Where to start???

nscott88

Hiya,

I'm 24 from Glasgow and aiming to leave for Oz in October 2013 - a bit away but i like to be organised! :) I think I have a plan in my head but its kind of mush and i've read so much on this forum and other sites now i'm kinda lost ha!

I want to go to Oz for at least a year, start in Darwin or Cairns then end up in Melbourne or Sydney. Hopefully i'll have about £8k savings with me by the time I go and the plan is to travel & do things for 5 or 6 weeks then start work (if i get something!) My current job just now is a 'Finance Officer' and i have been working in accountancy for 5 years and gradually worked my way up. In a shorten version of my job description, i'm a non-qualified Accountant. I have an HNC in Accounting and been with my current company for 3 years.

Where do I start on getting the ball rolling? I cant find if my job is on the skilled lists as i dont have the qualifications to go with my title. How do i go about getting a visa? When should I apply? Who should I contact about jobs? Are hostels the best place to stay until i find perm accommodation when i'm settled in a city? Whats the best way to travel around?

Ive heard of people getting sponsored by companies - how does this work?

Any help is appreciated! :) x

Hiya,

I'm 24

aiming to leave for Oz in October 2013

I want to go to Oz for at least a year, start in Darwin or Cairns then end up in Melbourne or Sydney.

So you will be 25 next year and you only want to go for 'at least a year'

You meet all the criteria for this

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

If you do 3 months regional work, you can extend it to 2 years

Unless you have used yours already - a WHV will be what you are looking for. Once granted you have 12 months to enter Australia, for the visa to be activated, if you are looking to go Oct 2013, maybe apply for you anytime after November 2012. This visa cost around $280.

From what you have posted - you would unlikely be eligible for Skilled Visa.

If you are looking to move to Australia on a Permanent basis, you may have to consider doing the Professional Accountantcy qualifications.

Thanks for ur replies! :)

Are u only able to work for the same company for up to 6months if u have a Whv? Would it be possible to get accountancy work for this length of time? With the sponsor, how does that actually work and how do u go about it?

Got some other questions too, sorry! I'm just a bit confused with it all lol. How do i go about getting a visa? Who should I contact about jobs? Are hostels the best place to stay until i find perm accommodation when i'm settled in a city? Whats the best way to travel around?

Cheers! :)

Guest dstreeten105

I heard from a friend that hostels are much affordable. So, I think it's a good idea to stay in a hostel while you're still working your way to staying longer. Also, this link: http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/ might help you with your visa inquiry.

For your success, cheers! :biggrin:

Guest Lisaa20

Hi

I'm also looking to head out to Australia round about Oct , Nov next year. I'm just unsure whether I should go with Ozintro which is highly recommended by people or just save up get my visa & go alone? Not doing Ozintro will save me money but i'm new to this so pretty confused by it all & if i'll be okay going alone?

Archived