medical insurance for 457 visa

shefg

we are currently applying for a 457 visa and need to sort out medical insurance for the family. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good but cheap company to use?

When working on a 457 do you qualify for medicare, as this may affect the level of medical cover we buy.

Thanks for your help.

shefg

Hello

We are on a 457 Visa, we are with Bupa and pay $190 per month. Which is compulsory.

It's called the Visitors Classic Cover. It covers 2 Adults & 2 Children. It's doesn't cover dental or eye care, but emergency treatment and Ambo Cover.

It's also best to get Medicare I recently visited the Doctors and handed my Medicare card over and didn't have to pay Recommend find a Doctor that does Bulk Payments. However we do have to pay medicine like the UK.

I am going back to the UK, but because my husband is staying extra months he still has to pay the full amount of cover which is weird I thought they would reduce it as there will only be 2 of them on the cover. it confusing. Good Luck

You only need the cover for entry into oz. Once there you can cancel the policy & use medicare only. Good idea to get a different policy which covers ambo costs etc.

If your Irish then you don't get a medicare card, you just need to present your passport at A&E or the chemist. Pay for the GP visit fee, each visit.

Guest lisa crowe

We're on a 457.....Use Australian Unity $240 a month....2 adults, 1 child, covers most things, including dentist and ambulance....You don't have to have extra cover on a 457 if from the UK, but I'd recommend it, as you never know when you'll need it.

Guest Chloe19888

Hi everyone!

I know that you can have discounts on Medical Insurance by applying to one through an affiliate firm. That's what I did: Australiance offers 10% on Chapka's medical insurance. You can check their website and don't hesitate to contact them they may help you to find what you want!

Good luck!

Chloé

Just to clarify, medicare has nothing to do with a 457, and everything to do with your nationality. Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with Australia that entitles you to limited medicare cover (but not elective procedures).

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/health-care-for-visitors-to-australia

If you are eligible, then this cover is enough to satisfy the health cover requirements of a 457 visa (so you just need insurance to cover you for your first few days until you can register with medicare)

If you're not in Queensland (which provides free ambulance service to it's residents) you should at the very least get ambulance cover, any further health insurance is optional.

Guest trasi

Got BUPA..... we are a Family of 6..... Go to there website...... you can choose what you want and get quotes.....we all got covered (inc. ambulance) for $51 a week.

Like previously mentioned, its only needed for entry then you can cancel and pay for 'extras' you might want.

Archived