parents ????

mandymcqueen

Can anyone help. We are going to Sunshine Coast on a student visa, that is me, OH and our 1 year old son.

Problem is that my mum is supposed to be coming over too, she is planning on pretty much retiring to babysit so I can study and work. She doesnt want to rule out working all togther.

I have looked at the Investors Retirement Visa but it all seems so complicated, also am I right in thinking that my mum wouldnt be able to apply for any type of parent visa because I will only be on a student visa.

If anyone has any suggestions or info it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mandy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mandy

I have been through the threads you have started to try to get an idea of the facts of your situation and of the background to your question but you have not given enough information for anyone to be able to advise you fully, my love.

In this particular thread you seem to be concerned about your mother.

Can she satisfy the key criteria for a Contributory Parent visa, please? You can work it out from this link:

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

If not, could she afford an Investor Retirement visa instead? The details are here:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

To qualify for an Investor Retirement Visa, your mother would need a minimum of $1,000,000 AUD (yep, one million dollars) to invest in Australia plus an income of ot less than $50,000 AUD per annum to live on.

If Mum has the money for an Investor Retirement visa then the best bet - by miles - is for you and your mother to obtain proper advice, jointly, from either Go Matilda in Southampton or Ian Harrop and Associates near Oxford. The Investor Retirement visa is a pretty unusual visa, so an Agent without solid and demonstrable experience of advising applicants for them would be of no use to your family.

If your mother is not eligible for Parent migration and cannot afford Investor Retirement, then she would not be able to "move to Australia" with you. She could go and visit you there, for sure, but probably only for up to six or 8 months at a time, interspersed with respectably long periods back home in the UK. Whilst in Australia, she would not be ableto undertake any sort of paid work, however. So it would be something of a "part-of-each-year" arrangement for your Mum, I am afraid.

If you want to look into this third option in more depth, the relevant visa would be a subclass 676 long stay tourist visa. The details are here:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for the reply.

Well we have been through every option for myself, OH and our son to get to Oz and have finally settled on the student visa route. That is why all my posts vary so much.

The plan was always for my mum to move with us, but the priority was getting our own visas sorted first. But now as we are going on a student visa I dont think my mum can come on a Contributory Parents Visa as I dont have permanent Residency.

There is no way she could afford the Investors visa, if only, unless she has a secret stash I dont know about haha.

The only thing I can think of so far is for my mum to apply to TAFE and come on a student visa aswell.

thanks

Mandy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mandy

Let us say that you spend 2 years in Oz as a student ad then you are successful in obtaining PR. Thetwo years that you have already spend would count towards proving that you are "settled" for the purpose of Sponsoring your Mum for a CP visa.

Are you an only child? If so, it might encourage DIAC to be more sympathetic towards your Mum than they might be towards another mother who still has children in the UK.

In your original post or one of your earlier threads, you said that the ideaof Mum accompanying you to Oz is so that she can look after your little one whilst you are at college? She won't be able to do that if she is at college as well, surely?

Also, what is the point of your Mum working part time in Oz if the amount she could earn would be equal to or less than it would cost her to have a student visa and be doing a course in her own right? (Add in the cost of outside child care for the nipper because Mum would not be available for that task during college hours.)

I don't think your family would be any less well-off if your mother doesn't bother about student courses or working but is on a long stay tourist visa instead.

Now that we know that you could tell DIAC that the plan is for Mum to apply for a CP visa as soon as she can, I think you could probably get quite a lot of sympathy from them with long-stay tourist visas. More sympathy than a 'normal' parent could expect.

Also, how old is your Mum at present and how old would she be by the time you get PR in Oz? There is another possible angle to consider in this but it depends on how old your Mum owuld be at the time when she would be eligible to apply for a CP visa.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for all your advice on this, I really appreciate it.

Well I am an only child, and my mum will be 58 by the time we actually make to move to OZ so she would have just turned 60 by the time we can apply for PR.

My mum says that she is prepared to pretty much do anything to come with us and to be honest I dont know if I can make the move if she cant, but saying that if it is only a couple of years until she could come it might be ok.

The original plan was for mum to babysit, but I have a friend in OZ that has recently had a baby and has said she would babysit while I am at College, so that takes the pressure off there, thank goodness.

thanks again

Mandy

Hi Mandy

Gill has pretty much covered all the options open to your mother - being student visa, visitor visa for 6 to 8 months of the year or waiting until you have permanent visa.

A possible idea would be for her to keep her options open and come out with you on a 3 month electronic visa. She is there then to help you settle in and start your course. she can the also check out study options to see if they are feasible. She can alss call on the local DIAC office and see what their view is on:

1 extending 3 months to 12 months

2 how long would they require you to be out before returning on another 3 month visitor visa with a view of extending that one up to 12 months - you will find different attitudes in each office and you may be surprised by the answer you get if she pleads her case in person.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

Archived