Is it really this bad in Queensland . . .

spenner

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Report suggests that Queensland is in the s**t, how true is this or is it just a case of the new leadership scaremongering by slagging off the old one?

Is there any point point leaving one sinking ship for another?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-24/qld-on-verge-of-bankruptcy-newman/4151006?section=qld

Perths booming go there, lol

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Haha Hoff, but I can't, I'm going over on a 119 RSMS to Cairns.

You might get lucky if theres a mini crash in Quensland you might make a killing on an house, best of luck, Cairns looks incredible.

He's just scaremongering in order to get the federal government to give him a break.

In essense, he's not wrong. The previous administration borrowed large quantities of money to fund an expansion of the public sector. The problem is that the private sector hasn't grown enough to support this, in spite of "the mining boom", so cuts to the public sector will have to be made. It's going to get pretty tough for those who work in the public sector. Although there are expanding industries here, it doesn't really mean that a redundant social services admin clerk in Brisbane can fill the role of a pipe welder in Rockhampton. As id often said, "there's a skills shortage, not a people shortage". How you'll do will depend on what trade you're in.

On the bright side Cairns is really a lovely small city, and it's also expanding in a way which is better prepared than Brisbane.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about the downsizing of the public sector. In my experience, immigrants generally don't get public sector jobs, the effects will be centered on Brisbane and its' environs, and ultimately the cost cutting should ease the burden on the private sector which may provide an impetus for real productive growth.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slightly different perspective to Xenon4017... the government borrowed to build the infrastructure needed for the mining industry to make it's money, and to fund the huge expansion in SEQ as huge numbers of migrants arrived in Brissie/Sunny Coast/Gold Coast. Basically capitalising on opportunities to grow the economy as the rest of the world was being hit hard by the GFC. Then they had to borrow to rebuild after the floods and the cyclone - not cheap and not finished.

The new government are scaremongering so that they can cut 20% of the workforce, but it's hitting the private sector in Brisbane too, with many companies suffering as the government cuts contracts. It's pretty unnecessary and very politically driven, but I don't think it will last. The state had tremendous assets and is in a far better state than the rest of the world, but Aussies are very ready to believe the doom and gloom stories. As an example, they are continually told, and believe, that they are the highest taxed country in the world, but I pay about half the amount of tax that I paid in the UK!

Worth checking out how Cairns has been affected - I'd read the local paper, but also expect it to bounce back pretty quick.

The previous administration actually shrunk most of the back office public sector on a per capita basis. The mass increase was confined to playing mass catch up on front line services especially health/police. We now have a health dept that provides the services of NSW, VIC but still pay less tax than them. Rather than consider increasing taxes to support these services they are going to cut services. Political.

I hope not!!!!! We certainly don't want to leave one sinking ship in Spain to find ourselves on another in QLD:confused:

not sinking where your going im told !! quite the opposite....

The Mackay / Isaac / Whitsunday region produces half of all coal produced in Australia and three quarters of all coal exported. Understandably, the region is the focus of mind boggling capital works projects.

Population growth in Mackay over the five years to 2009 has averaged 3.3% p.a. compared with the state average of 2.6% and as at 2010 stands at approximately 119,000.

The region incorporating the Mackay, Isaac and Whitsunday local government areas generated in excess of $18 billion in economic value in 2009-10 making this one of the fastest growing economies in Queensland.

The regional outlook remains positive with over $81 billion in proposed and approved investment projects recorded at the end of June 2011.

[h=1]What Fuels Mackays Growth?[/h] The region's growth is fuelled by the boom in the mining industry, resurgence in agriculture, continued growth in tourism and an emerging marine sector.

Mackay has over 86,000 hectares of cane land and produces more than one-third of Australia’s sugar cane, which is why Mackay is known as the sugar capital of Australia. Mackay’s largest sugar mill is located in Marian, 20km west of the city centre and it is the largest employer in the surrounding Pioneer Valley.

The Regional Economic & Development Council (REDC) tracks major projects in the Mackay / Isaac / Whitsunday region. The following sample of some current and proposed projects from the “Regional Development Register June 2011” illustrates the staggering growth of the region with planned investment of over $46 billion across just 22 projects

not sinking where your going im told !! quite the opposite....

WhoooooHoooooo I know, got really excited about it all today for the first time now that I have done my research. Looking forward to the day when we can all sit down with a beer (large glass of fizzy water for me) and relax and drink to our beautiful new town in the Tropics.

WhoooooHoooooo I know, got really excited about it all today for the first time now that I have done my research. Looking forward to the day when we can all sit down with a beer (large glass of fizzy water for me) and relax and drink to our beautiful new town in the Tropics.

Ah yes, the "Chardonnay moment". It'll happen, and it won't matter if the deck you're sat on is big or small, or if the sun is shining, or even what the wines like. Eventually you'll get a minute to yourself to consider that you've managed to move your life half way around the world. Unless you plan to subsequently live on Mars, it can't get any harder than that.

Archived