot massages (and places where you can pay for cheap massages - great for aching backs after long flight from UK), free swimming pool and hotel. also if there stopover time is long, they could get a tour of the city for cheap also.

I am sure it will keep the kids entertained and your wife not feeling too stressed.

Good Luck!

singapore

two things..swimming pool is free so pack your trunks and also if you are stopping over for more than 4 hours they do free town tours

It's only free if you're staying at the hotel. otherwise it's about SIN15-18 iirc (can pay by card)

Hi

Thanks in advance.

It's not just about the stopover IMO. Both Dubai and Singapore airports are fine but when traveling with children there are other considerations - Emirates and Singapore airlines are consistently voted the best airlines for longhaul so that would be my starting point. I have also found with kids it's better to do the 'long leg' first so when going from the UK I would look at going Singapore. The other consideration is baggage allowance, Emirates offer 30kg as standard and Singapore 23kg although if you are on an unvalidated visa with a one way ticket you may get more. There are lots of other things to consider of course i.e. time of flight, length of stopover, price, frequent flyer perks etc.

Personally, based on the info you have put, I would choose to fly on the A380 where possible with Singapore Airlines on a night flight.

NWM

Hi. There are no direct flights. Singapore airport is a marvel and would be my choice every time. Hong Kong also very well organised but not as interesting. Singapore is also great fro kids with a pool, great kid facilities and even a slide between floors:biggrin:

So this pool at singapore airport.... do i need to pack my budgie smugglers in my carry on luggage or do they dish out free ones there ?

Thanks.

So this pool at singapore airport.... do i need to pack my budgie smugglers in my carry on luggage or do they dish out free ones there ?

Thanks.

pack your budgie smugglers in your hand luggage in a ziplock bag. They provide towels.

It's not just about the stopover IMO. Both Dubai and Singapore airports are fine but when traveling with children there are other considerations - Emirates and Singapore airlines are consistently voted the best airlines for longhaul so that would be my starting point. I have also found with kids it's better to do the 'long leg' first so when going from the UK I would look at going Singapore. The other consideration is baggage allowance, Emirates offer 30kg as standard and Singapore 23kg although if you are on an unvalidated visa with a one way ticket you may get more. There are lots of other things to consider of course i.e. time of flight, length of stopover, price, frequent flyer perks etc.

Personally, based on the info you have put, I would choose to fly on the A380 where possible with Singapore Airlines on a night flight.

NWM

Done exactly that. Our plans have changed slightly as well in that I'm now bringing my son (10) with me and my partner and daughter following us out there at the end of October so it should be a lot easier for her to make the trip only having one kid in tow.

We're booked on the 18:30 out of Heathrow with a 9 hour stopover in Singapore on the way - Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 (upper deck). Can't wait.

The little one is hyper as well !

Done exactly that. Our plans have changed slightly as well in that I'm now bringing my son (10) with me and my partner and daughter following us out there at the end of October so it should be a lot easier for her to make the trip only having one kid in tow.

We're booked on the 18:30 out of Heathrow with a 9 hour stopover in Singapore on the way - Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 (upper deck). Can't wait.

The little one is hyper as well !

Because your stopover in Singapore is more than 4 hours you can get a free trip into the city which might be fun - my kids loved the zoo there when they were younger - there is even a night safari which is really good if your flight times allow. On the other hand you may just want to consider booking into the hotel in the airport and trying to catch some sleep and freshen up etc.

Enjoy whatever you decide

NWM

Archived